U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:41 PM

770 posts, read 1,097,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifrank View Post
I just got accepted into the Social, Cognitive, and Neurosciences Ph.D. program within the psychology department at UTEP. What I was impressed about was that UTEP offered me a much more generous stipend than a lot of top ranked programs offer. They also waived out of state tuition costs and offered a scholarship to cover cost of in-state tuition. Psychology Ph.D. programs tend to be the most competitive graduate programs. They usually receive about 300-400 applications for about 10 spots, so I assume the dedication and intellectual abilities of the students at this level will be much greater compared to the undergrad population. Whether this holds true across the other graduate programs, I do not know. As a psychologist who does research with large samples, the 99% undergrad acceptance rate actually intrigues me. To me it indicates that all of my research won't have an socio/economic bias in it -- an issue that can be a big problem at the Harvards and Yales around the country.
You're gonna love El Paso. Place will really grow on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,756 times
Has anyone done the Masters of soical work program there? I am interested in getting my MSW, and since my husband is getting stationed at Fort Bliss for three years, it seems to be the perfect opportunity. I did however read on UTEP's website that it is a newer program, and so I am a bit concerned with the quality of education I will be getting (compared to an established tied and true program). Any one have any experience with it?

Old 04-24-2011, 04:54 PM

20 posts, read 26,101 times
RetroWren,

Welcome to El Paso! Although I didn't graduate from that program, I heard good things about it. It's understandable that you might be a little concerned. I don't blame you. Pursuing graduate school takes a lot of research. Find out what you really want to do in Social Work and then research the faculty in the program. Do they share similar research interests as you do? For instance, If I was going to apply to a PhD program in political science and I was interested in Security Studies and the faculty published a lot of work on women studies then I don't think that might be the right institution for me. Not worth the investment.

Find out where they went to school (I personally think we have a fantastic fauclty base at UTEP). Read some of their work (published articles). Set up a meeting with the coordinator and ask to meet some of the faculty. Ask other students in the program and get their opinions. Does the program have a lot of younger professors or older.

Pro and Cons on the three types of faculty (look next to their name)

Assistant Professor -
Pros: young and ambitious! They are eager to become relevant in the field of study. They are more receptive to ideas and changes and will be willing to work with you. They usually want to do research, research, and more research (after all, you want to be relevant in your field of study)
Cons: very little published works and might leave the school for another school for whatever personal reason.

Associate Professor
Pros: experienced professional with much more published articles and they will have a lot more say on how things will look in the program. Essentially, they are and will be the future of the program.
Cons: Depending on how their career is will reflect in their teaching.

Professor
Pros: Experienced and will be a valuable person to make new contacts with. If you want to pursue a PhD or other post graduate work/fellowships they will have a lot of contacts. After all, they have been around the block. They usually know and have much say over budgeting as well.
Cons: Looking at retirement and they might have little interest to produce anymore work. If you have a bad apple, try and not step on their toes as they may have tenure and they will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

Other things to consider in pursuing a Masters in Social Work at UTEP. El Paso is heavily dependent on the non-profit sector. Therefore, there are a lot of social work that needs to be done. They know this! Usually, institutions invest in programs that supports some of the needs in the local community. I can't imagine that this program would come up with some sort of a rag tag program just to say they have an extra Masters program to offer.

I know I didn't answer your question but hopefully I was able to give you food for thought.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 AM

701 posts, read 1,140,592 times
I believe the MSW has a heavy emphasis on Border related issues.....so I would look at how that may affect the overall tone of the program and it's relevance if you are not interested in border SW issues. A lot of the majors here are geared toward border issues, which is undestandable, but if its not your particular interest, may be confining to you or disinteresting.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 874 times
Please consult this about UTEP and other schools:
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/col...k.php]National University Rankings 2012 | Washington Monthly

Old 02-17-2013, 12:27 AM

415 posts, read 770,520 times
I'm loving what UTEP is doing with their campus right now. It is slowly turning into one of the better college campuses in the state. I would also like to see UTEP get more heads living on campus...which they are doing with their new project off Mesa.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,918,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2EP? View Post
I'm loving what UTEP is doing with their campus right now. It is slowly turning into one of the better college campuses in the state. I would also like to see UTEP get more heads living on campus...which they are doing with their new project off Mesa.
Yeah I think the key to creating a better university life is getting people to live on campus. In the UTEP master plan I want to say I saw something about them wanting to triple student housing space, which would be awesome for the surrounding businesses.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM

518 posts, read 514,215 times
If you look through some of the other threads you will find that they are making the old car lot parking into apartments for students. It is well on it's way.

As far as the MSW Program, my sister in law is currently in it and she says that it is demanding, but well worth it. I bid you good luck!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:51 PM

7 posts, read 7,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
This is not correct.

UTEP has no academic standards. It's a community college with 4 year accreditation.

Perfectly safe, but if you want a degree worth more than the paper it's printed on, go somewhere else.

Not true at all. UTEP has a good rep and is a fine institution overall. No, it doesn't have a global rep like Harvard or the Sorbonne, but then again, who does.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:59 PM

7 posts, read 7,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Angry? It's not anger, it's a blatant lack of respect. I did my undergrad at UT and grad work at UTEP. UTEP most certainly isn't using UT admission standards. Look it up, UTEP has the second highest acceptance rate in America for 4-year universities (I believe the only school below it was Idaho?). Anyone who thinks UTEP and UT are similar in any way other than the "University of Texas" part of their names is either ignorant of the schools or a complete fool. I'm not saying you are, I'm saying anyone who believes that is. I've been to both schools. UT is far from the best school in America, but it attracts a significantly higher level of students and gives you significant opportunity over UTEP.

In my graduate level classes at UTEP, I sat in classes with a majority of fellow students who would have struggled badly at Austin Community College, where I took low level prereq courses in summers while at UT. Profs (this is in GRAD school) were having to explain to students how to do basic research, utilize basic stats, and use basic learning procedures. It was embarrassing to witness.

And don't take my word for it. I spoke to one of my graduate level accounting profs at UTEP while I was there. She said the job was very difficult because the school wouldn't let her teach the way she wanted to because she was failing too many students. When I asked if it was her methods or the students, she said she was going to teach the same way she did at UMASS and UT, and she never had problems with failure rates at those two schools.

UTEP allows people with lower standardized test scores, lower GPAs, and most importantly, small minded world views. It's a great place if you think the world starts and ends within 45 miles of El Paso. It feels like a large high school, in terms of mentality and maturity of students.

Can you get a good education there? Oh sure. The engineering school is very, very good. But if you could go to, say, Purdue or UTEP for engineering and you chose UTEP, I'd seriously question your motives.

Going to UTEP takes no confidence, curiosity, or a desire to grow. It's an extension of the high school you almost certainly attended in El Paso or Juarez. I would have never considered UTEP for my grad work, but I was offered a job I couldn't resist (and now wish I had) back in El Paso.

While my life wasn't negatively altered because I ended up starting my own business in a completely different field than my major, I can easily say, without hesitation, that my opportunities out of grad school would have been infinitely more if I had done my grad work at UT instead of UTEP. The people I was graduating with at UTEP were getting crappy jobs at small local CPA firms while my friends in Austin were getting jobs in big cities with Big Four firms. The three people I graduated with from UTEP 10 years ago are all still making less than $60k a year at CPA firms in El Paso. The two guys I knew from Texas who went to Texas for grad are making 6 digits. One in Houston and one in NYC.
This is all sour grapes. I went to UTEP for two years and transferred for personal reasons, but the school is good. Someone who has trouble building a prosperous career with a UTEP degree on his resume is probably lacking at a personal level. Blaming your lack of success on UTEP is silly and shows that the "blamer" has a lack of personal responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso