U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:52 AM
 
90 posts, read 147,825 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
This is not correct.

UTEP has no academic standards. It's a community college with 4 year accreditation.

Perfectly safe, but if you want a degree worth more than the paper it's printed on, go somewhere else.
So what? As long as you're happy and enjoy going there that's what important, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 12-12-2009, 09:26 AM
 
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
3,858 posts, read 3,444,661 times
Reputation: 1738
How does NMSU (Las Cruces) compare to UTEP? Son may go there as they offer a program not available at UTEP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-12-2009, 09:57 AM
zdg
 
Location: Sonoma County, CA
725 posts, read 866,628 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy71 View Post
So what? As long as you're happy and enjoy going there that's what important, right?
Exactly my point. If you have virtually no ambition whatsoever and are content to never challenge yourself, UTEP is a fantastic place.

Not everyone finds happiness in "just gettin' by" and "showin' up" which is all that is required to get a degree at UTEP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-12-2009, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Mo City, TX
879 posts, read 1,433,467 times
Reputation: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Exactly my point. If you have virtually no ambition whatsoever and are content to never challenge yourself, UTEP is a fantastic place.

Not everyone finds happiness in "just gettin' by" and "showin' up" which is all that is required to get a degree at UTEP.
I got my engineering degree from UTEP 9 years ago and while not MIT or CalTech by any means I hold my own against grads from UT and A&M where I work. I said it many times before the school's reputation is important while looking for that first job, but after that it's up to you. There are plenty of UTEP grads that are very succesfull (working in diverse fields like energy, defense, aerospace, and medical industries) at what they do so please do not generalize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-12-2009, 01:53 PM
zdg
 
Location: Sonoma County, CA
725 posts, read 866,628 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
I got my engineering degree from UTEP 9 years ago and while not MIT or CalTech by any means I hold my own against grads from UT and A&M where I work. I said it many times before the school's reputation is important while looking for that first job, but after that it's up to you. There are plenty of UTEP grads that are very succesfull (working in diverse fields like energy, defense, aerospace, and medical industries) at what they do so please do not generalize.
Agreed and my apologies. You are correct, I was generalizing and was wrong to do so.

One of my best friends is also an engineering grad (BSEE) from UTEP and is currently gainfully employed as a programmer in Seattle and couldn't be happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-12-2009, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Mo City, TX
879 posts, read 1,433,467 times
Reputation: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Agreed and my apologies. You are correct, I was generalizing and was wrong to do so.

One of my best friends is also an engineering grad (BSEE) from UTEP and is currently gainfully employed as a programmer in Seattle and couldn't be happier.
No need for an apology friend. I think I know what you were trying to convey. If I had a choice I would rather my own kids go to a "better" school then I did, but no matter where you go do your best always and good things will happen. I really believe that there are plenty of driven people in EP but the "good ol boy network" that has traditionally run the city prevents new ideas or people from moving the city forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-12-2009, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Rockport Texas from El Paso
2,317 posts, read 4,288,065 times
Reputation: 1168
I gave ZDG some data ranking UTEP about average for all schools and asked him to specifically reply but instead he hid for a week. He had lots of claims and nothing to back them up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-13-2009, 08:02 AM
 
Location: 79902
718 posts, read 915,516 times
Reputation: 378
I have a Master of Library Science degree and I'm moving there next summer. Do you think they'd hire me part-time? I hear only they only hire the cream of the crop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-13-2009, 09:59 AM
zdg
 
Location: Sonoma County, CA
725 posts, read 866,628 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I gave ZDG some data ranking UTEP about average for all schools and asked him to specifically reply but instead he hid for a week. He had lots of claims and nothing to back them up with.
You have no interest in discussing UTEP and the underlying problems it has. I provided the exact back-up you asked for (links and everything).

You have an agenda to make sure everyone knows how many degrees from however many universities you have, period. We get it. You went to a lot of schools. You're a superhero. You want to think that gives you the right to be "more of" an expert on how good a school is, fantastic, I hope that gets you through your day.

I'm done with this mindless pissing contest with you over what magnitude of "terrible" UTEP is. If you want to chalk it up to a moral victory over an anonymous poster on an anonymous forum site, go right ahead. I will not be responding to any more of your posts and have no interest in changing your mind. Feel free to argue the difference between "sort of below average" and "well below average" with the other folks on the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-13-2009, 10:07 AM
zdg
 
Location: Sonoma County, CA
725 posts, read 866,628 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
No need for an apology friend. I think I know what you were trying to convey. If I had a choice I would rather my own kids go to a "better" school then I did, but no matter where you go do your best always and good things will happen. I really believe that there are plenty of driven people in EP but the "good ol boy network" that has traditionally run the city prevents new ideas or people from moving the city forward.
No question. I've said it before in other threads, when I found myself living back in El Paso as an advance degreed professional, I figured I'd make the best of it and try to start the sort of business that would mean numerous skilled positions based in El Paso and money staying there.

I found what most people found that try the same thing, the infrastructure isn't there to support it. The few in power there aren't interested in seeing younger people do well. "Good ol' boy" is putting it lightly.

I built my business up and then, when it was time to staff up other professionals, I was met with constant pushback from the silverbacks in the city who were terrified that we'd end up posing a thread to their businesses.

Moved the company to Houston and quintupled within a year.

It's sad and unfortunate, but El Paso (and UTEP as an extension) makes it difficult (not impossible) to make it on your own. If your daddy or friends aren't in high places, it's very hard to make your own. Especially compared to other large American cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top