Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Are we all missing the point? We talk about strong no nonsense leaders. Tough on crime. Solid foreign policy. Solid fiscal policy. Etc. But are any of them capable of managing or even changing the catering to corporate America and special interests in general? IMO, this is where our real challenge lies. This is where sub prime mortgages and housing bubbles send massive ripples therough the market and economy in general. This may be where inflationary effects and bailouts are orchestrated and initiated. If Goldman Sachs truly was the biggest campaign contributor To Dubya and Obama then maybe it really isn't about the GOP or the Democrats. Whose money / interests are really being attended to?
Read Paul Krugman for starters. Haven't you heard? This is the new Gilded Age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 01:49 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That was okay when Bush II did it.

Remember how the oil was supposed to "pay for" the Iraq War, not the taxpayers of the US?

I am not a "birther" BUT what if they are right? What if he really wasn't born on US soil? Obama and his mother lived in Indonesia when he was a kid. Who knows? Why won't he be transparent about it?
Well yes the Iraqi oil was suppose to paay for the Iraq war, and that was a bunch of bs from the start. We would create a much bigger quagmire than already exists n the region if we simply tried to take the oikl. Not to mention how exactly would it work logistically, we don't have national oil companies, we don't have national drilling companies, etc. It just literally makes no sense.

As far as him "not being transparent" I would say releasing to the public a state certified birth certificate that has been verified by Hawaii, that meets all U.S requirements is just about as transparent as anyone could possibly get.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:53 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
That's what I don't understand.
HE ALREADY DID THREE YEARS AGO.

FactCheck.org: Born in the U.S.A.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:05 AM

19 posts, read 52,033 times
Default Would I vote for Trump?

There is no way God's green earth that I would ever vote for this lunatic! He is just like Mitt Romney-he changes his positions for political expediancy! He used to be pro-choice, single payer healthcare system and believed that the very rich should be taxed more. Not anymore! He is trying to pander to the extreme right which controls the Republican Party now. He is making a huge mistake with the birther issue and whether or not Obama was born in the US or not. That is so stupid for him to get involved in! There are no Republicans running for President that are in the mainstream and that could debate Obama next year. This is the weakest field of candidates I've seen for at least 20 years. Trump and the rest of the pack only care about making sure that the very rich continue to get their tax cuts and to hell with the rest of the country! Why is it when Republicans take control of the country that they always screw things up royally! They gave us Watergate, Nixon and Reagon who gave us reckless spending and deficits. Then you had the government shut down in 1995 caused by Newt Gengrich and the GOP and of course, the worst criminal of all-GEORGE BUSH & CHANEY!!! We had, thanks to BIll Clinton, record surpluses and a shrinking national debt and respect worldwide!!! 8 years of Bush and we got massive deficts and the worst recession since the 1930's!!! Thank God for Obama and the Democrats who have always stood up for the middle class and union rights!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauledward View Post
There is no way God's green earth that I would ever vote for this lunatic! He is just like Mitt Romney-he changes his positions for political expediancy! He used to be pro-choice, single payer healthcare system and believed that the very rich should be taxed more. Not anymore! He is trying to pander to the extreme right which controls the Republican Party now. He is making a huge mistake with the birther issue and whether or not Obama was born in the US or not. That is so stupid for him to get involved in! There are no Republicans running for President that are in the mainstream and that could debate Obama next year. This is the weakest field of candidates I've seen for at least 20 years. Trump and the rest of the pack only care about making sure that the very rich continue to get their tax cuts and to hell with the rest of the country! Why is it when Republicans take control of the country that they always screw things up royally! They gave us Watergate, Nixon and Reagon who gave us reckless spending and deficits. Then you had the government shut down in 1995 caused by Newt Gengrich and the GOP and of course, the worst criminal of all-GEORGE BUSH & CHANEY!!! We had, thanks to BIll Clinton, record surpluses and a shrinking national debt and respect worldwide!!! 8 years of Bush and we got massive deficts and the worst recession since the 1930's!!! Thank God for Obama and the Democrats who have always stood up for the middle class and union rights!
Well it is so good of you to let us know the Democrats have never done anything wrong and did you forget, when the Republicans that you seem to hate were in the White House, almost always the Democrats controlled one or both houses? I guess you think our Pres is a dictator and the rest of the elected rep just sit around and play Bridge or Poker all day..

As for middle class and Unions: give it up, Unions are no longer needed nor do they have much power. In 50 years they will be a word your kids won't even know. There was a time they had value, now they are part of the problem, but at least the numbers are shrinking.

Nita

Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,392 times
keep dreaming, union have always been the balance to the overreach of corporate power. union are more important then ever. Record corporate profits from dozens of companies that didn't pay a dime in income taxes. Do you see a problem with that?

Ask any middle class worker if they think their standard of living has improved since Clinton left office. ask them if they were better off when Bush left office then when Clinton left office. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that would say yes to either question.

Now ask them if they are better off under Obama since Bush left office. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that would say they were better off under Bush's failed policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well it is so good of you to let us know the Democrats have never done anything wrong and did you forget, when the Republicans that you seem to hate were in the White House, almost always the Democrats controlled one or both houses? I guess you think our Pres is a dictator and the rest of the elected rep just sit around and play Bridge or Poker all day..

As for middle class and Unions: give it up, Unions are no longer needed nor do they have much power. In 50 years they will be a word your kids won't even know. There was a time they had value, now they are part of the problem, but at least the numbers are shrinking.

Nita

Old 04-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
HE ALREADY DID THREE YEARS AGO.
THANK YOU!!!

I can't believe PEOPLE are still GOING ON about this issue!

Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauledward View Post
There is no way God's green earth that I would ever vote for this lunatic! He is just like Mitt Romney-he changes his positions for political expediancy! He used to be pro-choice, single payer healthcare system and believed that the very rich should be taxed more. Not anymore! He is trying to pander to the extreme right which controls the Republican Party now. He is making a huge mistake with the birther issue and whether or not Obama was born in the US or not. That is so stupid for him to get involved in!
Doesn't look good if that is what Trump is about. Oh well. Why can't we get someone DECENT who cares about the middle class?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita
Agree 100%, no way will our Chinese labor force ever be unionized.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,721,771 times
Quote:
Read Paul Krugman for starters. Haven't you heard? This is the new Gilded Age.
And gold is the reason for the wars we wage? I have sensed for the longest time that we are kept relatively in the dark on the inner workings of our government and whose interests are being served.

Thanks for the reading tip. I haven't honed in on any one particular writer. Just lots of periodicals on the subjects of wealth concentration and the supposed budgets behind the budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections