Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:55 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times

Advertisements

I hate Sen. Clinton with a passion. It is ironic, though, that I am the only one arguing for her million dollar earmark for Woodstock museum on the next thread. If you don't want earmarks, and you don't want to redistribute anything. Well....what is she to supposed to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfirefighter1977 View Post
I'll tell you what she has done for sure !!!! she has helped kill a small town. IN Massena they lost GM to mexico where was she when the working man needed her ???? GM,s excuse was it was to expensive to maintain a aging plant some 1000 workers are out of work and thats not counting the dominoe affect it will have on other buisnesses in the area.So when she if she becomes president what other industries will leave the US because of aging plants i have nothing for this women she will ruin the country or whats left of it
...and Toyota decides to build its new plants in right-to-work states. The progressive nature of the Northeast and New York state put it at a distinct economic disadvantage in comparison to low-tax and right-to-work states. That isn't her fault, it is a lack of coherency and competency on the federal level as a whole. It is ironic that the blue states take economic and tax hits to support the growth and economic boom in red states. Everything that the states of Arizona and Texas have were won on the backs of New York and Michigan. In Minnesota, we get 70 cents for every dollar we pay in federal taxes. New Mexico gets three dollars. It is federal communism. If new Mexico only got a dollar to dollar rate for taxes paid, it would revert to desert. That isn't Sen. Clinton's fault, it is the culmination of 50 years worth of laws unfavorable to progressive states. If those blue states elected conservative officials, there would be no top to support the bottom. New Mexico should thank God for every day that Sen. clinton is in office. To get even the smallest thing for New York, she has to basically let it permeate through sun-belt states.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Dow 14,000. Hot economy. I like George Bush's tax cuts...I hope the Dems don't kill them.
I suppose the economy IS hot for those fortunate enough to be able to invest on Wall Street. I have a feeling that the housing crash affects a few more people. The few thosand that most people got is easily mitigated by the millions that a few got.

Falling value of the dollar
Rising price of gold
Failing housing market
Wall Street
Main Street
"Which one of these things is not like the other ones"

Old 10-28-2007, 05:59 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,256 times
Quote:
Dow 14,000. Hot economy. I like George Bush's tax cuts...I hope the Dems don't kill them.
Here is roughly what the numbers (in Table T07-0300) show:
Quote:
* The bottom three-fourths of households, those making less than $75,000 a year, are not much affected. They each would receive a tax cut of about $100 per year.
* The next 24 percent, those making between $75,000 and $500,000, would receive much more substantial tax cuts. Those in the $200,000 to $500,000 range, who are in the 96 to 99 percentile of the income distribution, would get a tax cut of about $3,600 per year.
* The top 1 percent, those making over $500,000, would pay substantially more in taxes. Those making more than $1 million would see their tax bill rise by an average of more than $100,000.

Thus, as a first approximation, the plan increases the progressivity of the tax code by redistributing income from the very rich (e.g., CEOs, hedge fund managers, superstar athletes and actors) to the upper middle class (e.g., doctors, lawyers, congressmen)
The above link provides further linkage to the Tax Policy Center

Laying the bricks for the new Hillary HiWay

Old 10-28-2007, 06:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Years ago when Hilary Clinton was running for U.S. senator for the state of New York all we heard from her was she was coming to rescue upstate New York. She was going to bring new industries and jobs to the region. What happened? New York cities are loosing even more people because a great number of jobs are being relocated out side the state. Why did people vote her in a second time? New she wants to run for president? She is ineffectual as a senator, someone tell me why she would be good president? She does not have my vote. All talk and all blind self ambition.
when the democrats do this stuff it hurts.
its so simple to win. get a democrat that acts and talks like a republican have him get laringitus until after the election.
beating george bush is not hard, people dont like him.
its my party ill cry if i want to cry if i want to cry if i want to you'd cry too if it happened to you.
(sing it)
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-28-2007, 07:30 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
People in NY state are morons. She was elected the first time and did absolutely nothing to help NY state. For some reason that is beyond me, she was elected a second term and has not done anything for the state. Where are those 200,000 jobs she promised?
When she was elected for her first term I told everybody that she was just using this as a stepping stone to get to the white house.
That is why she put up with ole Bill

Old 10-28-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
The Clintons used NY.

NY provided Hillary an incubation period. It kept her in the public spotlight, kept her fundraising machine going. I suspect most NY'ers knew that and made their peace with the idea. They knew she wouldn't be around two terms.

But I also think anyone who voted for her expected her to be somewhat more effective as a senator for NY. Hillary said what she had to say to get the vote...then concentrated all her energies on Washington DC. When the natives got restless, Bill would come along and soothe everything over. But what did she accomplish for NY?
I believe you are right!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
She made a promise and gave us her word! Let every one know that Hilary Clinton’s word is worthless her smile is meant to fool us. Snatch back your minds zombies! Snatch them back and hold them!
Well put! Love the zombie thing!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:36 PM

160 posts, read 564,607 times
Default Some good things

I don't support Hillary in the primary, and I think she's too corporate, and I've only lived upstate a couple of years, but there are some things she's done for my area:
1) Been instrumental along with Sen. Schumer in redeveloping the Plattsburgh Int'l Airport, and in facilitiating a tentative agreement with a Canadian airplane-reconditioning company that may end up bringing hundreds of jobs.
2) Fought new passport rules that would make it much harder for people to cross the border in an area dependent on cross-border trade, tourism and shopping. She and Schumer have helped delay implementation of a bad idea, and may get it killed altogether. Rep. McHugh has helped in this, too.
3) Fought a dangerous, ridiculously located "border" checkpoint 70 miles from the border on I-87 that's likely to create massive traffic accidents. Again, she's helped stop a bad idea.
You can't really blame the current round of plant closings on her. We all brought that about when we allowed earlier Congresses to pass laws making it easy to outsource jobs to countries with no environmental or labor protection, and we keep bringing it about every time we buy Chinese-made goods at Wal-Mart.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:38 PM

110 posts, read 496,424 times
There has been a republican in the white house for the past 8yrs and so it is a no brainer that this election will put a democrate in The question is will the party actually have Hillary on the ticket and this will only happen if they truly feel that she could win the election Which is the next big question: A woman president Don't be surprised if either Edwards or someone out of the blue winds up being the democratic runner They need to win this election But in my opinion the president is just a figure head and it is what party holds the majority in the house and senate who truly run the country People should pay more attention to who they vote for as senate etc There should be changes in that part of the goverment as to the length of time etc typed very fast if anything mispelled, I am sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections