Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
the tea party vote could be divided,several candidates want their vote.A moderate candidate can win easily.
I think you might be on to something. A lot depends on who actually will be running. Things are shaping up, let's give it about 2 more months, by late June the serious contenders will make themselves known.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Pawlenty has gone off the deep end with the Evangelical this and Evangelical that and bringing back DADT.

McCain had huge name recognition to begin with. If you appeal to the base you can probably get away with not having much name recognition, and being able to build from the base, it becomes much harder when you are a moderate without the name recognition. To top that off McCain lurched quite a bit to the right in 07 & 08. His 08 campaign was MUCH further right than his 2000 campaign.
i don't think I would say he has gone off the deep end, I think more like he has jumped over the fence into the right hand court.

My feeling is Romney will not get the nod, for a lot of reasons, but I don't think we should automatically think the bid will go to a right wing tea partier. I think, what the GOP and the country wants is someone to run that is not the same ole, same ole. Romney is a has been in my opinion. He should have had the nomination last time around (no, I don't support him) but I do think he would have been a better choice. Now, I think it is too late. We will see.

Nita

Old 04-20-2011, 09:23 AM

27,996 posts, read 29,823,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
That didn't mean he supports Obama's ideas, but he's honest, he says what he thinks.
He was actually serving as Utah's Governor when Obama asked Him to be the Ambassador to China. I think that, as a Republican, it sort of surprised him. I can't remember exactly when he said when he accepted that appointment, but it was something to do with it being very difficult to say "no" when your Commander in Chief" asks you to do something like that. I actually like him very much, but then my political philosophy is very much in line with him. I consider myself to be pretty moderate politically. Jon Huntsman is a practicing Latter-day Saint but definitely more liberal than the average Latter-day Saint. I honestly think he would make an excellent President -- even if he did work for Obama.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 AM

3,408 posts, read 4,450,695 times
Huntsman has the potential to be the GOP's 2012 "Obama." What's funny is that most people will think the association with Obama is an insult. Huntsman is the type of GOPer that I could vote for.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 04-20-2011 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,254,665 times
*YAWN*

Jon Hunstman doesn't make the social/religious conservatives' loins quiver, so he will go nowhere.

He's also a Mormon. Strike two.

I'm also a liberal who happens to like Jon Hunstman. Strike three.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:23 AM

27,996 posts, read 29,823,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
He's also a Mormon. Strike two.
Can someone please tell me why this matters? I'm obviously kind of dense here, because it really seems to be a huge deal with people. I'm just trying to understand.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:25 AM

3,408 posts, read 4,450,695 times
It's not a huge deal to any rational person.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:33 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,254,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Can someone please tell me why this matters? I'm obviously kind of dense here, because it really seems to be a huge deal with people. I'm just trying to understand.

You'll have to ask a conservative Christian that.

Since I am an agnostic atheist, I agree, the religion a person just so happens to be born into is largely irrelevant.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:55 PM

22,156 posts, read 19,397,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i don't think I would say he has gone off the deep end, I think more like he has jumped over the fence into the right hand court.

My feeling is Romney will not get the nod, for a lot of reasons, but I don't think we should automatically think the bid will go to a right wing tea partier. I think, what the GOP and the country wants is someone to run that is not the same ole, same ole. Romney is a has been in my opinion. He should have had the nomination last time around (no, I don't support him) but I do think he would have been a better choice. Now, I think it is too late. We will see.

Nita
When you go from being a generally moderate Governor to wearing your Evangelicalism on your sleeves and start harping on bringing back DADT you have gone off the deep end.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 PM

22,156 posts, read 19,397,646 times
I just don't see how Huntsman gets past a Primary. The tea party crowd would go apes***.

He is a supporter of Civil Unions, he is a supporter of climate changed legislation, signed onto a regional style cap and trade legislation (was the only GOP governor in the west other than Arnold to do so), he was a strong backer of the Stimulus package. Unless he decided to flip flop all over himself in attempt to shed the moderate label the way Romney did in 08 & the way Pawlenty is doing now, he is going to have a tough time appealing to the base (and of course if he does that he gets accused of being a flip flopper).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections