U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:16 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,116,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
hopefully, but I am afraid it would be used for more give aways.

Nita
think of the gov't as your actual uncle Sam. Ever since you were a kid your uncle has been asking you for money, and yet he never pays you back. He said that he needed it to fix his house, & his car, but he still drives the same ol POS. lately you have noticed that Sam is hanging around with known drug dealers Harry and Nancy. He also has been borrowing more money from you, and in some cases stealing it. Now, Sam is asking you once again for more money to do some home improvement. But, just last week you saw Sam, Harry & Nancy having a big party with alcohol, cocaine & prostitutes. Sam said that it was all paid for by someone else, and that your money was used for something else.

So, do you really want to give Uncle Sam more money? Is he going to spend it wisely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 03:49 PM

14,079 posts, read 16,935,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
think of the gov't as your actual uncle Sam. Ever since you were a kid your uncle has been asking you for money, and yet he never pays you back. He said that he needed it to fix his house, & his car, but he still drives the same ol POS. lately you have noticed that Sam is hanging around with known drug dealers Harry and Nancy. He also has been borrowing more money from you, and in some cases stealing it. Now, Sam is asking you once again for more money to do some home improvement. But, just last week you saw Sam, Harry & Nancy having a big party with alcohol, cocaine & prostitutes. Sam said that it was all paid for by someone else, and that your money was used for something else.

So, do you really want to give Uncle Sam more money? Is he going to spend it wisely?
That may be true, but when a tornado comes through your town or a flood or hurricane happens, that Uncle of yours will be there with fresh water, temporary housing, cash assistance to get you through the emergency and food. Or, when a foreign country or leader threatens your safety, that ol' Uncle of yours will dispatch armies, navies and munitions to defend you. Not to mention, that every time you go to visit Grandma, you travel on highways built by that Uncle or fly through skies supervised by Uncle to make sure you get there safely.

So, give him some more money. You're gaining about as much as you're losing. It's not all wasted.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That may be true, but when a tornado comes through your town or a flood or hurricane happens, that Uncle of yours will be there with fresh water, temporary housing, cash assistance to get you through the emergency and food. Or, when a foreign country or leader threatens your safety, that ol' Uncle of yours will dispatch armies, navies and munitions to defend you. Not to mention, that every time you go to visit Grandma, you travel on highways built by that Uncle or fly through skies supervised by Uncle to make sure you get there safely.

So, give him some more money. You're gaining about as much as you're losing. It's not all wasted.
how about YOU give him some more money? How much money is enough anyway?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
how about YOU give him some more money? How much money is enough anyway?
I don't want to give him any more than I have to, but when I need his help, I don't want him to be broke.

Do you?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:42 PM

68,767 posts, read 78,826,340 times
Quote:

Holy cow, I don't want to give the government a penny but if they have it, I would like to see them pay the deficit down. Sam isn't my friend or my Uncle (well he was my uncle at one time) Nancy and Harry are are on the other team, the team I want to beat.

Nita

Old 09-23-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I don't want to give him any more than I have to, but when I need his help, I don't want him to be broke.

Do you?
ok, now we have something that we agree on
here's my view...
1. The government takes ENOUGH of our tax money every year. The problems arise when
a. illegals & other tax cheats pay ZERO in taxes. We need to set up the system that ensures all citizens pay their fair share of taxes. When people get used to free handouts then they feel as though they are entitled to it all their life.
b. government wastes our money. there's not much we can do about some waste, but nowadays it is ridiculous. What we can do is VOTE

Old 09-23-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Holy cow, I don't want to give the government a penny but if they have it, I would like to see them pay the deficit down. Sam isn't my friend or my Uncle (well he was my uncle at one time) Nancy and Harry are are on the other team, the team I want to beat.

Nita
good, me too I agree that we should pay the deficit down. But, to raise taxes when people are struggling is not the answer. Why not scale back gov't spending, and use that money to pay down the deficit?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
ok, now we have something that we agree on
here's my view...
1. The government takes ENOUGH of our tax money every year. The problems arise when
a. illegals & other tax cheats pay ZERO in taxes. We need to set up the system that ensures all citizens pay their fair share of taxes. When people get used to free handouts then they feel as though they are entitled to it all their life.
b. government wastes our money. there's not much we can do about some waste, but nowadays it is ridiculous. What we can do is VOTE

You do realize, don't you, that a significant percentage of working people pay no taxes at all? That's because Congress has decided to cut them some slack because they're barely making it. Should we rescind that break for the working poor? Also, it might interest you to know that illegals working at "real" jobs pay their income taxes right alongside everyone else. Worse, they also pay Social Security taxes with no prospect of ever getting any of it back because they're using a fake SS number.

But, be that as it may, I won't disagree about wasted money, but I will point out that it's only "wasted" to those who aren't getting it. The determination of whether or not some specific item of government spending is wasteful is a subjective assessment. In other words, everyone wants someone elses' check cut off; not theirs. Therein lies the root of the problem.

Yes, we can vote and we should vote. But, what are we voting for? Or, what are we voting against? And, how is our vote to be translated into action?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:46 PM

68,767 posts, read 78,826,340 times
Quote:
good, me too I agree that we should pay the deficit down. But, to raise taxes when people are struggling is not the answer. Why not scale back gov't spending, and use that money to pay down the deficit?
This is exactly what we should do, but remember, this would make some of those bleeding hearts cry???

Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,472,951 times
I think we need to do a whole fundamental overhaul on the tax system in this country. My feelings are this:
1. The rich should be taxed and taxed more the richer they are. My top rate 50% for anybody making over 1 million a year.
2. Every individual should pay taxes and no more gimmick "child tax credits" that give huge refunds to people that never paid a cent in taxes. Tax rates should start at 1% on the first $30,000 of any individual's income. You make $30,000, you pay $300. No more "married" filing and no more deductions for kids or mortgages or anything. You earn, you pay- period. Your wife earns, she pays. Your wife stays home with the kids, she does not pay.
3. Tax rates and taxes will apply to NET income. If a business person makes $300,000 but spends $200,000 of that on the business, his RATE and his TAX will be calculated on the $100,000 net he made. Employees will be treated the same way including being able to deduct the IRS rate for the miles you commute to and from work and any expenses of keeping and doing your job.
4. There will be only a net income tax no matter the source of the income. No separate rates for interest, dividends, capital gains. Tax return would look like this:

1. How much did you make?
2. How much did it cost you to make it?
3. Subtract line 2 from line 1
4. Go to tax table and see what you owe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections