Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:38 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I think Obama's attempt to compromise not only shut up a lot of the "He's a Marxist" types, it showed independents he's willing to work with Republicans. If the economy improves, it doesn't really matter who the GOP runs against Obama. He wins easy.
The independents who are concerned about the deficit will not like this tax deal at all. It keeps getting worse too with all the pork they add to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 07:12 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,074,409 times
I wonder if Bill Clinton would be a possible challenger to Obama in 2012? After all, Obama keeps turning to Bubba for backup which keeps putting Bill back in the limelight. Maybe that's the reason that Hillary is saying that she won't run for public office again. (???) Is there anything to keep him from running?

If that's even a possibility, we have to rethink our conservative options.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I think Obama's attempt to compromise not only shut up a lot of the "He's a Marxist" types, it showed independents he's willing to work with Republicans. If the economy improves, it doesn't really matter who the GOP runs against Obama. He wins easy.
that is going to depend on a heck of a lot of things. Let's see how things shape up this time next year. Boy are you sure of yourself and Obama. You don't know how the conservatives are thinking on this one or what the outcome is going to be.

Nita

Old 12-12-2010, 01:28 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
No, this so-called compromise isn't going to turn the tide. It will take a lot more than this to win back the millions of ignorant voters. Those "independents" did not know what they were getting into by voting for Obama. Most of those voters are generally conservative, and they have seen enough. I think the damage is already done, and so is Obama in 2012.
If the right keeps up your way of thinking, it'll be even easier for Obama to win.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
I wonder if Bill Clinton would be a possible challenger to Obama in 2012? After all, Obama keeps turning to Bubba for backup which keeps putting Bill back in the limelight. Maybe that's the reason that Hillary is saying that she won't run for public office again. (???) Is there anything to keep him from running?

If that's even a possibility, we have to rethink our conservative options.
The fact that Obama is comfortable enough throwing Bill Clinton up there to defend the tax deal makes me less likely to believe Clinton (Bill or Hillary) will challenge him in 2012. They must be at peace with each other.

Any direct competition to Obama will come from outside the party, an independent who positions themselves both to the left of Obama and as someone who is lazer focused on the economy.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
There is no evidence that "strategic voting" has ever influenced the outcome of a major election. This doesn't seem to stop paranoid conservatives from constantly fretting about the possibility. To title the thread, "You know this will happen" is a great example of this type of paranoia.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:20 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There is no evidence that "strategic voting" has ever influenced the outcome of a major election. This doesn't seem to stop paranoid conservatives from constantly fretting about the possibility. To title the thread, "You know this will happen" is a great example of this type of paranoia.
The paranoia is denial. They still don't want to believe 3rd party's are anything more than wayward republicans. 30 odd years and counting, still in denial.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:43 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In 2012, I see this happening. If no one runs against Obama in the Democrat primary, Democrats will vote in the Republican primary for Sarah Palin because they think they can defeat her in the general election. Independents won't vote for her in the general election. In states like mine, you don't need to declare a political party when you register to vote making it very easy for Democrats to cross over on primary day without the need to re-register. Either someone has to run against Obama in the Democrat Party or the Republicans have to persuade Palin not to run, if Obama is to be defeated, in my opinion.
Excellent idea! I think I will change my Party affiliation so that I can do that.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
The paranoia is denial. They still don't want to believe 3rd party's are anything more than wayward republicans. 30 odd years and counting, still in denial.
Strartegic voting in this case is switching parties in the primary to vote for a candidate that you think will have trouble winning in the general. It doesn't have to do with 3rd parties.

Besides 3rd parties aren't always wayward Republicans. In 2000 Ralph Nadar took votes away directly from Al Gore. The election results were so close in Florida that if Nadar wasn't in the race Gore would have most likely won Florida and been elected President.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
If the right keeps up your way of thinking, it'll be even easier for Obama to win.
why do you say that? I agree that "my way of thinking" might not be for everyone.
But, go ahead and take a look at the mid-term election results.
The nationwide "schalacking" that occurred is no fluke. Obama has an uphill battle with a weakened base. I don't see him pulling it off unless his real name is Barack "Houdini" Obama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections