Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:44 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Seeing as how most Latinos in Florida are Cubans like Rubio, i think 55% is actually underperforming in that community. He wouldn't even get more than 10% in other heavily Latino laden states. Of all Latinos in Florida, his 55% total might actually mean that the only Latinos who voted for him were Cubans...and he may have even underperformed among Cubans!!!

Truth is, Rubio won because Kendrick Meek stayed in the race.
Pure speculation on your part. The FACT that he captured 55% of the Latino vote is amazing.

Truth is, no, Rubio didn't win because Meeks stayed in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Seeing as how most Latinos in Florida are Cubans like Rubio, i think 55% is actually underperforming in that community. He wouldn't even get more than 10% in other heavily Latino laden states. Of all Latinos in Florida, his 55% total might actually mean that the only Latinos who voted for him were Cubans...and he may have even underperformed among Cubans!!!

Truth is, Rubio won because Kendrick Meek stayed in the race.
Sorry guy you're wrong.Rubio won 35% of the non-cuban vote.You must know cubans are the main ethnicity, but not the majority...Many puerto ricans, mexicans and dominicans + strong growth of colombians and venezuelans

Old 12-08-2010, 12:08 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Sorry guy you're wrong.Rubio won 35% of the non-cuban vote.You must know cubans are the main ethnicity, but not the majority...Many puerto ricans, mexicans and dominicans + strong growth of colombians and venezuelans
35% is pretty low for someone that is Hispanic. I bet you if his name was Scott Smith with the same agenda he would have gotten even less votes

anyone that lives in South Florida knows that most cubans vote republican. No surprise here. The only exceptions is when the candidate is Hispanic they might vote democrat. as a Non Cuban Hispanic,I didn't vote for this clown, in fact I campaigned against him.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
35% is pretty low for someone that is Hispanic. I bet you if his name was Scott Smith with the same agenda he would have gotten even less votes

anyone that lives in South Florida knows that most cubans vote republican. No surprise here. The only exceptions is when the candidate is Hispanic they might vote democrat. as a Non Cuban Hispanic,I didn't vote for this clown, in fact I campaigned against him.
I would disagree with you: 35% is not a low amount when you are talking non Cuban and it was a 3 way contest. It there were just 2 main candidates I might be inclined to see your point, not with 3. He did exceptionally well all the way around. I am not sure your not voting for him has much to do with anything or the fact you campaigned against him. The simple point is: did he do well among the Hispanics and the answer is YES.

Nita

Old 12-08-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would disagree with you: 35% is not a low amount when you are talking non Cuban and it was a 3 way contest. It there were just 2 main candidates I might be inclined to see your point, not with 3. He did exceptionally well all the way around. I am not sure your not voting for him has much to do with anything or the fact you campaigned against him. The simple point is: did he do well among the Hispanics and the answer is YES.

Nita
Yep, in a three way race 35% is good And 55% is very good

Old 12-08-2010, 01:13 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
No he did not, because he is Hispanic. Hispanics in South Florida usually vote for other Hispanics weather they are from Cuba, Nicaragua or la Patagonia. Remember we are talking about a region where Spanish is the main language. Obvoiusly you don't know the Spanish community here. They tend to be more flexible than your typical Californian Hispanic who would never vote for a republican. the other two candidades were not Hispanic or campaigning in Spanish so he had a huge advantage but still didn't get the majority of non Cuban vote.

It is a well known fact that south Florida and cubans are voting more for democrats. 20 years ago this guy would have gotten at least 80% or 90% of the Cuban vote. Back then if you were Cuban and not republican you were a traitor, a communist and a genocide supporter. It's the other way around, republicans are losing ground in South Florida because tge new generation of cubans tendto be democrat.

Bottomline Florida Hispanics do not represent Hispanics. We are totally different than the rest of Hispanics And Mexicans are still 70% of the Hispanic population.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
No he did not, because he is Hispanic. Hispanics in South Florida usually vote for other Hispanics weather they are from Cuba, Nicaragua or la Patagonia. Remember we are talking about a region where Spanish is the main language. Obvoiusly you don't know the Spanish community here. They tend to be more flexible than your typical Californian Hispanic who would never vote for a republican. the other two candidades were not Hispanic or campaigning in Spanish so he had a huge advantage but still didn't get the majority of non Cuban vote.

It is a well known fact that south Florida and cubans are voting more for democrats. 20 years ago this guy would have gotten at least 80% or 90% of the Cuban vote. Back then if you were Cuban and not republican you were a traitor, a communist and a genocide supporter. It's the other way around, republicans are losing ground in South Florida because tge new generation of cubans tendto be democrat.

Bottomline Florida Hispanics do not represent Hispanics. We are totally different than the rest of Hispanics And Mexicans are still 70% of the Hispanic population.
He certainly had 70%-80% of the Cuban vote
If 35% of non-cubans chose it, a big majority of the cuban vote was necessary to get 55%.Young cubans are more likely to vote democrat it's right but cubans are ageing quickly, elders vote more.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
He certainly had 70%-80% of the Cuban vote
If 35% of non-cubans chose it, a big majority of the cuban vote was necessary to get 55%.Young cubans are more likely to vote democrat it's right but cubans are ageing quickly, elders vote more.
Exactly and I think anyone who thinks that Cubans are voting Democrat overwelmingly needs to re-check their info. Other hispanics, yes, especially P.Ricans, but Cubans, NO. As you mention, maybe the younger ones, but older people vote twice as often as younger ones. This has always been the case and more-so today with the exception of 2008.

Nita

Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 AM

313 posts, read 324,510 times
Rubio has President written all over him. He is good looking and multlingual. Women would be standing in line to vote for him. He has yet to say anything i disagree with. Repulicans would be smart to run this guy. When he speaks the honey just runs out of his mouth. All without a telepromter. Yep, he has my vote. With 68 percent of America agreeing with Arizona he would be smart to stick with them.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo700 View Post
Rubio has President written all over him. He is good looking and multlingual. Women would be standing in line to vote for him. He has yet to say anything i disagree with. Repulicans would be smart to run this guy. When he speaks the honey just runs out of his mouth. All without a telepromter. Yep, he has my vote. With 68 percent of America agreeing with Arizona he would be smart to stick with them.
He would have mine as well, but I am a little afraid it might be too soon for him. I don't know the answer, maybe VP and then Pres???

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections