Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 11:59 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,252,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I will speculate - Ron Paul will not win one single state primary.
That is a cogent assessment of the volume and perfusion of corruption in this disgusting American culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:01 PM

839 posts, read 2,409,104 times
Though I disagree with Dr. Paul on some issues, I'd still prefer to see him in the White House than anyone else the Republicans or Democrats have come up with.

The problem that he will have is that his message is somewhat different than the status quo. Rather than being refreshing to the voters, I think this places him in the camp of "fringe"... As such, people will be more likely to vote for the devil they know rather than the devil they don't know.

P.S. I really hope I'm wrong on this......

Old 04-28-2011, 12:04 PM

31,285 posts, read 20,618,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Does anyone care to speculate on the true odds that Ron Paul can win the presidency?

Regardless, Ron will get my vote, I'm reading all his books, he's consistent, he does what he says he'll do, and he's against the few elite families, banks, and corporations running this nation and burying the middle and lower class to a lifetime of debt. I'm just curious as to what others believe will actually happen.

He has no chance. The Libertarian philosophy does not appeal to those who love our nanny state and that's the majority of voters.

Obama and his clones promise to take care of all the losers (remember the "he's going to make my house payment" video?), so they will vote for him or anyone like him.

But, he has my vote.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:07 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,143,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Though I disagree with Dr. Paul on some issues, I'd still prefer to see him in the White House than anyone else the Republicans or Democrats have come up with.

The problem that he will have is that his message is somewhat different than the status quo. Rather than being refreshing to the voters, I think this places him in the camp of "fringe"... As such, people will be more likely to vote for the devil they know rather than the devil they don't know.

P.S. I really hope I'm wrong on this......
I totally agree. I feel the media plays a huge role in elections, and just as they ousted Obama with pre-election polls and predictions of Obama's landslide win (they do this every election by the way, always in favor of the democratic candidate).

The opposite will happen for Paul, the media will lable him "radical" or "crazy" or "unconventional" or "extremist" thus causing a huge blow to his image and campaign.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,922,758 times
Quote:
I totally agree. I feel the media plays a huge role in elections, and just as they ousted Obama with pre-election polls and predictions of Obama's landslide win (they do this every election by the way, always in favor of the democratic candidate).

The opposite will happen for Paul, the media will lable him "radical" or "crazy" or "unconventional" or "extremist" thus causing a huge blow to his image and campaign.

Seems to me that ANYONE who is logical is labeled "crazy," "unconventional" or "extremist!" It's too bad the sheeple buy into everything that the media tells us these days. BAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2011, 12:55 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,143,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Seems to me that ANYONE who is logical is labeled "crazy," "unconventional" or "extremist!" It's too bad the sheeple buy into everything that the media tells us these days. BAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!
I know you didn't use this word, but many people in political arguments, even people who support the same candidate as me, are claiming the american people to be "stupid".

I don't believe they are stupid, I think people are just asleep. For too long they've seen the benefits of living in a great economy, but now that the long run has caught up to them, they're pinned battling against unemployment, overworked in their careers, high costs of living, defaulting on their mortgages, high credit card debt, bankruptcy, etc.

It's the very reason I feel Ron Paul is gaining popularity....the american people are waking up.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:56 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,794,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
He has no chance. The Libertarian philosophy does not appeal to those who love our nanny state and that's the majority of voters.

Obama and his clones promise to take care of all the losers (remember the "he's going to make my house payment" video?), so they will vote for him or anyone like him.

But, he has my vote.
I would say that 80+% of Americans love the Nanny State. Whether that's ObamaCare, Medicaid, other Welfare programs, Medicare or Social Security.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:59 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,922,758 times
Quote:
I know you didn't use this word, but many people in political arguments, even people who support the same candidate as me, are claiming the american people to be "stupid".

I don't believe they are stupid, I think people are just asleep. For too long they've seen the benefits of living in a great economy, but now that the long run has caught up to them, they're pinned battling against unemployment, overworked in their careers, high costs of living, defaulting on their mortgages, high credit card debt, bankruptcy, etc.

It's the very reason I feel Ron Paul is gaining popularity....the american people are waking up.

God I hope so! And I agree with everything that you have posted. I truly hope the man has a viable chance.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,161,580 times
Next to zero but we need him to be the candidate because we need someone to expose the system on a national scale. Once more people wake up the ideas of liberty will grow.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:12 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,659,238 times
At time of the debates and elections Ron Paul's ideas will be current events and well predicted in 2008 by himself. If he points back to 2008 often showing he knew it then and wasn't crazy he legitimately makes himself viable options for republicans, independents and even some democrats.

Ron Paul needs to sell liberty on social and economic issues and get the government limited in its power. Contunie to push for the audit of the FED but don't use the FED as the scapegoat point to congress and its mismanagement of the treasury department and lack of transparency of the FED.
On WAR he needs to say he wants to defend our nation and the common defense of our nation. Without the money we can not continue on this course and prevent serious threats from dangerous nations not just terrorists at home. Get out of the other nations and close some bases rebuild at home. He needs to sell an PRO AMERICA foreign policy with strength at home, rebuilding and defending our borders. Talk about bringing our troops home to reunite families, make new missions of hope and patriots in the miltiary are needed most to defend our freedom at HOME against the threat of an intrusive government.

He does that and he wins!

Offer a fair tax system and or a FEDERAL sales tax to elimate the personal income tax and give new generations of AMericans the liberty to opt out of the Social Security but currrent obligations will be met to those dependent on the system. Ron Paul needs to prove he is a strong never changing on his position when it comes to defending liberty. We need a leader who defends our liberty not someone who is more interested in caving to special interests and political games.
Ron Paul is that leader, leading us to liberty and defending it from congress and or any other part of government who trys to destory it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections