Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:41 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times

Advertisements

Not really, considering most of them are liberal and would like nothing better than to see the republicans bomb out on election night, based on the "expectations" the media has created.

Whenever there is a consensus in the MSM, one should be rightly suspicious.

Last edited by sanrene; 10-31-2010 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 09:42 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I trust most polls are off by quite a lot.
to a point we agree on this. one thing i learned years ago is that early in the election cycle, the polls cannot be trusted, but as election day draws near, the polls generally tighten up and are much closer to what the reality of election day is. polls have gotten much better since the 40s, remember dewey beats truman?

in the end the only poll that is accurate is the one held on election day in regards to who the people want in office.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
to a point we agree on this. one thing i learned years ago is that early in the election cycle, the polls cannot be trusted, but as election day draws near, the polls generally tighten up and are much closer to what the reality of election day is. polls have gotten much better since the 40s, remember dewey beats truman?

in the end the only poll that is accurate is the one held on election day in regards to who the people want in office.
I am old, but not quite enough to "remember" 'Dewey Beats Truman'. To your point, I do agree.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:54 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
They always have the phone surveys and online surveys to see where the country's head is at but you never really know what is going to happen until election day. Also there's a margin of error that goes along with the polls, who they sampled, etc.

If the polls are correct then that's supposed to be an indication of how reliable the pollster was at the time of sampling. But what happens instead is that they go to the same pollster year after year to be "spot on" if they were correct with their survey in any election cycle. I think they're usually biased.

It's a toss up until election day in my opinion.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:56 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
I am old, but not quite enough to "remember" 'Dewey Beats Truman'. To your point, I do agree.
yeah, that happened about 10 years before i was born.

Last edited by rbohm; 10-31-2010 at 10:29 AM..

Old 10-31-2010, 10:17 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
I trust the Poles.

I'm not convinced yet about the Irish.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Having seen several of the polls that are trumpeted as factual while being diametrically opposed in its conclusion to other polls on the same subject, how is it reasonable to trust any of these polls?

Who are these people that they get their data from? Personally, they have never approached me or anyone that I know.

Having read some of the polling questions in the media I see that many of them ask slanted questions to get the answer they desire.

So, once again, do you trust the polls?
I think those taken at this late date are probably fairly close to acturate, but sure the questions are slanted. When a call comes and it is a simple question: are you voting for X or Y it is pretty easy, but when they start throwing in all kinds of crap or based on such and such how to you feel about thus and so, then I am inclined to think it is set up to go the way the pollster wants it to go.

Nita

Old 10-31-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Where is your evidence to prove this? If you're correct, then the results on Tues will not reflect the current polling, which I do not believe will be the case.

Where are examples of polls being "off by quite a lot?"
I think he is hoping becasue of what the Florida polls are showing...

Nita

Old 10-31-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I do remember or more, remember hearing my parents discuss it after the election. I lived in a split family: daddy very much a Republican and Mom very much a Democrat. I think that election was the starting of their choice to get a divorce. (I am only kidding about that, but not the divorce)

Nita

ps: polling in those days was not quite the science we have today. Heck lots of people didn't even have phones. I know it is hard to beleive, but they didn't.

NIta

Old 10-31-2010, 12:04 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do remember or more, remember hearing my parents discuss it after the election. I lived in a split family: daddy very much a Republican and Mom very much a Democrat. I think that election was the starting of their choice to get a divorce. (I am only kidding about that, but not the divorce)

Nita

ps: polling in those days was not quite the science we have today. Heck lots of people didn't even have phones. I know it is hard to beleive, but they didn't.

NIta
I don't know, unless the daily Gallup poll ever shows the Presidents approval equal or higher than disapproval, I don't think the Repubs need worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections