Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:47 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,186,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
My husband saw this today and said no to moving to El Paso.
Excuse me for asking, but why would he make such an important decision as this on something that happened in another country? Juarez is not El Paso, and nothing like this happens in El Paso, nor has it ever and very unlikely it ever will. It seems to me that your husband is basing his decision with other factors in mind and using this incident to masquerade the true reasons. El Paso is very safe, and horrors this like are not likely to happen in El Paso anytime soon, or ever at all.

Perhaps you husband was going to work in Juarez? In that case, I would agree, especially if he is white and speaks no Spanish. But if you weren't planning on spending any time there, nor had any reason to go there, I would not rule El Paso out this most unfortunate act of brutality alone. Yes it is ugly, but it did not happen in El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:28 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,107,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Excuse me for asking, but why would he make such an important decision as this on something that happened in another country? Juarez is not El Paso, and nothing like this happens in El Paso, nor has it ever and very unlikely it ever will. It seems to me that your husband is basing his decision with other factors in mind and using this incident to masquerade the true reasons. El Paso is very safe, and horrors this like are not likely to happen in El Paso anytime soon, or ever at all.

Perhaps you husband was going to work in Juarez? In that case, I would agree, especially if he is white and speaks no Spanish. But if you weren't planning on spending any time there, nor had any reason to go there, I would not rule El Paso out this most unfortunate act of brutality alone. Yes it is ugly, but it did not happen in El Paso.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:12 PM

187 posts, read 479,662 times
You can move wherever you want but El Paso seems to one of the safest cities in the US. Juarez is pretty dangerous and it will have that effect on people, especially when its making headlines on CNN. Juarez is out of control, and cities like New York and Los Angeles struggle to reach the status of Juarez or mexico in general. Just thought id throw that in there.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
El Paso itself is safe enough for now, but there was a road rage shooting the other day, many of the Juarez bars and clubs are moving over along with the drug lords and their families and who knows what that will bring, plus this area wasn't too safe for a San Antonio 20 year old who was killed for no reason at all in a rest stop just outside El Paso. Plus there have been a large number of bank robberies and convenience store robberies recently - with a clerk pistol whipped the other day. And the guy beat up and left bleeding in some nightclub last weekend.

We may not lock our doors at night but it's not completely safe here.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
juarez is over the top out of control. scratch that one from my club med list.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:05 AM

252 posts, read 720,909 times
Quote:
Nothing short of suspension of civil rights and apply full martial law chinese style.
There is never a reason for this. This is just as bad as the murderers.

The problem with Juarez is simply a complete breakdown of law and order.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 AM

2,185 posts, read 4,987,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

Just too close for comfort for him and we have 2 little girls one almost 2 and the other is 3. He just feels it's not the place for us at this time.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 AM

59 posts, read 181,259 times
4 more ppl killed @ a juarez nightclub

4 killed at Juárez nightclub early Monday - El Paso Times

Old 02-02-2010, 04:34 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,186,711 times
Default I wonder what Juarez does with all the dead?

Even in a city the size of Houston, I don't think Houston could keep up with the amount of murders as in Juarez. From th morgue, to the investigations, autopsies, etc., it must be overwhelming. At 2680 murders last year, that adds up to 7.3 bodies a day. 7 new case investigations, 7 new autopsies, and on and on.

It is not like many of the murdered are Muslim and are burried the next day. It must truly be hell working for the city morgues. Wow. It makes one wonder just how thorough of a job law enforcemnt does investigating these cases. I am sure some are just shelved, or considered closed without the due attention the case deserves. I feel for the families.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 PM

507 posts, read 2,054,383 times
this might answer your question:

Hundreds of victims unclaimed, buried unceremoniously in Juarez - El Paso Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso