Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:30 PM

866 posts, read 1,556,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Don't care if he's a latter day saint either. But that's the bugaboo that will keep him from being embraced by mainstream evangelicals. Magic underwear, magic hats, the fact that his grandparents had to flee to Mexico because they were bigamists.
You obviously don't know much about Mormons. To be honest, I've never even heard the "magic hat" one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 12:00 AM

22,130 posts, read 19,347,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Who are you referring to that is not well liked outside the base? I am not talking Palin because she will never even get the nod if she runs. Are you talking Huckabee or can you think of others mentioned that are not well liked?

Nita
Huckabee, Gingrich, Barbour, "Man on Dog" Santorum, Thune, Demint

Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,617,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
You obviously don't know much about Mormons. To be honest, I've never even heard the "magic hat" one.
I do actually. The BoM was translated by Joseph Smith by using a seer stone in a big black hat. Calling it a magic hat may have been a bit over the top, but a hat was used.

Last edited by domergurl; 01-16-2011 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-16-2011, 09:34 AM

27,915 posts, read 29,755,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I do actually. The BoM was translated by Joseph Smith by using a seer stone in a big black hat. Calling it a magic hat may have been a bit over the top, but a hat was used.
Just curious, does your bigotry extend to all religions, or just to Mormonism? Would you ridicule Judaism, for instance, in the same way as you ridicule Mormonism? And if you did, do you think everybody'd laugh?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:42 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,262,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I really do not see why him being a Mormon should play a role in deciding whether to vote for him or not.

It is still like a branch of Christianity and not to mention that I think he is one of the more reasonable Republicans we may have.
As has been said over and over, it shouldn't make a difference, religion shouldn't period but it certainly will.

Nita

Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
It's always the same old story. "Southern evangelicals won't vote for _____!" Before 2008, how many times did you hear that there was no way McCain could compete in the South, what with his calling Robertson/Falwell 'agents of intolerance', once saying Roe v. Wade shouldn't be overturned, and having a checkered marital history? Well, McCain got more votes in Southern states than any other candidate, and that includes winning the two biggest prizes, Texas and Florida. Romney, it should be noted, did well in Florida, finishing second (he didn't compete in Texas, having dropped out by that time). The refusal of evangelicals to vote for candidates who don't match their evangelical mindset is vastly overstated.

It's also worth noting that most primaries aren't in the South. The nomination race begins in Iowa (which, curiously enough, is more often won in open GOP races by someone who doesn't go on to win the GOP nomination than by someone who does). Then, on to New Hampshire, where Romney will be a heavy favorite. After that, it's on to Nevada (which Romney is likely to dominate again) and South Carolina. Thereafter, the schedule is not yet fixed. But most of it is outside of the South, naturally. Romney should do quite well in the West (like he did in 2008, where Mormonism is more prevalent) and the Northeast (his natural base) and the upper Midwest (such as Michigan, one of Romney's sort-of home states (his father served two terms as Michigan's Governor).

This doesn't mean he will win. But the idea that he can't win simply ignores the evidence we have at hand. Way too many people are unable to distinguish between what the evidence indicates and what they want to be true.
McCain won in the south in 2008 because of the choices. It was geting down to Romney, Huck or McCain. End of story.

Nita

Old 01-16-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Would you mind being more specific? I'm curious as to which issues you're thinking of.

Huckabee likeable? I guess if you're a right-wing, fundamentalist Christian, maybe.
I think the "likable" refers to his personality, not his overall views. I have a hard time thinking anyone would not like his sense of humor, his smile and his down to earth attitude. This doesn't mean you approve of what he stands for. For those who are so narrow minded they have trouble separating nice personalities from overall views go ahead and say he isn't likeable.

Nita

Old 01-16-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Huckabee is George W. Bush II, only more right wing. No, no, no.
you have to be kidding....There couldn't be two candidates more different...

Smash, I guess I overlooked those as I don't think any of them are serious or are serious contenders.

By the way, if anyone thinks Crist would ever be on a ticket regardless of who is at the top, they are on drugs and Rand Paul: way to soon for him/

NIta

Old 01-16-2011, 12:16 PM

22,130 posts, read 19,347,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you have to be kidding....There couldn't be two candidates more different...

Smash, I guess I overlooked those as I don't think any of them are serious or are serious contenders.

By the way, if anyone thinks Crist would ever be on a ticket regardless of who is at the top, they are on drugs and Rand Paul: way to soon for him/

NIta
Huckabee is more likable than Bush, I will give you that. However, he is EXTREMELY socially conservative, and I don't see how he will have an appeal outside of the base because of that. His stance on gays for example will hurt him outside the base. Not so much for being opposed to Gay marriage, but his insane rhetoric on the issue, comparing it to Incest, drug use and crap like that. Not believing in Evolution. He is very much in the realm of having his political decisions be impacted by his personal religious beliefs, and that just wont sit well with many outside the base.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 PM

38,611 posts, read 26,251,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Mitt Romney, runner-up (more or less; Mike Huckabee also has a claim to that position) to John McCain in the 2008 Republican primaries, has resigned from the board of directors of the Marriott hotel chain. This appears to be part of the process of 'clearing his plate' before another Presidential bid. It is worth noting that he previously served on the board before resigning to run for Governor of Massachusetts.
Romney resigns from Marriott board – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Some will claim that Mitt "I like mandates!" Romney can't win the GOP nomination due to the health care reform in Massachusetts that he championed and enacted as Governor. But then, four years ago many claimed that McCain couldn't win the 2008 GOP nomination because he had called the religious right "agents of intolerance", he had opposed the Bush tax cuts, he had waffled on Roe v. Wade, and so forth. Yet McCain did win the nomination without too much difficulty after disavowing those positions.

We will see how Romney fares.

America will never elect a Mormon.

Next!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections