Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,365,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Obama is very competent, if by "competent" you mean...

Trying to increase employment by berating and attacking one industry after another, and piling on costs, fines, taxes, and senseless regulatory burdens,

Trying to boost capital investment by stealing money from investors of capital, as in the Chrysler and GM cases,

Trying to increase the vitality of the economy by speaking of profit as if it were a vile and disgusting thing, and never using the word "corporation" without the adjective "unscrupulous."

He is competently attempting to turn a severe recession into a great depression.

The question that we voters will answer in November is "How stupid are we?"

So right, So right, you are. You mean, how stupid can Voters be the second time around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 PM

236 posts, read 550,351 times
This was great information. Time for me to start campaigning to elect a new president. When does the next plane leave? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
This is basically a duplicate post and it was just easier to copy and paste, so forgive me.

Exaggeration aside, you may want to look at the electoral map before you start counting your chickens. There are 251 electoral votes that have gone Democratic in every election after 1988. (Other than Vermont with its 4 electoral votes in 2000.) So Obama starts with a base of 251 of the necessary 270. That means unless he does worse than John Kerry, all he needs are 19 electoral votes because I don't see any of those 251 jumping to the GOP. (And he ain't gonna do worse than John Kerry, the world's worst campaigner.)

So all he needs is either Ohio or Florida to get reelected, both of which he carried in 2008. And he doesn't need to win both, just one. If he wins either of those two, he doesn't need a single other state.

Or if he loses both, some combination of these states to will get him to 19: Nevada (5), Colorado (9), New Mexico (5), Indiana (11), Virginia (13), North Carolina (15) or Iowa (7). So even if he loses both Ohio and Florida, he just needs to win 2 (or 3) of those 7 states that he carried in 2008.

I'll concede Indiana. But I don't see a mass defection of those other states. Virginia and North Carolina are becoming more Democratic, not less. Hispanics in New Mexico and Colorado aren't voting GOP in 2012. Iowa is always close. Nevada is always close. Even if he loses both Ohio and Florida, he just needs either Virginia or North Carolina and one other state.

2012 is a long way off. As has been noted numerous times here, his approval is sitting right about where Reagan and Clinton were at this point in their presidency, and both won re-election.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:00 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,263,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
I think this is a very premature statement. I voted for Obama and I think he's done relatively well considering the mess he inherited but a lot can happen in the next couple of years. Let's see how he does over the next year or so and who he's up against before we start claiming that he will President until '16.
That’s the key. A lot can happen in the next couple of years. Which party is going to control the House and which party in going to control the Senate after the 2010 elections? What’s going to happen to the unemployment rate? The American public will be swayed to stick with Obama if the unemployment rate drops below 8%. That is entirely possible. What going to happen with immigration reform? Is tax reform going to take place? Will there be a court ordered resolution as to the constitutionality of same-sex marriage. Which politician is going to put his foot in his mouth and sway public opinion? What kind of scandals will come out in the next two years?

The bigger question for me who do the Republicans have that create the type of national appeal to win a Presidential election?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and don't forget, the 9.5% unemployment rate is really much higher, but many have just stopped looking. Add to that, what we will see when all the census people are no longer employed.

NIta
You’re assuming that unemployment rate is going to stay the same or get worse. If that is the case then yes chances are Obama gets shown the door. But if unemployment drops to 8% or less a lot of people are going to be persuaded to stick with Obama for another term.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Really? Then why didn't McCain win in the first place?
Let's replay the 2008 presidential race. Obama jumps out and gets a slight lead after a rousing speech at the Democratic National Convention. McCain introduces Palin at the Republican National Convention and then he takes a slight lead after the initial surge for picking a “Hockey Mom”. Palin bombs her interviews with the media and McCain’s choice is called in to question. The economic crises deepens, and McCain announces “The American economy is strong”. Meanwhile markets are complete and utter turmoil. McCain grandstands during the Congressional hearings for the TARP bill. Obama acts cool, calm, and collected . Just the of leader you want handling a financial crises. Obama takes a lead that he never really relinquishes going into November and wins.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:44 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,052,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Let's replay the 2008 presidential race. Obama jumps out and gets a slight lead after a rousing speech at the Democratic National Convention. McCain introduces Palin at the Republican National Convention and then he takes a slight lead after the initial surge for picking a “Hockey Mom”. Palin bombs her interviews with the media and McCain’s choice is called in to question. The economic crises deepens, and McCain announces “The American economy is strong”. Meanwhile markets are complete and utter turmoil. McCain grandstands during the Congressional hearings for the TARP bill. Obama acts cool, calm, and collected . Just the of leader you want handling a financial crises. Obama takes a lead that he never really relinquishes going into November and wins.
This is why I voted for Obama. After that Katie Couric interview I felt like Sarah Palin was about as qualified to be vice president as my two year old niece. McCain didn't know how many houses he owned, he didn't know how much gas costs. I was thinking either he's a huge liar or he doesn't know squat about anything. Either way he's not fit to be president. So we had a guy that wasn't fit to be president and a lady that wasn't fit to be vice president. The choice was obvious. Anybody with common sense voted for Obama.

Obama was always smiling, cool, calm and collected like you say. McCain kept losing his cool with reporters because he didn't like being asked tough questions. This also didn't give me a good impression of him.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I gave Obama a 9 and McCain a 2.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
You are correct about what team I'm on. But, I don't always agree with Republicans.

As for comprehensive immigration reform, I would not be in favor of blanket amnesty. And a bill introduced by Republicans would look much different than a bill whipped up by Democrats.

Also, even if Republicans would be credited with achieving comprehensive reform, I think that minorities and the benefiting 12,000,000 "new" Americans would still vote overwhelmingly for Democrats. Not much for the Republicans to gain from this demographic.

However, I think that most Americans would be better off and more satisfied with a conservative solution to the immigration problem.
Oh like when Ronald Reagan gave illegal immigrants amnesty back in 1986.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
This is why I voted for Obama. After that Katie Couric interview I felt like Sarah Palin was about as qualified to be vice president as my two year old niece. McCain didn't know how many houses he owned, he didn't know how much gas costs. I was thinking either he's a huge liar or he doesn't know squat about anything. Either way he's not fit to be president. So we had a guy that wasn't fit to be president and a lady that wasn't fit to be vice president. The choice was obvious. Anybody with common sense voted for Obama.

Obama was always smiling, cool, calm and collected like you say. McCain kept losing his cool with reporters because he didn't like being asked tough questions. This also didn't give me a good impression of him.

There is something else I just thought about. During the later stages of the campaign stories came out about the fact that McCains first wife, once a good looking woman, was seriously injured and permanently disabled in a car accident while he was a P.O.W. After he got back from Viet Nam he divorced her and married Cindy McCain three months later. Basically he was carry on an affair while he was still married. That just didn't sit well with a lot of women voters.

Also he basically used Cindy McCain family connections and money to start his political career.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You’re assuming that unemployment rate is going to stay the same or get worse. If that is the case then yes chances are Obama gets shown the door. But if unemployment drops to 8% or less a lot of people are going to be persuaded to stick with Obama for another term.
yes, I am assuming that because the experts all seem to think we will not see a huge change in the next year or so. I think it would have to down to 8% about 3 to 6 months before the election. If it drops only toward the election itself, people will think the figures are phoney and put him out of office. Time will tell, 2 years is a long time.

Nita

Old 08-19-2010, 07:05 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post

I think more than not qualified she was not prepared. What the McCain were thinking is beyond my wildest imagination.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections