Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:05 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times

Advertisements

We are very close to voting day, and there is an issue I would like to know how others feel about.

Virginia Beach uses Voting Machines, that has no hard copy capability. Does not give you anything to confirm/verify your votes are counted how you want them to happen. Additionally, upon failure of any of these machines, there is no way to go back to ANY recorded vote/paper backup etc, all votes are lost.

I personally have major issues with this.

You would think in this day and age, it would not be difficult to get a double printout, 1 to be turned in, the other kept by the voter, listing the votes as they were placed, and allowing for manual verification, if there is any question to the validity of the electronic voting machines. Especially as there are reports all over of voter fraud concerning the electronic systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:11 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Bad idea.
Relying on technology removes personal accountability, which is why our creatures in government love em and why they are here to stay.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:40 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Electronic voting machines are better than paper ballots. Remember hanging chads and our worst president ever.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
We are very close to voting day, and there is an issue I would like to know how others feel about.

Virginia Beach uses Voting Machines, that has no hard copy capability. Does not give you anything to confirm/verify your votes are counted how you want them to happen. Additionally, upon failure of any of these machines, there is no way to go back to ANY recorded vote/paper backup etc, all votes are lost.

You would think in this day and age, it would not be difficult to get a double printout, 1 to be turned in, the other kept by the voter, listing the votes as they were placed, and allowing for manual verification, if there is any question to the validity of the electronic voting machines. Especially as there are reports all over of voter fraud concerning the electronic systems.
I work in IT as a computer programmer. I still like to get an actual hard copy for important things...I personally think this is just not the right way to do it.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:

Premier Election Solutions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Since in Virginia Beach, each person has a "designated place" to vote, there's no issue of going to different polling places and voting numerous times:

What really should be happening (and it's really not that hard to program) would be an electronic voting system with a hard copy backup. Have a central printer at each voting station. When you reach the booth, you scan your ID card or enter your license/permit number. If you have neither, a polling person could run an override to manually enter the name and create a unique "ID" indentifier for the database. Then the person makes their votes.

The votes would continue to post to the centralized database linked with the License number or manually-created ID number, what the person chose, and a barcode number - but each vote would add to an on-site print queue. A medium size notecard would get printed with the voter's name, choices, and a barcode containing the information. In fact, it could print two - one for you, one for them.

That way, if the centralized database goes down, all that needs to be done is scanning the barcodes which would run a script to add the information to the database.

Electronic systems are much faster at counting than people with tallies. However, they are not failproof, so a physical backup is necessary.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:

We have Jurassic era voting machines in my current town. You spin a wheel (I kid you not) until it highlights your choice and then you hit a button to indicate acceptance of that choice. At the end of the voting on the candidates and the initiatives, a summary screen comes up to show all of the choices you made. It's not until you press the button on that summary screen that your votes are recorded so you have an opportunity to go back and change them if you made a mistake. The first screen is where you enter your ticket number given to you at the table when you checked in. I'm thinking, if you saved your ticket and there is a question of fraud, you can tell the investigator to compare your ticket number to the ballot with that number to see if your votes were recorded the way you know you voted. But I agree that a printout for you to keep would be more satisfactory.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:53 PM

667 posts, read 940,131 times
Quote:

Only a very stupid and very naive people can believe that such systems are without fraud.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:36 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
I don't like them. I think they are too fallible. Couldn't an outside hacker get into the system and screw things up? Stranger things have happened.

To the poster who mentioned hanging chads, there is an alternative to a machine and an old fashioned punch card. (We were the last state to use those) In Idaho we use bubble sheets similar to the ones used in school tests. Easy to read and understand, and they produce a hard verifiable copy.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:44 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
I don't like them. I think they are too fallible. Couldn't an outside hacker get into the system and screw things up? Stranger things have happened.

To the poster who mentioned hanging chads, there is an alternative to a machine and an old fashioned punch card. (We were the last state to use those) In Idaho we use bubble sheets similar to the ones used in school tests. Easy to read and understand, and they produce a hard verifiable copy.

MD had those, they're called Opti-Scans. There have been so many complaints about the no hard copy computerized machines we have now that the Legislature directed the State Board of Elections to return to the Opti-Scans. They forgot to appropriate any money to do it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections