Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Newt Gingrich if he ran for President?
Yes 10 22.73%
No 31 70.45%
Not sure 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:42 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,875,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I'm a Christian conservative, not a republican, we ran one of your guys for POTUS; how'd that turn out? Three RINOS have already been defeated in primaries for true conservatives, the latest being Murkowski in Alaska.
Whoa now, McCain is not my guy, I actually voted for Bob Barr. But there is some in bertween breathing room. I actually like Mitt Romney, but I know people won't get past his Mormonism. I don't think Gingrich, Palin or Huckabee should win the primary, they would all be disasters. And if you want a Rino, Huckabee is your guy.

But if it was Gngrich, I would vote for him over Obama any day. But I didn't vote for McCain, because basically I don't agree with him on just about anything, he's just a wishy washy old geezer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 02:08 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,286,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The Republicans will form a circular firing squad and shot themselves during the Republican primaries in 2012. Look at what is going on in this year’s primaries.

GOP gubenatorial candidate in Colorado is being asked by other Republican Party members in the state to step down after putting misleading information about his law enforcement career.

GOP candidates for govenor and the U.S Senate attacking each other.

GOP candidates for the U.S Senate in Alaska in an ugly primary battle.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The Republicans will form a circular firing squad and shot themselves during the Republican primaries in 2012. Look at what is going on in this year’s primaries.

GOP gubenatorial candidate in Colorado is being asked by other Republican Party members in the state to step down after putting misleading information about his law enforcement career.

GOP candidates for govenor and the U.S Senate attacking each other.

GOP candidates for the U.S Senate in Alaska in an ugly primary battle.
First of all, what does this have to do with 2012 and second, I guess you haven't been reading the papers, watching TV or reading the news magazines, but get your information form God only know what sources: 1-the Republicans (even from the Democrats) are expected to take over the House 2-they will probably come close in the Senate and they are predicted to add several governors to their ranks. So what the heck are you talking about? You know, interesting and intelleigent debates on these boards are fun and can be infomrative, one sided, groundless, narrow minded ones are boring.

Nita

Old 09-06-2010, 09:05 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,528,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So what? Yawn.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,835,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Gingrich has had numerous affairs, cheated at least one wife, did an awful global warming propaganda add with Pelosi and endorsed a very liberal RINO in upstate NY. I would stay home and not vote if he was the candidate.
Gingrich wasn't trying to stop Hoffman from winning, he was trying to stop the Democrats from winning in the NY-23 election. That was his strategy. Hoffman placed third in several districts at the beginning and Gingrich felt we would lose momentum taking a chance. None of us were sure Hoffman could pull it off. We hoped he would, but we weren't sure.

IMO, on his indiscretions - at least Gingrich manned up about his failure. His wife was not in the hospital "dying" of cancer. They had seen a marriage counselor for a period time. Apparently, that did not help. It doesn't always help a couple. And at least he wasn't sticking cigars up their Yippe-do-da's and lying about it - all the while - trying to define what sex ("depends on what "it" is ) really was - like a deer in the headlights.

On the Global Warming - Who didn't believe it until the whole thing came unraveled with lies by scientists? They sure made things sound plausible. I certainly do not hold that against Newt Gingrich or anyone else that thought all of that scientific data was true.

Last edited by Pressing-On; 09-06-2010 at 09:50 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I would vote for him over Obama, but I wish Newt would step aside. There is no way the general electorate is going to vote for Newt Gingrich. Women hate the guy, and his negatives far outweigh his earlier, positive accomplishments. And I just don't trust him.
Not sure of his chances myself. I know he is going to make that determination around March of 2011. You can be sure that he won't run unless he knows he stands at a 50% chance of winning. If he decides to run, I will be paying close attention to that. He's not a stupid man by any means and won't be making this decision lightly and he won't be running just for the heck of it. It will be a calculated purpose and decision on his part.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
America At Risk - Newt and Callista Gingrich - Citizens United Productions

We are long overdue for a serious global strategy in fighting terrorism and the ideology behind it. We must have the courage to tell the truth and to act on that truth. It's time to be honest about what we know.

Awesome, Newt!!! Keeping our eye on the ball!!

YouTube - America At Risk: The War With No Name - Official Trailer

Old 09-07-2010, 01:34 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,253,575 times
After the ad with Pelosi, he is now equivalent to Obama. E-Q-U-I-V-A-L-E-N-T!

Newt was tapped by Obama to help out with education. Newt is a big government democrat in republican clothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTjMjSXy30U

Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
After the ad with Pelosi, he is now equivalent to Obama. E-Q-U-I-V-A-L-E-N-T!

Newt was tapped by Obama to help out with education. Newt is a big government democrat in republican clothing.

YouTube - The Real Newt Gingrich
I read this quote by Gingrich:

“I will say this,” Gingrich said. “Having spent a good amount of time with Arne Duncan, [I know] he is a serious innovator trying to break up the old order and trying to find ways to get American schools to work. He’s very respectful of the unions. He’s more willing to work inside the system than I would be. But his determination to put the kids first is very admirable.”

I think he is coming from this point of view:
Quote:
In To Save America, Newt focuses on Solving the Education Crisis, stating that “No American should underestimate the continuing crisis in our educational system or the threat that crisis poses to our nation,” and proposes the creation of a model charter school law as the first solution to facing this challenge:

1. A model charter school law featuring freedom in personnel decisions, direct and full funding, and no limits on growth should be adopted in every state with these provisions:
  1. All the money allocated for student education goes directly to the school.
  2. The school manages its own staff, whereby it is exempt from laws regarding tenure and unionization.
  3. The school defines its own curriculum in line with state standards and assessments. Students in charters are not exempt from state assessments. The schools are not exempt from reporting requirements, nor should they be.

The growing wave of specialized public charter schools across America is encouraging. In To Save America, Newt proposes these additional solutions as the beginning steps toward real education reform:

2. All states should use student achievement and outside performance data as key components of teacher evaluation.
3. Parents whose children are currently trapped in failing schools must be given immediate, broad options for change.
4. The president and all fifty state governors should make learning and education reform a top priority and pledge specific action.
5. States should revise their teacher certification processes to provide preferential and expedited access to unquestionable excellence.
6. States should adopt new technologies in teaching, including online schools and the use of web-based curricula within their legal frameworks.
7. Business leadership should engage directly in partnerships with schools to create job-ready graduates.
8. States and school districts should provide expansion incentives for any school with a breakthrough record of achievement.
9. Every state should adopt an early learner program so students can learn faster than the state curriculum.
To Save America Tuesday: Solving America's Education Crisis | Newt.org (http://www.newt.org/newt-direct/save-america-tuesday-solving-americas-education-crisis - broken link)
I've listened and read quite a bit concerning Newt Gingrich, i.e., his American Solutions website, listened to his CPAC speeches, speech at David Horowitz Restoration Weekend, etc.

It's hard for me to think of him as not being a Conservative, although, he's certainly not far right. I am for reaching across the isles, which he has done on occasion, to whomever has the best workable ideas. Gingrich isn't afraid to do that.

I don't know what happened with the Department of Education, but I think I can put that in a very simple explanation that I will borrow from one of Dear Abby's pages. I read the column over 15 years ago and still remember it.

Someone wrote to her concerned about homeschooling replacing public education. Dear Abby wrote, "You don't have to worry about that. If they padlocked the doors, parents would be beating those doors wanting the public school to take their children."

That is so true and why I think we have a federally funded public education system. The large percentage of parents don't want the responsibility.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:34 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,253,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I read this quote by Gingrich:

“I will say this,” Gingrich said. “Having spent a good amount of time with Arne Duncan, [I know] he is a serious innovator trying to break up the old order and trying to find ways to get American schools to work. He’s very respectful of the unions. He’s more willing to work inside the system than I would be. But his determination to put the kids first is very admirable.”

I think he is coming from this point of view:
I've listened and read quite a bit concerning Newt Gingrich, i.e., his American Solutions website, listened to his CPAC speeches, speech at David Horowitz Restoration Weekend, etc.

It's hard for me to think of him as not being a Conservative, although, he's certainly not far right. I am for reaching across the isles, which he has done on occasion, to whomever has the best workable ideas. Gingrich isn't afraid to do that.

I don't know what happened with the Department of Education, but I think I can put that in a very simple explanation that I will borrow from one of Dear Abby's pages. I read the column over 15 years ago and still remember it.

Someone wrote to her concerned about homeschooling replacing public education. Dear Abby wrote, "You don't have to worry about that. If they padlocked the doors, parents would be beating those doors wanting the public school to take their children."

That is so true and why I think we have a federally funded public education system. The large percentage of parents don't want the responsibility.
Wow, that was a LOT more song and dance & smoke and mirrors than I've ever seen at any of the Guido clubs in NJ. Fact is, Gingrich was an enabler toward the federalization of the school system and actually says he has respect for the unions. That's enough for me. He's a big government "republican" through and through.

"Even after he left Congress, Gingrich would gone on to support and lobby for a $9 trillion expansion of Medicare and support the Trouble Asset Relief Program (TARP). His support of these two bills alone makes him unqualified to be the intellectual leader of any movement that supposedly supports economic policy that protects taxpayers."

Ouch! Sounds more like an Obama CV to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections