Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 04:04 PM

67 posts, read 294,087 times

Advertisements

I am a new nurse and am seriously considering (about 99% sure) moving to El Paso to go to work at Las Palmas Medical Center. I currently live in E. Texas and can't wait to get out of here! I have done some research on El Paso and really LOVE the fact that it is one of the safest cities of its size.

However, I don't know much else. Anyone work at Las Palmas or had any experience with Las Palmas?? It is a good place to learn as I am a brand new nurse! I have a BSN.

Also, I need a place to live. I want to live near the hospital and just want something small, safe and clean. I really like old buildings that have been renovated or small houses. I don't really like the newly built, luxury apartments. I like something with character.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Or if you know a realtor that can help..... that would be great!!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 04:43 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,120,570 times
I think you will like Las Palmas. That area is stacked with medical facilities so you will immediately have options. Did you already get hired?

Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 PM

507 posts, read 2,057,669 times
yoo espeek thee espanish? That will help here porque todo el mundo aqui solo habla espanol.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:46 PM

I have a final interview next week. I am remaining optimistic! br7or14, I do not speak spanish. But can't wait to learn!!!

Old 10-16-2009, 06:10 PM

20 posts, read 66,721 times
Welcome to El Paso. It is a dynamic city growing all the time. We have a medical school, UTEP and NMSU only 30 miles away. Las Palmas is a great hospital. I have a few friends working there and they love it. As for housing, I’m a full-time realtor and would be happy to pull up a list of affordable apts. But I personally recommend the townhomes (very reasonably priced for the sq. feet) at Camino Real on Yarbrough. Let me know, and l’ll get you the manager’s number. Hope this helps.

Yvonne Russell,
Russell-realtor.com

Last edited by yrusse1; 10-16-2009 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: html code showing up

Old 10-16-2009, 06:50 PM

Good attitude. Don't sweat the Spanish.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,541,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbug35 View Post
I have a final interview next week. I am remaining optimistic! br7or14, I do not speak spanish. But can't wait to learn!!!
You can easily learn Spanish the immersion method here. For a nurse, speaking Spanish is almost essential.

If you want to live near Las Palmas and like older homes, I think you would like Sunset Heights - the homes there are older, historic and have a lot of character. Otherwise Kern place has charming older homes, or living downtown or central could be an option too, Las Palmas is close to downtown and the central area of town.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You can easily learn Spanish the immersion method here. For a nurse, speaking Spanish is almost essential.
That is opinion as it is not a job requirement. White, Filipino, and Black nurses don't seem to have any trouble performing the job.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I have every intention of learning as much spanish as I can. I currently live in E. Texas which has a high population of spanish speaking residents. We have a phone system at the hospital that helps us to communicate and overcome the language barrier. Hoping for the same system there!

I definitely like older homes with character. I will check out the suggested areas. Thanks again.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,541,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
That is opinion as it is not a job requirement. White, Filipino, and Black nurses don't seem to have any trouble performing the job.
I would assume they know at least some Spanish. Being white, filipino, or black does not mean they know no Spanish. When a patient tells the nurse "tengo dolor" or "necesito ir al bano", the nurse has to respond in some way, or else the nurse aides do the communicating.

Language matters less in the hospitals expecially where specialized skills are needed than in doctor's offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: