Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:03 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times

Advertisements

Sad story in this article. It makes me wonder how much other "stuff" happens, not just in Juarez, but El Paso.

My uncle is a retired DEA agent, and he told us how things work, and the murders and crime reported is not the full story, I'll just say that. I've mentioned this in the past in some of those "El Paso is the 2,3 safest city for it's size" posts. Safest based on what the authorities want you to know! There is more out there for those wishing to look for it, the article lends credence to this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Safest based on what the authorities want you to know! There is more out there for those wishing to look for it, the article lends credence to this point.
That is true everywhere though. It is not like every city is reporting accurate and true statistic except us. El Paso is not the only city cooking the books. In fact, I think other, bigger cities probably do it far more.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:12 PM

507 posts, read 2,061,106 times
HBU: great find. Amazing how we in the U.S. don't hear much about this. Takes a U.K. news crew to report on this.

The article mentions El Valle de Juarez. I ventured through there last summer doing some weekend warrior scenic photography. Fabens POE to Guadalupe to Praxedis Guerrero to El Porvenir then along road leading to Mexico side of border opposite Quitman Mtns in Texas. To say that the area seems dead is an understatement. Everything seemed lifeless and I got the feeling that some awful things have happened there - dunno, hard to put my finger on it. Anyway, I got the heebie jeebies and bolted back to U.S. - Ft. Hancock POE. CBP asked what on Earth I was doing there, I told her, and she laughed.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:13 PM

Default Yes... on the macabre side of life...

I cannot comfortably say on what scale human trafficking is to human organ harvesting, but I must say, the latter is intriguing in a perverse way.

I'm not saying human slavery, or forced prostitution is okay, or can be reasoned with, but in this story, I can overlook that for the organ farming. How must it feel for a person to be locked up against their will, or not locked up, but be kept so that when a telephone call comes in for a cornea, that person's eys is cut out? How about a kidney, do they kill the person and the recipient gets a two for one, or do they have doctors who will take out only one? What if someone needs a heart?!

If the organ thing is true, that has got to be more shocking to me than to hear that a person was killed. At least when they are murdered, they are out of any possible misery. But to harvest organs? 'Sorry, I just cannot get over that. This can be happening right under the nose of people in El Paso, and Juarez.

Also, who are these people who are buying these organs? Have they no shame, or moral decency? I'm going to follow this story, I'm sure the US government will investigate, even if to catch the people purchasing these organs, or to put it another way, paying someone to murder someone for their organs.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
My guess is the human trafficking and sex slavery, prostitution is a whole lot bigger than organ harvesting because how would they be testing for donor compatibility and keeping organs alive, oxygenated before the surgery? It's not like you can just cut out organs and throw them in a box and deliver them, it would have to involve hospitals and medical type people.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:00 PM

19 posts, read 30,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

I'm not saying human slavery, or forced prostitution is okay, or can be reasoned with, but in this story, I can overlook that for the organ farming. How must it feel for a person to be locked up against their will, or not locked up, but be kept so that when a telephone call comes in for a cornea, that person's eys is cut out? How about a kidney, do they kill the person and the recipient gets a two for one, or do they have doctors who will take out only one? What if someone needs a heart?!
maybe if you were a woman you'd feel equally as um, i dare say, disheartened??

respectfully,

i. <-- one who thinks either one is a horrid violation of one's will, regardless of their use for the human.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 PM

Default I agree

I apologize if I was not clear enough; I was referring to the shock content of the article and not rating one issue more deplorable than the other in reality. While both acts are inexcusable, it is the infrequent stories regarding human organ trafficking which captured my thoughts.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:37 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
Co-worker 2 weeks ago had his brother kidnapped in Juarez. I honestly don't understand why his brother would rather live there than ELP. Yes cost of living is a huge factor but living should be number 1.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Co-worker 2 weeks ago had his brother kidnapped in Juarez. I honestly don't understand why his brother would rather live there than ELP. Yes cost of living is a huge factor but living should be number 1.
Well -- if you're a target, I don't see how El Paso would be at all safer, consider how the mastermind of the recent student massacre was from El Paso, and now they've arrested two El Pasoans who kidnapped a fellow El Pasoan and left his mutilated corpse in Juarez.

The border is so very open, nothing stops whatever and whoever from crossing back and forth to do as they please, I don't think people from Juarez could really believe they are escaping by going to El Paso where many of the drug cartel leaders and hitmen live.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 AM

121 posts, read 402,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- if you're a target, I don't see how El Paso would be at all safer, consider how the mastermind of the recent student massacre was from El Paso, and now they've arrested two El Pasoans who kidnapped a fellow El Pasoan and left his mutilated corpse in Juarez.

The border is so very open, nothing stops whatever and whoever from crossing back and forth to do as they please, I don't think people from Juarez could really believe they are escaping by going to El Paso where many of the drug cartel leaders and hitmen live.
The same could be said for any targeted threat. The geography isn't as important as the connections in these types of crimes. That man who was abducted and killed wasn't found through random searching, they were obviously connected to him through a 3rd party, if not directly. The only difference is that there is no law and order in Mexico so it's all that much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso