Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,816,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
I guess you need to make sure you are well entrenched in 79912 and not 79911.
Yeah, as far as I know there are no homes in the "tongue" of 79912 along the northern end of Northwestern north of Brown Middle School to Transmountain.

Or maybe the Canutillo district could give up a little taxable property (just maybe?) The middle of Paseo del Norte from I-10 east to North Resler (if they have or are planning to extend it from Northwestern east to Resler), then the middle of Resler south to Helen of Troy, then the middle of Helen of Troy Drive east of Resler to the mountains sounds sensible to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 12:48 PM

730 posts, read 1,887,089 times
Default Canutillo

Doubt Canutillo will give up any taxable property and I'm sure the further development of that area is a potential cashcow of taxable property for them. Aren't they one of the cities with the least amount of property tax revenue? too bad that Brown MS is righ there but the kids in Lomas del Sol (and that other new developemnt on Resler west of H of T) transport to Canutillo MS...is that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
Yeah, as far as I know there are no homes in the "tongue" of 79912 along the northern end of Northwestern north of Brown Middle School to Transmountain.

Or maybe the Canutillo district could give up a little taxable property (just maybe?) The middle of Paseo del Norte from I-10 east to North Resler (if they have or are planning to extend it from Northwestern east to Resler), then the middle of Resler south to Helen of Troy, then the middle of Helen of Troy Drive east of Resler to the mountains sounds sensible to me.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Doubt Canutillo will give up any taxable property and I'm sure the further development of that area is a potential cashcow of taxable property for them. Aren't they one of the cities with the least amount of property tax revenue? too bad that Brown MS is righ there but the kids in Lomas del Sol (and that other new developemnt on Resler west of H of T) transport to Canutillo MS...is that right?
Alderete Middle. Not as far away as Canutillo Middle but still kind of far (on the other side of I-10 and Transmountain also). And, until Canutillo ISD finally builds that elementary school in the area that they planned on building until the recession put the brakes on growth there, the kids in that part of town go to Damian Elementary (way over on the other side of I-10, Doniphan and the Rio Grande, probably on the school bus or in their parents' cars) until they graduate from fifth grade.

Too bad the people who developed the area didn't keep school district boundary lines in mind before they started building these houses.

Last edited by atrabilius; 03-10-2010 at 01:29 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 01:24 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,933,223 times
Quote:
too bad that Brown MS is righ there but the kids in Lomas del Sol (and that other new developemnt on Resler west of H of T) transport to Canutillo MS...is that right?
The kids beside & opposite the GECU credit union (on Aloe Vera & Villa del Sol..) can see Brown from their houses but can't go there.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailo99 View Post
I've heard that some of the homes south of Lomas del Sol (Franklin, etc.) will be re-zoned in the years to come and these families will end up in the Canutillo District. Some of the Franklin homes' listings said "schools subject to change."
Sorry, I didn't get this earlier.

"Schools subject to change" probably means that, for one thing, the elementary school for the address is Tippin Elementary right now, but it's zoned to Lundy Elementary and your school-aged kids up to fifth grade if you move into that house will be going there when it opens, once it does; it was supposed to open in January, but the rain delayed the construction of the access road leading to the school and to the new Hornedo Middle School campus next door.

Also, Hornedo is only taking eighth and ninth graders right now, while Brown is taking sixth and seventh graders. Once the new Hornedo campus opens, which is supposed to be next August, it and Brown will both go to the conventional sixth-to-eighth-grade configuration, and if you have a sixth or seventh-grader going to Brown, s/he'll have to transfer to Hornedo if your house is one of these new ones high on the mountain.

I haven't heard anything about addresses being moved from one district to another, although when the boundary runs right through people's houses (as in the story I alluded to), it would make sense.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
Sorry, I didn't get this earlier.

"Schools subject to change" probably means that, for one thing, the elementary school for the address is Tippin Elementary right now, but it's zoned to Lundy Elementary and your school-aged kids up to fifth grade if you move into that house will be going there when it opens, once it does; it was supposed to open in January, but the rain delayed the construction of the access road leading to the school and to the new Hornedo Middle School campus next door.
EPISD says Lundy is finally going to open March 23 (and the school year ends in May).

Old 03-23-2010, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,998 times
hmm...I'm originally from out of state and from my experience El Paso/Canutillo same thing. Canutillo is a smaller district but it has its pluses my kids were previously in the second largest school district in the country so it a nice change for them to be in Canutillo. They have a 14.5/1 student to teacher ratio so they can get better attention and the district is going in a positive direction. The schools are cleaner than EPISD. The bad side is you have to put up with small town politics. I like living in El Paso limits but not dealing with EPISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso