U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,604 times

Advertisements

Hi - I know there are similar threads to the question I'm going to ask, but I am looking for actual specific neighborhoods to live in El Paso. My husband took a federal civilian job at Ft. Bliss - we are not military - so we will be living off base. Most people have said to live "east" or "west" but didn't say a name of an area. We are a family of 4 (2 small kids) and I'm hoping to find an area that is safe, with good schools, and some shopping! Well, at least a Target and a Starbucks When looking at the map, I see areas called "Stonebridge" and "Sunrise Acres"... is there any specific neighborhoods people can recommend that are relatively close to the base as well? Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 06:27 PM

121 posts, read 239,763 times
It's too varied. You have investigate individual houses and neighborhoods in person. Only thing I can say is that the eastside is nearer to Ft. Bliss than the westside.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:37 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,371,235 times
It sounds like the Tierras would be a good fit for you.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:53 PM

47,585 posts, read 35,961,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livyholmes View Post
Hi - I know there are similar threads to the question I'm going to ask, but I am looking for actual specific neighborhoods to live in El Paso. My husband took a federal civilian job at Ft. Bliss - we are not military - so we will be living off base. Most people have said to live "east" or "west" but didn't say a name of an area. We are a family of 4 (2 small kids) and I'm hoping to find an area that is safe, with good schools, and some shopping! Well, at least a Target and a Starbucks When looking at the map, I see areas called "Stonebridge" and "Sunrise Acres"... is there any specific neighborhoods people can recommend that are relatively close to the base as well? Thanks in advance!!!
I would say northeast or east if you want to be near Fort Bliss. Do you need shopping within walking distance or do you have a car -- if you have a car, then shopping is convenient from any neighborhood.

They're all pretty safe - but you could look at crime stats. Sex offender stats would be helpful to families with kids:

National Sex Offender Registry

Also the maps there give the names of various neighborhoods (if you zoom in) and show proximity to Fort Bliss.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:15 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,442,674 times
The truth of the matter is, that in general most of El Paso's neighborhoods are very homogenous. You will see neighborhoods that look almost exactly alike, one after another, all with the same ticky tack houses. They vary in shape, but it seems almost like the same two or three builders have run amok building hundreds of pastel stucko style houses, from corner to corner of the city. As far as the east side verses the west side; again, sometimes the neighborhoods are almost indistinguishable. Yes, there are neighborhoods with more expensive houses, there just a little bigger that's all. Inside the houses, fixtures, countertops, etc, its like touring a Home Depot/Leows showroom. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you come here, you'll see what I mean, and you'll remember this post!

Old 10-18-2009, 11:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,667 times
i too would check out the sex offender list first.... i did but now tons of creeps live close by (tierra's) we are right across a school and have several of them close by- needless to say i dont let my daughters out of my sight!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:05 AM

4,153 posts, read 6,016,019 times
Personally I would avoid the NE side. A bit ghetto'ish and shopping is meh. Get on the East Side off Zaragosa and Rich Beem Area.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 AM

28 posts, read 64,320 times
I live on the far eastside off Montwood past Joe Battle area and I love it. Traffic is a bit heavy at times but shopping is walking distance and it is also a great area in my opinion.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 AM

354 posts, read 521,324 times
Yup, Sun Ridge/Tierras area(s) should suite you well. There is a starbucks and SuperTarget within 1 mile of each. Your husband can take loop 375 to work and arrive within 20 min...as already mentioned traffic will be heavy 7-8am and 4-6ish pm

Old 10-23-2009, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,500 times
Default Tierras

We haved lived in the Tierras since March 2003 and its getting bigger and bigger. Expansion has occured positively on this area,
Sonic, Walgreens, El Paso Teachers FCU, Chevron, Circle K, Providence Memorial Hospital East, Schools El Dorado High School, Paso Del Norte Middle School. Quick access to loop 375 which will take you to Ft.Bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso