Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

Brown will win because of name recognition. People know his name but don't know anything else, and that's all it takes these day because voters are stunningly ignorant. That's my prediction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 12:47 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Good news.

Whitman a Bush Republican. One wonders how in the hell she is in the race in a state that is supposedly so liberal. I hope people in this state are not sucked in by her misleading crap. Republicans stink.

Go Governor Jerry Brown!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:21 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Brown will win because of name recognition. People know his name but don't know anything else, and that's all it takes these day because voters are stunningly ignorant. That's my prediction.
Much more to it than just "name recognition"..Whitman just isn't well liked.

Quote:
Only 30% of voters have a favorable opinion of her and 50% see her unfavorably. Just like Brown, voters across party lines dislike her (66%) more than voters within her own party (59%) like her. What's most remarkable in Whitman's numbers though is how independents feel about her. A whooping 61% say they have an unfavorable opinion to only 21% who see her positively.
Public Policy Polling: Brown continues to lead CA Gov Race

Old 08-01-2010, 11:08 PM

236 posts, read 552,492 times
California, needs to clean up the corruption in there city, state, and federal agencies. They also need to get rid of the fraud and waste. If Brown wins he better leave his crazy side at home and come to work sane. California, residents needs a level head to correct the problems that will restore the economy there.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJoyce View Post
California, needs to clean up the corruption in there city, state, and federal agencies. They also need to get rid of the fraud and waste. If Brown wins he better leave his crazy side at home and come to work sane. California, residents needs a level head to correct the problems that will restore the economy there.
It is going to take a lot to clean up the Ca mess and I do not think Brown can begin to make any difference. If anything it might get worse.

Nita

Old 08-02-2010, 05:54 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Default Two failures, One contest, Two States

Brown in California
Barnes in Georgia.

If either of these individuals win their state for Governor then we will know we are on the slippery slope downwards as a nation.
Both were abismal as Governor's before and for the public to elect them again would be equal to Illinois bringing back Blago or West Virginia bringing back Arch Moore

Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Brown in California
Barnes in Georgia.

If either of these individuals win their state for Governor then we will know we are on the slippery slope downwards as a nation.
Both were abismal as Governor's before and for the public to elect them again would be equal to Illinois bringing back Blago or West Virginia bringing back Arch Moore
I wonder why people distort the truth? [typical Republican approach

Unlike Ronald Reagan, who preceded Brown as governor, Jerry Brown was a fiscal conservative while Reagan still holds the records of raising taxes more than any other California governor.

"Upon taking office, Brown gained a reputation as a fiscal conservative. The American Conservative noted he was "much more of a fiscal conservative than Governor Reagan." His fiscal restraint resulted in one of the biggest budget surpluses in state history.

He was both in favor of a Balanced Budget Amendment and opposed to Proposition 13, the latter of which would decrease property taxes and greatly reduce revenue to cities and counties. When Proposition 13 passed, he heavily cut state spending and used much of the surplus his government had built up, roughly $5 billion, to meet the proposition's requirements and help offset the revenue losses. His actions in response to the proposition earned him praise from Proposition 13 author Howard Jarvis who went as far to campaign for Brown's successful reelection bid in 1978.

During his two-term, eight-year governorship, Brown had a strong interest in environmental issues. Brown appointed J. Baldwin to work in the newly-created California Office of Appropriate Technology, Sim Van der Ryn as State Architect, and Stewart Brand as Special Advisor. He appointed John Bryson, later the CEO of Southern California Edison Electric Company and a founding member of the Natural Resources Defense Council, chairman of the California State Water Board in 1976. Brown reorganized the California Arts Council, boosting its funding by 1300 percent and appointing artists to the council.

Brown appointed more women and minorities to office than any other previous California governor.

Like his father, Brown strongly opposed the death penalty and vetoed it as Governor, which the legislature overrode in 1977. He also appointed judges who opposed capital punishment. In 1960, he lobbied his father, then Governor, to spare the life of Caryl Chessman and reportedly won a 60-day stay for him. Currently, as Attorney General, he is obligated to represent the state in fighting death penalty appeals and stated that he will follow the law, regardless of his personal beliefs"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Brown

Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I wonder why people distort the truth? [typical Republican approach
Like a typical Liberal begin to shout items before checking the facts

Loook verry closely
At the top left cooorner

I am a Libertarian not a Republican.

You don't need to post to many Wiki click and pastes. I'm dating myself but remembered well Gov. Brown's tenure, but then again it is your chioce as I live in Georgia and doing my best to make sure Barnes does not come back here to kill the state. That, or turn it into another California.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:42 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Like a typical Liberal begin to shout items before checking the facts

Loook verry closely
At the top left cooorner

I am a Libertarian not a Republican.

You don't need to post to many Wiki click and pastes. I'm dating myself but remembered well Gov. Brown's tenure, but then again it is your chioce as I live in Georgia and doing my best to make sure Barnes does not come back here to kill the state. That, or turn it into another California.
I don't see anything under your name that says you are a libertarian [a name embarrassed Republicans prefer]. You were wrong about Jerry Brown, that is all I wanted to say. I have no idea who Barnes is since that is a different state. This thread is about the California governor race.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:25 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Maybe they are waking up.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2010 - California Governor - Whitman vs. Brown

Tie right now, with Whitman having a little surge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections