Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, if someone is elected who nobody has ever heard of, why not simply determine your politicians by means of a random generator? If I got that correctly, he did not really run for office, no campaigning, nothing.
He did what was necessary to get his name on the ballot. Once qualified for the ballot, he is running for office.

Have you ever qualified for the ballot for any office?

Rather than your "generator", Mr. Greene shows that he has an interest in being elected to that office.

I rather hope he wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 01:08 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
He did what was necessary to get his name on the ballot. Once qualified for the ballot, he is running for office.

Rather than your "generator", Mr. Greene shows that he has an interest in being elected to that office.

I rather hope he wins.

I hope he doesn't. Something just is not right. Granted there's two sides to every story. But this is one story thats just not right.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:15 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:

I rather hope he wins.
Call me old-fashioned, I think one should be elected based on one's views, deeds, ideas, solutions etc.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Call me old-fashioned, I think one should be elected based on one's views, deeds, ideas, solutions etc.
You are not an American. We have different view points

Old 06-12-2010, 02:45 PM

62 posts, read 35,825 times
South Carolina is an open primary state, so what you have is a bunch of Republicans crossing over and voting for a candidate that couldn't possibly win in the general election in Nov.

The play politics real dirty SC. Look back to 2000 when Turd Blossom smeared John McCain in South Carolina.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
You are not an American. We have different view points
You would glorify a bucket of **** if only it says American on the label

Old 06-12-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I'm saying that you do not understand what we Americans do or believe in.

Here is is a guy who wants to run for the US Senate. He got his name on the ballot - not an easy task - but, he did it. Now, he is paired against a Republican - now he will have to debate the challenger -

And come November, after all the votes are in, who knows - he may very well be the next US Senator!!!

All this for the "little guy!

It is what makes AMERICA so GREAT!!!

Oh yeah - I almost forgot:

Quote:
Buy American!!!!

Old 06-12-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I'm saying that you do not understand what we Americans do or believe in.

Here is is a guy who wants to run for the US Senate. He got his name on the ballot - not an easy task - but, he did it. Now, he is paired against a Republican - now he will have to debate the challenger -

And come November, after all the votes are in, who knows - he may very well be the next US Senator!!!

All this for the "little guy!

It is what makes AMERICA so GREAT!!!

Oh yeah - I almost forgot:

Buy American!!!!
Don't assume all Americans think the way you do Something is odd about this whole thing and sooner or later the truth will surface...

Old 06-12-2010, 08:38 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucker View Post
South Carolina is an open primary state, so what you have is a bunch of Republicans crossing over and voting for a candidate that couldn't possibly win in the general election in Nov.

The play politics real dirty SC. Look back to 2000 when Turd Blossom smeared John McCain in South Carolina.
I would be more likely to buy that if no GOP Primary was taking place. SC is an open Primary states, but with a very contentious Primary for Gov, I think it was quite unlikely that you had anything other than a very minute amount of Republicans crossing over and voting in the Dem Primaries. The fact far more people voted on the GOP side than the Dem side also tends to lead me to believe something like that didn't happen. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out Greene got his filing fees through the GOP, but at this point I'm not going to say that its likely or anything, we have no evidence to suggest it at this point, but that would nor surprise me if it wound up being true.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucker View Post
The Republican primary was pretty intense this year for nominating the candidate for governor. I cannot imagine 60,000 Republicans lying and voting in the Democratic primary when the GOP primary itself was so important. Even more, I cannot imagine being able to mobilize 60,000 Republican voters to vote for Alvin Greene in complete silence, without any kind of evidence of getting the word out through the internet, phone calls, etc.

In any case, it is a hopeless cause to try and remove DeMint from office, so perhaps the Democrats just ignored that particular race? Rawls did not make an effort to run much of a campaign, and neither did Greene. Voters who do not pay attention to a specific race rely on name reckognition. If they did not know either one, they probably went for the first one they saw - the one that appears alphabetically, which in this case was Greene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections