Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I wouldn't be surprised for a second that the Republican party is anxious to change its image-after all look at Steele. Are they wrong in doing this? I know a lot of minorities are actually conservative but vote along the Democratic party line because of mostly perceived racism from GOP members. Neither party is above using race to win votes. That said, I like the ideological policies of Scott and Haley but also understand that their victories are a symptom of change in the South. It will be interesting to see the hateful things said by liberals against Tim Scott especially.

By the way, I can't speak for the rest of the South but I personally feel quite connected with the modern world.
Tim Scott.... maybe he'll get Essie Mae Washington-Williams's last name carved onto the Strom Thurmond monument. "That would be nice."

Top-down changes instead of bottom-up changes tend not to last, but maybe things are looking up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 11:21 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Top-down changes instead of bottom-up changes tend not to last, but maybe things are looking up
Meh. Michael Steele was a top-down change and a half-hearted response to Obama. General elections on the other hand are basically the definition of bottom-up changes. In the Charleston area at least Tim Scott had a very strong grass roots movement and I have friends that played important roles in Haley's campaign. I actually wouldn't call this a change since we've never been as racist down here as y'all claimed we were (at least in my lifetime).

Old 06-23-2010, 11:23 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
So the "racist south" will have not 1, but the only 2 Indian American governors, one who's a female, a Vietnamese American congressman, and a black conservative congressman. Hmmm.........
What ever will the left do when they just can't use the race card anymore???

Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
I think Haley was expected to win, but even so it is pretty impressive... SC has come so far, and it's only the 21st Century!
Have you visited or lived in South Carolina? Or do you get your bias from just the media?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:54 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Meh. Michael Steele was a top-down change and a half-hearted response to Obama. General elections on the other hand are basically the definition of bottom-up changes. In the Charleston area at least Tim Scott had a very strong grass roots movement and I have friends that played important roles in Haley's campaign. I actually wouldn't call this a change since we've never been as racist down here as y'all claimed we were (at least in my lifetime).
Michael Steele was only a cosmetic effect as you noted. But that was then and this is now!

Right?

Also, Tim Scott's approach seems to have been narrow local issues. Paul Thurmond was on about nebulous national things like cap and trade. Which is more likely to speak to "grassroots" voters?

Do you happen to know, was Tim Scott promoted by black or white S. Carolinians for the most part?

I think it's insulting that the RW thinks black voters will blindly support a candidate just because he's black. Maybe you dont.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:24 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Michael Steele was only a cosmetic effect as you noted. But that was then and this is now!

Right?

Also, Tim Scott's approach seems to have been narrow local issues. Paul Thurmond was on about nebulous national things like cap and trade. Which is more likely to speak to "grassroots" voters?

Do you happen to know, was Tim Scott promoted by black or white S. Carolinians for the most part?

I think it's insulting that the RW thinks black voters will blindly support a candidate just because he's black. Maybe you dont.
Paul Thurmond was a good candidate and yes he concentrated on major issues. (Tim Scott's focus on illegal immigration was about removing the incentives for illegals to come to SC but what do you expect since he ran in SC?). My major problem with Thurmond was his support on the "Fair tax". That's for another thread but I believe it foolish for a consumer-driven economy.

Tim Scott won with 68% of the vote so he had massive support from whites and blacks. When I drove around I saw many people (usually white) holding up his signs on the side of the street but then again across the street from where I live is a family of black republicans who've done campaigning for him. They had most of our street with Scott signs on their front lawns.

Who said black voters blindly support a candidate because he's black? I remember hearing that argument about Obama's election but most blacks in South Carolina would vote a white democrat in before a black republican. But isn't that assumption the same as being surprised that white southerners voted in minorities?

Old 06-23-2010, 12:54 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Last night was a great night for both the south and our country..

One more interesting comment, can someone explain, if indeed the south is so racist how come the last black Republican congressman was also from the south?

Nita

Well the fact that once you get outside the south Congressional representation is overwhelmingly Democratic has quite a bit to do with it.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:13 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
SC may elect another nutbag as Governor? Who would have thunk it?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:20 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,852 times
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "retroactively." Are you saying the Republicans and the Dixiecrats pushed civil rights?
retroactive [ˌrɛtrəʊˈæktɪv]
adj 1. applying or referring to the past retroactive legislation
2. effective or operative from a date or for a period in the past retroactively adv
retroactiveness , retroactivity n

Well it certainly wasn't the Dems that pushed Civil Rights. Your revisionist history has deluded many though - I guess a big "kudos" is in order for that.

Quote:
^ You took that WAY out of context. Deliberately hoping to fool others, or did you not know any better?
Are you deliberately hoping to deflect logic to fool others, or did you not know any better? One can either think logically, or s/he can't. It's as simple as that.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:28 PM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
SC may elect another nutbag as Governor? Who would have thunk it?
It is possible that Democratic state Sen. Vincent Sheheen could win I guess, but I don't know him as well as you do to call him a nutbag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections