U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:57 AM

41,314 posts, read 38,312,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Democrats Maintain Advantage on Generic Ballot, 48% to 44%

I'll wait for the usual suspects to come in and tell us why Gallup is lying, or that there's corruption involved, etc.
Outlier;

GOP Maintains Lead on Generic Ballot for Congress

Quote:
Republicans have a 49% to 43% lead over Democrats among registered voters in Gallup's generic ballot for Congress for the week of Aug. 2-8, the second straight week in which Republicans have held an edge in projected voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 AM

33,863 posts, read 32,171,048 times
Quote:

I'll wait for the usual suspects to come in and tell us why Gallup is lying, or that there's corruption involved, etc.
My only problem with Gallup is when they survey "national adults" which to me means any adult who picks up the telephone. To me those polls are meaningless for making Election Day predictions since, for example, for all we know 60% of those people don't vote or aren't even eligible to vote. They usually do that with approval ratings. It looks like this one is registered voters so I don't have a problem with it although likely voters is the ideal group to poll. I also have a problem with pollsters who average polls when the same populations weren't sampled. You shouldn't be averaging polls of "national adults" with polls of "registered voters" and polls of "likely voters."

Old 08-10-2010, 09:02 AM

41,314 posts, read 38,312,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My only problem with Gallup is when they survey "national adults" which to me means any adult who picks up the telephone. To me those polls are meaningless for making Election Day predictions since, for example, for all we know 60% of those people don't vote or aren't even eligible to vote. They usually do that with approval ratings. It looks like this one is registered voters so I don't have a problem with it although likely voters is the ideal group to poll. I also have a problem with pollsters who average polls when the same populations weren't sampled. You shouldn't be averaging polls of "national adults" with polls of "registered voters" and polls of "likely voters."
And a survey of adults will always be more favorable to the democrats.

It is OBVIOUS, the generic ballot that had the dems up was an anomaly, now it is back where it has been for the last year, with republicans leading, which is a very good thing.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:02 AM

"Republican candidates hold a seven-point lead over Democrats on the Generic Congressional Ballot for the week ending Sunday, August 8, 2010."

46% vs 39% --- Likely Voters

I remind you that Rasmussen, along with Pew, I believe, came the closest in predicting the 2008 Presidential election

Generic Congressional Ballot - Rasmussen Reports™

"The number of Republicans in the United States slipped a point during July, while the number of unaffiliated voters gained a point. Overall, the numbers signal a high level of stability in the parties as there have been only modest shifts throughout 2010."

You can see the weekly generic ballot results going all the way back to 1/2009.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,066,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Told you - it was an anomaly;

GOP Resumes Favorable Standing on Generic Ballot

Something for you to ponder.

The spanking democrats took in 1994? The republicans were slightly behind in generic polling on election eve. An actually lead portends disaster for the dems.
The only real poll is what happens on ELECTION DAY

Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
The only real poll is what happens on ELECTION DAY
Actually, remember what happened in the exit polling in the 2004 Presidential election?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 PM

69,376 posts, read 53,319,070 times
Quote:

You might want to check out the WSJ in the morning, I heard they are going to have a story talking about how americans are starting to blame Democrats for the economic situation.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:39 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,083,491 times
Gallup is lying, or that there's corruption involved, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or