Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,785,962 times

Advertisements

Romney is bascially a candiadte with the wrong message at the wrong time. He is out of step with the chnages i voters views than McCain was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 AM

28,068 posts, read 29,910,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I bring it all up because this is what his own party brings up. I think he's a threat to the democratic party and would probably beat Obama if he got the nomination.
Okay, if that's the case, I misread you. I'm personally not convinced that he could beat Obama, though. I just think there's more anti-Mormon sentiment out there (and more inaccurate information about Romney's religion) than people realize.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:04 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,984,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, if that's the case, I misread you. I'm personally not convinced that he could beat Obama, though. I just think there's more anti-Mormon sentiment out there (and more inaccurate information about Romney's religion) than people realize.
Romney (if he is the nominee) will beat Obama if Obama's stuck below 45% approval in November of next year; conversely, he can't win if Obama is above 50%.

If Obama is somewhere in between those two (where he has been the past few weeks) then it's a toss-up. Of course, as history shows, he could be 20% higher or 20% lower by then. 22 months is an eternity in American politics...

Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,704,191 times
Quote:
We are on the same page! I don't care that he's LDS, but the base of the GOP does! Heck, even Huckabee can't say anything good about Romney and he's a preacherman! It would be interesting to see who Romney would pick for his runningmate ... Bloomberg maybe?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:29 PM

28,068 posts, read 29,910,913 times
Quote:
We are on the same page! I don't care that he's LDS, but the base of the GOP does! Heck, even Huckabee can't say anything good about Romney and he's a preacherman! It would be interesting to see who Romney would pick for his runningmate ... Bloomberg maybe?
I just hope he's smart enough not to pick Sarah Palin! Personally, I don't think he'll get far enough to have to worry about picking a runningmate. Huckabee's attitude towards Mormons is just so typical of the average fundamentalist Christian. I can't imagine Romney ever being able to get past that one hurdle.

By the way, I don't know to what degree, if any, things have changed in the past two to three years, but in a 2008 national public opinion poll, 27% of all respondants said they believe that if Mormons had enough political power, they would try to force people to convert to Mormonism. Even more unbelievable (at least to me) was that 47% believe that Mormons can be as fanatical as Muslims. Of course, that's a real slur against Muslims, too. I don't know if these people are thinking of Muslims in some of the Arab countries or of U.S. Muslims, but how many people would vote for someone they saw in that light? Seriously, as a Mormon, I think that there is just a ton of misinformation out there about what Mormons actually believe. For the most part, I think we can thank the right-wing Evangelical Christians for that.

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-17-2011 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 04:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,621,618 times
Quote:
Bloomberg, not a chance. Bloomberg doesn't even know what he is; Democrat, Republican, independent, whatever suits him on a given day. If Romney got the nomination (which is very unlikely) he will go with a moderate to conservative Republican, not a Bloomberg (I don't know what I am) guy.

And Katspur, don't worry, Sarah would not come close to being his choice and I doubt she would take it if asked by him.

Nita

Old 01-17-2011, 04:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,621,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Well, I went by what the poster wrote, not what you think the poster might have meant.

And as I've pointed out:
*most of the route to the primaries does not lie through the South, and
*the GOP awards its delegates proportionally, so a second-place finish in many Southern states will do just fine for Romney

It's simply not the problem you desperately want it to be.
Why in the HELL do you think I want it to be a problem? I am just repeating what I hear from within the party especially in the south.

You are right, I am just saying what I think the poster meant and you should respond to what was actually said.

As for awarding the delegates proportionally, that totally depends on the state.

Nita

Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,368,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Mitt Romney, runner-up (more or less; Mike Huckabee also has a claim to that position) to John McCain in the 2008 Republican primaries, has resigned from the board of directors of the Marriott hotel chain. This appears to be part of the process of 'clearing his plate' before another Presidential bid. It is worth noting that he previously served on the board before resigning to run for Governor of Massachusetts.
Romney resigns from Marriott board – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Some will claim that Mitt "I like mandates!" Romney can't win the GOP nomination due to the health care reform in Massachusetts that he championed and enacted as Governor. But then, four years ago many claimed that McCain couldn't win the 2008 GOP nomination because he had called the religious right "agents of intolerance", he had opposed the Bush tax cuts, he had waffled on Roe v. Wade, and so forth. Yet McCain did win the nomination without too much difficulty after disavowing those positions.

We will see how Romney fares.
The sad part about Romney is that he is pompous enough to think he is presidential material. He has no more business running for president than Charles Manson. Even John McSame was preferred over him in '08. He also doesn't stand a chance against this great president.

It's as if someone convinced him (or he convinced himself) that he LOOKS like a president, so he should be one. What a fool.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:04 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,704,191 times
Quote:
I just hope he's smart enough not to pick Sarah Palin! Personally, I don't think he'll get far enough to have to worry about picking a runningmate. Huckabee's attitude towards Mormons is just so typical of the average fundamentalist Christian. I can't imagine Romney ever being able to get past that one hurdle.

By the way, I don't know to what degree, if any, things have changed in the past two to three years, but in a 2008 national public opinion poll, 27% of all respondants said they believe that if Mormons had enough political power, they would try to force people to convert to Mormonism. Even more unbelievable (at least to me) was that 47% believe that Mormons can be as fanatical as Muslims. Of course, that's a real slur against Muslims, too. I don't know if these people are thinking of Muslims in some of the Arab countries or of U.S. Muslims, but how many people would vote for someone they saw in that light? Seriously, as a Mormon, I think that there is just a ton of misinformation out there about what Mormons actually believe. For the most part, I think we can thank the right-wing Evangelical Christians for that.
Not a chance! She's one of the askeered of LDS people! She probably thinks that Big Love is real.

He'd pick a socially centered republican, if there was one. The only reason I mentioned Bloomberg is because of the business connection. But overall, Mitt Romney is too liberal for the Grover Norquists of the world.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,984,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Why in the HELL do you think I want it to be a problem? I am just repeating what I hear from within the party especially in the south.

You are right, I am just saying what I think the poster meant and you should respond to what was actually said.

As for awarding the delegates proportionally, that totally depends on the state.

Nita
The states that don't award delegates proportionally, after IA, NH, NV and SC) cannot hold their primaries/caucuses before April 1. States that do award them proportionally can hold them in March. So barring very unusual circumstances (such as the neck-and-neck Democratic contest in 2008) the states that don't award them proportionally won't matter - they'll just be rubber-stamping the inevitable winner.

What you hear within the party...

Unless you're Karl Rove, that's meaningless. Believe it or not, the GOP selects it's nominees in a very clear historical pattern. And that pattern is not based on the whispers of the very, very small circle of people you're hearing. You should have enough sense to know that your personal anecdotes represent an inevitably skewed sampling of the nationwide pool of GOP primary/caucus voters.

But I've heard it before from people who absolutely assured me that John McCain couldn't win the 2008 nomination. They knew. Because they were hearing things...

And it's pretty obvious that you don't want Romney or Huckabee to win the nomination. I get that. But there really isn't a correlation between what you want and what is likely to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections