Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think McCain has at least a 20% chance of getting the GOP nomination in 2008?
NO way!!! 27 67.50%
Yeah, he might have a chance. 13 32.50%
I am not sure / don't know. 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:23 PM

467 posts, read 325,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I used to like John McCain, but he has flip flopped so much lately that he is dead meat, with me and with others.

Worst flip flop of all was when he sucked up to Jerry Falwell a few months ago, before Falwell passed away. Back in 2000, McCain said Falwell (and Pat Robertson) were "agents of intolerance." He said: "Neither party should be defined by pandering to the outer reaches of American politics and the agents of intolerance, whether Louis Farrakhan or Al Sharpton on the left, or Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell on the right...''
Augusta Georgia: metro@ugusta: McCain: GOP panders to religious right leaders 02/29/00 (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/022900/lat_mccain.shtml - broken link)

Hmmmmmmm...

For the 2008 campaign McCain is hearts and flowers with the agents of intolerance. Seems the Straight Talk Express is now the Sell Out Express: Cenk Uygur: John McCain: The Sell-Out Express - Politics on The Huffington Post

The old model of sucking up to Robertson, Falwell, Dobson & Rev Ted will not sway voters again. Those voters have been had - and know it. Had for their money, had for their votes, had for their acceptance of the lies and corruption.

Solidarity of the religious bloc is disintegrating. A group of religious leaders have started thinking for themselves and recently took a full page ad in the Colorado Springs Gazette taking Dobson (and others) to task for being more concerned about raising money (for themselves) then they are about stopping abortion. No kidding. I've been saying that for years about the talking heads on TV, the whole lot of them, all the way back to Jimmy (I have sinned) Swaggart and Jim & Tammy Faye (the makeup queen) Bakker, etc. The whole lot of them stink. Only Billy Graham has credibility - largely because he sticks to church and stays out of politics.

McCain is reaching out to discredited "leaders" that have little impact now. He and his staff have FAILED to recognize that the canary in the mines of raging evangelicals has died. McCain's own political asphyxiation is at hand.
OH! That flip flop =- yep, I remeber that one. You are so right. I was pretty shocked that he would suck up to Jerry - ew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 09:30 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
McCain and Clinton remind me of each other in a lot of ways. He always claimed to be a Republican, but used to vote Democrat the majority of the time. Since he's been working towards running for president, he's suddenly become more conservative. I don't like a candidate who changes for popularity, and I really hope he doesn't win.
Well, then I guess Romney and Giuliani are out then too, huh. Who do you have left? The three bozos that don't believe in gravity, and Dr. Ron Paul.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:35 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
I agree with you on Romney. I don't know which positions McCain has switched. I have a lot of respect for him and for what he endured as a POW. I just wish he hadn't debased himself by aligning so closely with Bush after what Bush's people did to his family during the primaries. How do you hug a man who let his people say your wife is a an addict and a tramp and your daughter is illegitimate? Maybe you can forgive what they say about you, but to chum up with a guy like that - I've lost all respect for him.
Not to mention when the Bush camp implied he was mentally imbalanced and a bit deranged because of his POW experiences. That was disgusting. I kind of admire the old codger, but agree he has proven to be too willing to flip around on major issues and also too willing to forgive Bush publicly in the face of political expediency. Not to mention his blind eye towards the war today. Too bad.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:02 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Well, then I guess Romney and Giuliani are out then too, huh. Who do you have left? The three bozos that don't believe in gravity, and Dr. Ron Paul.
Sadly, I think every candidate is out for that, but McCain and Clinton shift on what some would call "core" issues. Although - I don't know if Clinton's apologized for the war yet. Edwards and Obama did, but I think she was holding out.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:55 PM

467 posts, read 325,039 times
Quote:
Sadly, I think every candidate is out for that, but McCain and Clinton shift on what some would call "core" issues. Although - I don't know if Clinton's apologized for the war yet. Edwards and Obama did, but I think she was holding out.
I'm confused. I thought you said she shifted her views on core issues and I'm not aware of any that she's shifted on.

Wouldn't her apologizing for her war vote be viewed as "shifting" and then wouldn't she be doing the very thing you don't like? Would you vote for her if she did apologize? See what I mean I'm confused.

Obama wasn't in the Senate in 2002.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Do you mean to tell me that abortion isn't a "core" issue?

Clinton did not start the war. She didn't even vote for the war. She voted for the Iraq Resolution. War was the last resort. She has no need to apologize. Those are reasons why I won't be voting for Edwards and Obama.

Go, Dr. Ron Paul, go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 12:40 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
'Juan' McCain ... please! His mind has started to go .... a few years back.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
'Juan' McCain ... please! His mind has started to go .... a few years back.
Juan?

Nice!!

Old 06-30-2007, 12:53 AM
jco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
I'm confused. I thought you said she shifted her views on core issues and I'm not aware of any that she's shifted on.

Wouldn't her apologizing for her war vote be viewed as "shifting" and then wouldn't she be doing the very thing you don't like? Would you vote for her if she did apologize? See what I mean I'm confused.

Obama wasn't in the Senate in 2002.
Yes, I see what you mean. I'll start over. She does shift on core issues, but I'm giving her credit for not shifting on the war to gain popularity as others in her party did.

Sorry, sometimes I forget that people can't see inside of my brain.

Back on topic - McCain changes political views like nailpolish. I hope he doesn't win.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:56 AM
jco

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Do you mean to tell me that abortion isn't a "core" issue?

Clinton did not start the war. She didn't even vote for the war. She voted for the Iraq Resolution. War was the last resort. She has no need to apologize. Those are reasons why I won't be voting for Edwards and Obama.

Go, Dr. Ron Paul, go!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm lost... abortion?

I clarified my comment in another post. Still confused about whether or not you like McCain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections