Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:35 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that might be true, and I am not pro or anti pot,
yep, pro liberty is what matters

Quote:
but I am not sure the money we would make would be as astronomical as you might think.

Nita
There's a ton of money and lost time individuals pour into the system when it comes to drug offenses. Forced rehab is just one aspect.

How does one put a value on the individuals and their families ruined by our drug laws? Mainly are poor, inner city minorities who have the deck stacked against them from the get go. I think that's what people miss out on as the important thing since the money aspect catches the attention.

How can we expect people to better themselves when they are continually knocked back down by the ones "who know how to run their lives for them"? No ones rights have been abused. The government does not own your body. Liberty is for everyone, not just for non pot smokers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 11:51 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
That is a thought: it would not have been years ago, but yes, it might work better. Our son, who has had a bad marriage and is now in an 8 year relationship with a 7 year old son, does not want to marry again. What happens to his "other 1/2" if he were to die or whatever. She would be Sh## out of luck. She would eventually collect on his SS if nothing else. he has paid into it for 30 yeas.

So get over the religious part, let churches do what they want, but don't say "marriage rights" for gays should be law.

Nita
Another reason to allow opting out of SS. Who is the government to decide what constitutes marriage in order to give back money?
People should plan on their own. In your example, the SS money stolen by government could be used to purchase a life insurance policy instead.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Another reason to allow opting out of SS. Who is the government to decide what constitutes marriage in order to give back money?
People should plan on their own. In your example, the SS money stolen by government could be used to purchase a life insurance policy instead.
I do not disagree with you on the SS points, though it will never happen. If nothing else everyone should have a choice to put part of their SS into private investments, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

On paper, yes, it appears a heck of a lot of money would be saved, legalizing pot, but what appears on paper never seems to really work.

NIta

Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
I'll vote for a Repub that really want change. Not an Idiot that want to get rid of Medicare> Make seniors pay more for their medical issues so that we can give Rich people a Tax Break.

That is crazy.
huh, what are you talking about? You want change, what kind of change do you want?

Nita

Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
I do not disagree with you on the SS points, though it will never happen. If nothing else everyone should have a choice to put part of their SS into private investments, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

On paper, yes, it appears a heck of a lot of money would be saved, legalizing pot, but what appears on paper never seems to really work.

NIta
If someone chooses to put their S.S in a private account and we have a market crash like we had in 87 or what we had a couple years ago when people are close to retirement, what happens then?

Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If someone chooses to put their S.S in a private account and we have a market crash like we had in 87 or what we had a couple years ago when people are close to retirement, what happens then?
What happens? think about it this way, of course you are not nearly old enough to understand: if we did have a crash and the individuals had been investing for 40 years, they would still have a sizable amount in their account. We are far from rich, we watched our losses pile up 2 years ago and yet, we now have more than we did prior to the crash. It would only hurt and really hurt if you had to clean everything out immediately which is pretty unlikely. What happens to those with retirements via their company which are solely 401Ks? if the money has been invested for years the profit will make up for any sudden losses. The stock market hit 1000 for the frist time in 1972 (way before you were born I am sure) look at it today? Do the math, if an imdividual only invested a couple hundred $$s per month starting then, what would his port folio be worth today? The holds true for real estate. In 1976 we bought a home in So Cal (just a basic 3 bedroom, 2 bath) in a middle class neighborhood. We paid $43,000 for it. Before the real estate crash it was worth about 750,000 and today is still worth about 450,000. If my math is correct that would be a net profit of over $400,000. The catch, is making sure everyone does do the investing. He/she would be required to invest a certain part of thier wages into the market in some way. If doesn't have to be stock only. if nothing else workers should have the option to invest a part of their SS however they choose. of course this will not happen in the near future because too many workers are too lazy to bother. They would just as soon liet Uncle Sam take care of them.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 05-09-2011 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
What happens? think about it this way, of course you are not nearly old enough to understand: if we did have a crash and the individuals had been investing for 40 years, they would still have a sizable amount in their account. We are far from rich, we watched our losses pile up 2 years ago and yet, we now have more than we did prior to the crash. It would only hurt and really hurt if you had to clean everything out immediately which is pretty unlikely. What happens to those with retirements via their company which are solely 401Ks? if the money has been invested for years the profit will make up for any sudden losses. The stock market hit 1000 for the frist time in 1972 (way before you were born I am sure) look at it today? Do the math, if an imdividual only invested a couple hundred $$s per month starting then, what would his port folio be worth today? The holds true for real estate. In 1976 we bought a home in So Cal (just a basic 3 bedroom, 2 bath) in a middle class neighborhood. We paid $43,000 for it. Before the real estate crash it was worth about 750,000 and today is still worth about 450,000. If my math is correct that would be a net profit of over $400,000. The catch, is making sure everyone does do the investing. He/she would be required to invest a certain part of thier wages into the market in some way. If doesn't have to be stock only. if nothing else workers should have the option to invest a part of their SS however they choose. of course this will not happen in the near future because too many workers are too lazy to bother. They would just as soon liet Uncle Sam take care of them.

Nita
I worked with Mutual Funds/ Hedge Funds, etc so I have a general understanding of the market.

Anyway my point is we shouldn't take the security of of social security, its called social security for a reason. While adjustments will likely need to be made (whether it be changes in age, the income cap level, etc) overhauling the system completely and taking the security out of social security could spell disaster.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I worked with Mutual Funds/ Hedge Funds, etc so I have a general understanding of the market.

Anyway my point is we shouldn't take the security of of social security, its called social security for a reason. While adjustments will likely need to be made (whether it be changes in age, the income cap level, etc) overhauling the system completely and taking the security out of social security could spell disaster.
perhaps not totally eleminate SS but do allow people to make up their own minds as to how and where they want thier money to go, just like 401Ks. When I was still employed by a major complany I would put my 401K money anywhere I wanted it to go and the company matched 50% upto 6%.

I realize we will differ on this: it is called young vesus older I guess and conservtive verus ultra liberal.

NIta

Old 05-09-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
perhaps not totally eleminate SS but do allow people to make up their own minds as to how and where they want thier money to go, just like 401Ks. When I was still employed by a major complany I would put my 401K money anywhere I wanted it to go and the company matched 50% upto 6%.

I realize we will differ on this: it is called young vesus older I guess and conservtive verus ultra liberal.

NIta
401K's are fine (I have one myself and choose where I want to invest it), I also do some stock and option trading (though for now only on a minimal scale).

Investing, making trades, etc is all well and good, but I don't think we should be taking the security out of social security.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, while I disagree with Johnson on many fiscal issues, I do like many of his social views. However, some New York liberal such as myself liking his social views, is the exact reason he has no chance of winning GOP Primary.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:24 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
As long as he votes to repeal obama's agenda, I'll support him.
As long as he DOESN'T vote to repeal President Obama's agenda, I will support him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections