U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-15-2009, 07:45 PM

20 posts, read 29,333 times

Advertisements

Am I crazy or does the "new" Mulberry street seem like the dumbest design ever? I think its a lawsuit waiting to happen. For those who haven't had the pleasure of driving it, it has these squares with curbs that jut out in several places in an effort to "slow" traffic. The City thinks that if the street narrows in certain places, it will be difficult to speed. I have never seen this on any street. I shutter to think what they will do on Lindberg and Country Club...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 08:49 PM

3,858 posts, read 3,969,223 times
I'll check it out tomorrow. I didn't know Mulberry was back open. Redd Road between Doniphan & Montoya looks pretty now but is slower & the west end is still a bit messy when it changes from 1 to 2 lanes.
Belvidere (Mesa to Resler) was recently changed from 4 lanes to 2 lanes (1 each way) with a bike lane and the speed limit dropped from 40 to 30. It's a real pain now when stuck behind a slow poke. I used to be able to get around them at stop signs but no longer.

Last edited by Gary Siete; 11-15-2009 at 09:01 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 AM

Maybe the Mulberry indents will make more sense when they paint lines on the road - but it is a tight squeeze for passing cars.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:37 PM

Sunset Drive speed bumps.
Doesn't look too bad or transmission-busting to me & feels more like a gentle hump than bump.

Speed bumps installed recently to be removed - El Paso Times

After first clamoring for four speed bumps along Sunset Drive, residents of the Upper Valley on Tuesday successfully lobbied the City Council to remove them.
They said speeding is a concern on their tree-lined street. Now they say speed bumps are too rough on their cars.

"It's horrible," said Susan Ross, who drives along Sunset every day on her way to work. "We're talking busted transmissions and hundreds of dollars in repairs here. The speed humps were a mistake."

Ultimately, safety was the issue that persuaded him the bumps should be removed.
Sunset has no curb or gutter, so many drivers were swerving into the pedestrian area to avoid the bumps.

After the city spends about $4,000 to remove the bumps, white edging and yellow dash marks in the middle of the road will be installed to discourage speeding.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:39 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,019,975 times
I need those speed bumps in my hood. So many construction workers, school bus drivers YES SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS and the worse is moms with kids driving like it's the smurfin race track. I have yet to see a cop patrol my hood and I think I'll be calling them to patrol during the day.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:41 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Doesn't look too bad or transmission-busting to me & feels more like a gentle hump than bump.

After first clamoring for four speed bumps along Sunset Drive, residents of the Upper Valley on Tuesday successfully lobbied the City Council to remove them.
They said speeding is a concern on their tree-lined street. Now they say speed bumps are too rough on their cars.

"It's horrible," said Susan Ross, who drives along Sunset every day on her way to work. "We're talking busted transmissions and hundreds of dollars in repairs here. The speed humps were a mistake."

Ultimately, safety was the issue that persuaded him the bumps should be removed.
Sunset has no curb or gutter, so many drivers were swerving into the pedestrian area to avoid the bumps.

After the city spends about $4,000 to remove the bumps, white edging and yellow dash marks in the middle of the road will be installed to discourage speeding.

Probably drives a rice mobile. To many Hondas with fart cans low riding. Nice to see the rich side get city money to remove speed bumps yet my hood on the east side was shot down with installing lights that to date have resulted in many deaths. But luckily they'll be installed later on in the year and hopefully no one else gets killed. And how about some lights too down Zaragosa.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:57 PM

880 posts, read 1,314,404 times
There's plenty of speed bumps where I am. My transmission works fine. They need to install curbs on that street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post

Old 12-05-2009, 11:49 AM

20 posts, read 29,333 times
Many of the UV streets don't need curbs b/c then the road wouldn't drain like its supposed to. Thats the main reason they don't have curbs - it would actually hinder natural drainage.
I'm glad they're taking the speed bumps off Sunset but they need to do something about the speeding on that street - maybe they should install traffic cams there and hand out automatic tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: