Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,527 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I will likely be moving to El Paso from upstate new york; I'm a young engineer (early 20's) looking for places to live. It looks like there's a lot of development in the Horizon area; looking through the forums at older posts that seems like a popular place. Is that a safe, convenient place to live? (convenient = restaurants/shopping close).

I'm really looking forward to getting out of the cold, but am really nervous about living in El Paso, are there any tips for someone to get acclimated quickly? I'm from the deep south, so am no stranger to heat (though never been in dry heat before), but from a culture perspective, what's unique or fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 03:58 PM

24 posts, read 57,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL4652 View Post
Hello All,
I will likely be moving to El Paso from upstate new york; I'm a young engineer (early 20's) looking for places to live. It looks like there's a lot of development in the Horizon area; looking through the forums at older posts that seems like a popular place. Is that a safe, convenient place to live? (convenient = restaurants/shopping close).

I'm really looking forward to getting out of the cold, but am really nervous about living in El Paso, are there any tips for someone to get acclimated quickly? I'm from the deep south, so am no stranger to heat (though never been in dry heat before), but from a culture perspective, what's unique or fun?

Horizon is way out east - you will be far from the city. You are young and probably want a social life so you should look at the west side or Kern. I would never live way out in Horizon.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:32 PM

47 posts, read 85,280 times
I agree with citizen joe.
You should live on the west side of the town. Try to look into areas like kern, sunland park area, resler, redd..

Old 03-08-2010, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,799 times
Hey SL, this is my first post too, and I'm in the same boat. Early 20s, single professional (army officer, almost was an engineer though ) and moving to El Paso at the end of March. Just thought I'd say hey to you and everyone else on the forum. I've been browsing the threads for a couple months now, but I finally decided to break down and get an account.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:53 AM

730 posts, read 1,895,773 times
Three trolls and you're out...............saw this on three threads already. Stop it.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 AM

730 posts, read 1,895,773 times
vmiunc....saw similar posts by you for North Carolina, Puerto Rico, West Virginia, Montana. Are you just dragging a large net across the US on each relocation posting?

Old 03-13-2010, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,527 times
All, thanks for the input!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:55 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,368 times
There's gonna be more than you can shake a stick at young man. Good luck. You got time so don't hurry.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 AM

85 posts, read 317,200 times
As other posters have said, Horizon will put you quite a drive from the social life in EP. I would probably places on the west side, since I don't really fancy how crowded the east seems to me. As far as acclimation, different people take different amounts of time. It wasn't really that big of an adjustment for me, coming from small town Iowa to El Paso. I would join a gym. EP is known as a "fat city" and it's probably because the food is so good. Just so you're warned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso