Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 AM

515 posts, read 368,179 times

Advertisements

Mitt Romney is the only Republican candidate leading President Obama in New Hampshire, according to a new poll from Dartmouth University’s Nelson A. Rockefeller Center.
Continue Reading
In the center’s fourth “State of the State” survey, Romney tops Obama in a general election match-up by 8 points, 47 percent to 39 percent.

Mitt Romney tops weak Barack Obama in New Hampshire, poll shows - Alexander Burns - POLITICO.com

Apparently Romney is liked in NE states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 07:12 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
I am not surprised. Romney has plenty of name recognition in NH (and New England in general). Plus, he is the type of moderate Republican (and yes he is "moderate" by the standards set by today's Republican field) that can win a good amount of votes in states like NH, MA, and even NY. No, that doesn't mean he can win all of those states, but he has far more appeal there than someone like Pawlenty.

The problem will be the primaries for Romney. I have no doubt that in a general election, even the solid Republican South will vote for him over Obama. But when the choice between Romney, Pawlenty, and other more "conservative" candidates, Southern Republicans will leave Romney behind. There needs to be a message that none of the candidates embody everything a conservative wants. It's impossible. All candidates have some baggage with them.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I am not surprised. Romney has plenty of name recognition in NH (and New England in general). Plus, he is the type of moderate Republican (and yes he is "moderate" by the standards set by today's Republican field) that can win a good amount of votes in states like NH, MA, and even NY. No, that doesn't mean he can win all of those states, but he has far more appeal there than someone like Pawlenty.

The problem will be the primaries for Romney. I have no doubt that in a general election, even the solid Republican South will vote for him over Obama. But when the choice between Romney, Pawlenty, and other more "conservative" candidates, Southern Republicans will leave Romney behind. There needs to be a message that none of the candidates embody everything a conservative wants. It's impossible. All candidates have some baggage with them.
I am surprised anyone would be leading Obama, you mention name recognition, don't you think Obama has it as well?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:33 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
^Yes of course Obama does, and that has been one of my main points about people quoting national polls about Obama beating any Republican candidate. The problem is, in the Obama vs. Generic Republican polls, though he leads, Obama cannot eclipse 50% (in fact, in some polls, he is under 45%). That is a major problem for an incumbent President. That says that a majority of Americans are searching for a viable alternative to Obama for President. Otherwise, if Americans were happy with Obama, he would be winning those polls with > 50% numbers.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,339 times
If Romney can survive the primary(which I kind of doubt) he would give Obama a lot of trouble. Michigan is another state he could turn red.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
If Romney can survive the primary(which I kind of doubt) he would give Obama a lot of trouble. Michigan is another state he could turn red.
I don't think he is going to even come in second in the primary race but who knows? This time next year we will know for sure.

NIta

Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
You'll find the same weakness in other battleground states.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Obama is in deep trouble with a number of good candidates.

If the GOP nominates a person who has been successful, has charisma, is well liked, is a leader, strong values, loves America etc. and will not take crap from anyone including the hateful jealous attacks of the liberals and their sole mates the media, then Obama is toast.

If they run out anyone weak it could be a close race.

A good candidate and it will be the end of the road for Obama and the end of liberals running things in America for a long, long time.

Think about it.

The GOP has many rising stars waiting in the wings.

Dems have NONE. They put all their money on the wrong person who turned out to be a massive failure.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:38 AM

515 posts, read 368,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Without RomneyCare he'd win in a landslide But now I've some doubts.
Trump is here now, Jon Huntsman arrived and Mitch Daniels could arrive too (I hope, he's the smartest and moderate of the crew )

Old 04-23-2011, 02:56 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,256,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Obama is in deep trouble with a number of good candidates.

If the GOP nominates a person who has been successful, has charisma, is well liked, is a leader, strong values,

Unfortunately, no one in the current crop of potential GOP candidates matches this criteria you've just outlined.

Actually, I take that back, there are 2 Republicans who perhaps measure up to what you've outlined above: Jon Hunstman and Mitch Daniels. Unfortuntalety, they will go nowhere in the GOP primaries since the GOP primaries are dominated by evangelicals, teabaggers, conspiracy theorists, religious fundies, and birthers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections