Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:03 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times

Advertisements

I think Rudy Giuliani is one of my top choices for President along with John McCain. As for the Democrats, theyr'e further down the list but the only one I actually hate is Hillary Clinton. I hate not only her politics but her style though I liked her husband.

About Giuliani I still have some reservations. His leadership and record is impressive beyond question. His response after 9-11 is laudable especially compared with the incompetence that oozed form New Orleans's Ray Nagin and his staff following Katrina. And nobody else could have cleaned up New YOrk City like Giuliani did, going after the thugs, drug dealers, and gang members. This kind of leadership could be used in Washignton, D.C. , New Orleans, LA, St. Louis, DETROIT, Philadelphia and Baltimore for sure.

However Rudy's experience is limited to managing an urban area. However most of America is suburban or rural. I'm cocnerned that he will support policies that benefit major cities and urban areas at the expense of suburbs and small towns. I had the same concern with Baltimore mayor Martin O'Malley being Maryland governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 08:05 PM

Also if the Democrats are smart they will not have Hillary Clinton represent them. While the Democrat base may love her she in un-electable in a general election. Even Maryland, which is a lot more liberal than I wish, hates her. Even Barrack Obama...he is young and inexperienced but his style does not turn off people like Hillary does.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:59 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
That's why you need Fred Thompson, a Thompson/Giuliani ticket will insure that both the rural and urban are both equally represented.
Frankly "Jaun" McCain hasn't got a chance he is to weak on immigration which will be the key of this election more so than Iraq IMHO.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:07 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
I agree that McCain won't be the nominee, and I really thought he would a few months ago. If he hasn't picked up steam by now, I don't think he will.

I think Rudy Giuliani would have a great chance of winning a national election, but I have doubt he can get out of the Republican primary, he has too many folks evaluating him on his single issue stances to clear the hurdles. I suspect Thompson may be the nominee, and if Giuliani was his running mate that could be a tough ticket.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:07 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,051 times
I won't go with Guilani because he said something to the effect that he would use nukes.

I really really don't want anyone using nukes at all, except only for deterrence. The actual usage of nukes is the LAST thing we need in this world. I don't even want to think about what would happen after someone used a nuke somewhere while many countries have an eye-for-eye and tit-for-tat mentality.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I won't go with Guilani because he said something to the effect that he would use nukes.

I really really don't want anyone using nukes at all, except only for deterrence. The actual usage of nukes is the LAST thing we need in this world. I don't even want to think about what would happen after someone used a nuke somewhere while many countries have an eye-for-eye and tit-for-tat mentality.
I don't think he'd use them ... but you don't want to crazies in the middle east/Russia/China/NK/etc knowing that.

What we need is another Reagan ... Reagan scared the pants off most the world and half the nation ... countries where afraid to mess with him, that's what you want.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:29 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I don't think he'd use them ... but you don't want to crazies in the middle east/Russia/China/NK/etc knowing that.

What we need is another Reagan ... Reagan scared the pants off most the world and half the nation ... countries where afraid to mess with him, that's what you want.
So as long as he doesn't break the bank, put us in deeper and then insurmountable national debt, then let's have him.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
So as long as he doesn't break the bank, put us in deeper and then insurmountable national debt, then let's have him.
Check the numbers, the banks already broke ...

Old 06-19-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
That's why you need Fred Thompson, a Thompson/Giuliani ticket will insure that both the rural and urban are both equally represented.
Frankly "Jaun" McCain hasn't got a chance he is to weak on immigration which will be the key of this election more so than Iraq IMHO.
Where do Thompson and Giuliani stand on illegals? I'm American and my parents are LEGAL immigrants from Taiwan. We've also had enough of the illegals and all of the race-based identity politics. The Democrats always cater to ethnic voting blocs, a concept that really makes me uncomfortable. We are all Americans before we're anything else and no group should act like their "interests" conflict with those of the nation as a whole.

Illegals are illegals plain and simple. This is not about racism or whatever.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:

Deterrence works with a logical, rational regime like the old USSR, North Korea, and China where the government, while they are dictatorships, cares about survival and their best interest. With Iran deterrence won't work.

Look at the mentality of suicide bombers everywhere in the Middle East and Central Asia. The Iranians (at least the leaders who control the country) wont' care if their nation is destroyed in a retaliatory strike as long as they get to kill Americans. I believe the majority of ordinary Iranians want peace just like us but they have a government that is run by a bunch of crazies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections