Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:30 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

So the NRA has a policy of endorsing incumbents regardless of party as long as they are pro-second amendment. As a result, they have thrown their support behind a few Dems who may benefit greatly from the support.
I'm thinking it's not gonna be the 'bloodbath' many are hoping for.

"Among the most vulnerable Democrats who have won NRA backing are Reps. Betsy Markey (Col.), Harry Teague (N.M.), Chet Edwards (Tex.), Allen Boyd (Fla.), Earl Pomeroy (N.D.), Debbie Halvorson (Ill.), Paul E. Kanjorski (Pa.) and John Boccieri (Ohio)."

washingtonpost.com

Full disclosure: Harry Teague is my congressman and I am hoping he gets re-elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 03:46 PM

590 posts, read 554,920 times
Pro second amendment Democrats are rare, that's why Republican candidates the NRA endorses usually outnumber Democrats. Remember also that such Democrats are outnumbered by those in their own party, who want to ban guns. Plus, we've seen some politicians in both parties that were 100% for the second amendment, then change over to somewhat anti-gun or completely against citizens freedom to own guns. One such example is Al Gore, he was completely against the law that banned fully automatic weapons around the late 1980's, now he's completely against what the NRA is trying to protect. Go figure.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:51 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post
Pro second amendment Democrats are rare, that's why Republican candidates the NRA endorses usually outnumber Democrats. Remember also that such Democrats are outnumbered by those who want to ban guns. Plus, we've seen some politicians in both parties that were 100% for the second amendment, then change over to somewhat anti-gun or completely against citizens freedom to own guns. One such example is Al Gore, he was completely against the law that banned fully automatic weapons around the late 1980's, now he's completely against the NRA. Go figure.
In downstate NY or NJ, yes. In NM or CO, not so much

Oh, I know. Politics makes people do strange things.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:49 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Join GOA instead, MUCH more gun friendly.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:34 PM

590 posts, read 554,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Join GOA instead, MUCH more gun friendly.
Overall, the NRA, GOA, and The Second Amendment Foundation, which was founded by Alan Gottlieb, and other such organizations, all have one goal and that is to protect our rights to keep and bear arms.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:06 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
I hope none of these Dems do what Kirsten Gillibrand did: has an "A" NRA rating as a congresswoman and went to no support after "climbing in bed" with the antis when made a senator: her theory, as in one paper here, is that she "didn't know" cities and the dangers and we need those laws to stop criminals from getting guns. Geesh. How dumb does she think people are to beleive that?

Yes, I am in NY State.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:16 AM

516 posts, read 375,733 times
NRA members, of which I'm one, know that NRA endorsements are for voting correctly on gun laws. We also know that republican opponents of dems who have a decent record regarding gun laws are even more gun friendly and we vote accordingly. In other words, these NRA endorsements of some dems are not going to help stop the tsunami heading your way. But if it helps you get through another day...

Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
You got to keep some gun lovers in the Democratic party! Just think if this last Democratic controlled congress wanted to go after our guns and there were not those among them to stop it.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:05 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1 View Post
NRA members, of which I'm one, know that NRA endorsements are for voting correctly on gun laws. We also know that republican opponents of dems who have a decent record regarding gun laws are even more gun friendly and we vote accordingly. In other words, these NRA endorsements of some dems are not going to help stop the tsunami heading your way. But if it helps you get through another day...
I am NRA as well; actually, the entire family is.
I read the ratings, I keep them in mind and I will be voting accordingly. Even if it is a gun friendly Dem when the Rep. is not gun friendly.

However, there are things that get put on websites which pick up old endorsements which are out of date: example - Gillibrand I mentioned above. Fine progun as a congresswoman, deplorable votes as a senator. The old "A" rating is still up on many sites where candidates are listed by issue. (Not NRA).

People do not realize that what they read may be outdated. they need to really check.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:35 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So the NRA has a policy of endorsing incumbents regardless of party as long as they are pro-second amendment. As a result, they have thrown their support behind a few Dems who may benefit greatly from the support.
I'm thinking it's not gonna be the 'bloodbath' many are hoping for.

"Among the most vulnerable Democrats who have won NRA backing are Reps. Betsy Markey (Col.), Harry Teague (N.M.), Chet Edwards (Tex.), Allen Boyd (Fla.), Earl Pomeroy (N.D.), Debbie Halvorson (Ill.), Paul E. Kanjorski (Pa.) and John Boccieri (Ohio)."

washingtonpost.com

Full disclosure: Harry Teague is my congressman and I am hoping he gets re-elected.
They can be pro-gun when thy're home but when Pelosi and Reid get them in their figuratively-speaking crosshairs, they are just Democrat meat puppets following their leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections