Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:10 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Do you know how many people (total audience) watched the CNN/YouTube Democrat debate?

What do you think about that number? It's in the range of all of the other debates so far for the presidential election 2008 but is 2 million anything good for a presidential debate? Shouldn't more people care or is it still too early to jazz people into paying attention?

It seems to me that the people who are watching the debates (from the ratings numbers for all of the debates so far) are the same people who watch cable news. They just go to the channel that's hosting the debates. I mean, if you add up all of the ratings for the 3 cable news channels on a regular night at 7PM, isn't it in the neighborhood of 2.6 million?

Point being, aren't all of these debates just preaching to the choir (people like those of us in this forum who are already on top of what's going on politically)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 09:25 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
I don't think they drew much of an audience, and you are right about the number of average viewers. I think most people realized the debate is very early and not that important considering there are many more to come.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:00 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,944 times
Way too early still. Wake me when 2008 hits in the calendar year. Besides, I think you nailed it well when you said these debates are just preaching to the choir. I heard about the "You Tube" angle and the fact that no questions were posed that addressed illegal immigration. This sort of platform caters to nothing other than the dopes who gauge their voting decisions on nice sounding 10-second soundbytes IMHO.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:29 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,299 times
The democratic debates seemed like live theater to me. The audience was laughing at many of the questions like none of the debate seemed that important. There were entirely too many candidates speaking. I hope the field narrows down to a few so we can all focus of the really important issues facing us. Everyone talks about the "liberal" media. I am now convinced that CNN has it in for the democrats anyway with the "highlight" of the show a black minister from NC expressing his concern about gay rights. Come on, who in the South gives a **** about gay rights? Southerners would not all be voting republican if Pastor Karl Rove hadn't convinced them voting for a democrat would be a vote for Gays or even worse Hilary Clinton.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:55 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Clinton and Obama look like sale people to me. It is said that the eyes are the windows to your soul. Look at their eyes very carefully when they talk. Those eyes give them away every time.

Last edited by davidt1; 07-25-2007 at 11:37 PM..

Old 07-26-2007, 09:40 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Everyone talks about the "liberal" media. I am now convinced that CNN has it in for the democrats anyway with the "highlight" of the show a black minister from NC expressing his concern about gay rights. Come on, who in the South gives a **** about gay rights? Southerners would not all be voting republican if Pastor Karl Rove hadn't convinced them voting for a democrat would be a vote for Gays or even worse Hilary Clinton.

As much as I harp about the liberal media, I think some instances it is mistaken for the fact that it is just plain dopey and shallow reporting. That is my issue with CNN, not its supposed "liberal biss". From the sounds of what I have heard recapped from the debate, it sounds like alot more of the same.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:45 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
who in the South gives a **** about gay rights? Southerners would not all be voting republican if Pastor Karl Rove hadn't convinced them voting for a democrat would be a vote for Gays or even worse Hilary Clinton.
I've lived in the south all my life, and while its not the majority, there are plenty of people who do care about gay rights. And the question is very fitting since that is an issue that Dems would pander to in order to gain votes. Just like Republicans pander to anti-abortion groups for votes (like Guiliani and Romney are scrambling to do now to cover their past actions).

Old 07-26-2007, 10:24 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Clinton and Obama look like sale people to me. It is said that the eyes are the windows to your soul. Look at their eyes very carefully when they talk. Those eyes give them away every time.
I tried that with Bush and all I saw was "gone fishin"

~T

Old 07-26-2007, 10:57 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,601 times
I watched it off and on but it was pretty much and dog and pony show. Key issues were not questioned. I loved the video that should have delt with gun rights. The liberal biased CNN picked the most radical video they could find....a guy calling his assult rifle his baby. Bias.....bias....bias. That is why mostly the far left watches the Democratic debates. Gays and guns.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:27 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
girl, no matter how often you lie, it won't make the Conservative News Network liberal. Actually it was reason why they showed the wingnut and his "baby." To put the candidates on the spot. But Biden called it for what it is.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections