Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:27 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,283 times

Advertisements

Hmm..I find this interesting..REAL interesting. What was that about an enthusiasm gap again?

Now, I'm not saying this isn't going to be a Republican year, but perhaps that GOP landslide isn't going to materialize after all. And nobody can tell me that if they fail to take either chamber, it can't be considered a devastating defeat..

Quote:
An analysis of the more than 3 million ballots that have already been cast across the country "give Democrats an edge in a number of states and big counties.

The Democrats -- who are fighting to keep control of the U.S. House and Senate -- also had success with early voting during President Obama's election in 2008.

"If people thought the Democrats were just going to roll over and play dead in this election, that's not what we're seeing," said Michael McDonald, a George Mason University professor who tracks early voting nationally, according to the AP dispatch. "They've got to be feeling a little bit better with the numbers that they're seeing."

Early voting gives edge to Democrats - On Politics: Covering the US Congress, Governors, and the 2010 Election - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 02:39 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,160 times
that is good news. hope it was to you too.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:39 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,818,916 times
My theory is that the segment of Dem voters who collect government handouts are politically apathetic.They came across as unlikely voters in political surveys. But due to the Dems strong "get out the vote" campaign a lot of these welfare queen types will in fact vote. (The educated affluent Democrats were probably going to vote anway).At the same time all the landslide predictions might be causing some Reps to stay home. I don't want it to be, but it wouldn't shock me if things are closer than the pundits were expecting.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:40 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,544 times
Funny,that's not what I'm hearing!

Quote:
Analysts in both parties say all major indicators tilt toward the Republicans. President Barack Obama's policies are widely unpopular. Congress, run by the Democrats, rates even lower. Fear and anger over unemployment and deep deficits are energizing conservative voters; liberals are demoralized.

As Democrats' message lags, GOP awaits huge wins - Boston.com

Quote:
Two separate polls released Tuesday tell the same grim story for Democrats: Prepare to lose in the November midterm elections.

An ABC News/Washington Post poll gives the GOP a 53%-40% advantage over Democrats in this year's congressional races, the largest gap in that poll since 1981.

Republicans own big lead over Democrats heading into November midterm elections, poll show

Quote:
What’s more, Republicans appear to be benefiting from the public’s pessimistic mood, as approximately six in 10 registered voters think that the country is on the wrong track, and that the economy will get worse or stay the same in the next 12 months.

“Election Day is coming, the hurricane force has not diminished and it is going to hit the Democrats head on,” said Democratic pollster Peter D. Hart, who conducted the survey with Republican pollster Bill McInturff.

“It’s hard to say that the Democrats are facing anything less than a Category 4 hurricane,” Hart added.

Less Than Two Weeks Out, Republicans Poised For Big Gains

Old 10-21-2010, 02:45 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
My theory is that the segment of Dem voters who collect government handouts are politically apathetic.They came across as unlikely voters in political surveys. But due to the Dems strong "get out the vote" campaign a lot of these welfare queen types will in fact vote. (The educated affluent Democrats were probably going to vote anway).At the same time all the landslide predictions might be causing some Reps to stay home. I don't want it to be, but it wouldn't shock me if things are closer than the pundits were expecting.
I agree that its going to be closer, but somewhat disagree with the reasoning.

Quite a few of the likely voter models were enthusiasm based, now some of those liberal educated voters who were likely going to vote anyway, may have come across as not being enthusiastic in some of these surveys and as such not counted as a likely voter, even though they actually were. Some of these voters are now being considered as more enthusiastic and appearing in some of these surveys which they were not previously. This might be why you have seen races in which the GOP pretty much led throughout now become dead heats (Colorado, Pennsylvania, perhaps Wisconsin as well). At this point its more evident in the Senate than in the House.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:47 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,283 times
Earth to Gixxer1K.. I'm well aware of the polling data and predictions of Republican wins. This thread is about a Democratic edge in early voting, which may just indicate that when it's all said and done, GOP gains will be smaller than expected..

Get it now? Thanks.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:52 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Earth to Gixxer1K.. I'm well aware of the polling data and predictions of Republican wins. This thread is about a Democratic edge in early voting, which may just indicate that when it's all said and done, GOP gains will be smaller than expected..

Get it now? Thanks.

Earth to Upton.....I wouldn't be so sure of that,even here in Liberal Mass. all the Dems. are falling behind. If it can happen here what's that say for the other states!

Got it!

Old 10-21-2010, 02:55 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,825,777 times
voting early is will not be a edge if the early voters intended to vote for dems anyway

Old 10-21-2010, 02:57 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Early vote a bad omen for Harry Reid - Molly Ball - POLITICO.com

Quote:
In Clark County, which is heavily Democratic, more Democrats than Republicans have voted, but Republicans are outperforming their share of the electorate.

Out of the nearly 47,000 votes cast in Clark County, 46 percent were Democrats, 39 percent Republicans, according to the Clark County Election Department. But while Democrats make up 46 percent of the county's registered voters, Republicans constitute just 33 percent.
Must be careful;

In a state like NC, where dems out Rep and Indies in voter registration, certainly doesn't mean those dems are voting for the D.

http://www.app.sboe.state.nc.us/NCSBE/VR/VR%20Stats/vr_stats_results.asp?EC=10-16-2010 (broken link)

Same with places like OH, WV, KY, AR - majority dem registration...not so much when it comes time to vote.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Hmm..I find this interesting..REAL interesting. What was that about an enthusiasm gap again?

Now, I'm not saying this isn't going to be a Republican year, but perhaps that GOP landslide isn't going to materialize after all. And nobody can tell me that if they fail to take either chamber, it can't be considered a devastating defeat..

Early voting gives edge to Democrats - On Politics: Covering the US Congress, Governors, and the 2010 Election - USATODAY.com
Early voting never has and probably never will give the edge to Democrats. The article is based on the views of a very liberal professor in case you didn't realize that and it is in USA today which is almost a liberal as the NY Times and LA Times, but don't tell them that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections