Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:00 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times

Advertisements

Ron Paul is a fool and will never be elected President! The sign in front of my business would say the only color I accept is "GREEN"! What a racist moron!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 03:25 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
Golly, I just love reading the gut reactions to purposefully-skewed headlines. Typical American Political-ADD - don't study, don't read, don't investigate, just jump on the nearest bandwagon and scream!

What Paul has said from the beginning is that government doesn't have the right to tell businesses whom they can serve. If a business posts a sign "No Blacks Allowed" everyone is up in arms - but if that same business posts a sign saying "No smokers allowed" or "No drugs allowed" everyone nods sagely and says, yes, that's ok.

If a business actually does post a sign saying, "No blacks allowed" there will be protestors in the streets, no one will step inside, and the business closes. This is a good and just result of choosing your customers. However, when a business is forced to put up a sign saying, "No smokers allowed" - many businesses, particulary restaurants and bars, lose 60% of their business and are forced to close - because of the government decreed ban. Or they have the ban overturned - but that takes a lot of effort and hard work, with constant sniping by the self-righteous who devoutly believe that government should protect everyone from everything from terrorists to themselves. (Las Vegas actually did have the smoking ban overturned, by the way.Sin City rules sin, make no mistake.)

But howabout this? Let businesses decide for themselves whom they will serve; blacks, whites, smokers, non-smokers, drinkers, non-drinkers, kids, no kids - and let the business rise or fall on its own merits. Or is that too easy, too simple, for the people who demand that government control every facet of their and everyone else's lives?

Some of you should be ashamed at how blatantly and eagerly you expose your lack of knowledge about basic things; like, oh, say, the Constitution and economics, as well as true free markets. But I guess you are totally unaware of not only these silly little things, but even that such purposeful ignorance is indeed shameful.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:03 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
hilgi, I agree it would likely not be a common happening, as it used to be. But, having seen the tail end of such things, I hate to think of the law allowing it again.
The tail end you saw was government helping private industry through laws and law enforcement to make racism legal and supported. No one is calling for laws such as that.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 AM

865 posts, read 676,046 times
It was only common in some places before, because of Jim Crowe laws.

Wow, some of you guys fall for demagoguery easily.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:12 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
So believing in a theoretical possibility based on a consistent belief in individual and property rights is worse than the backing and promoting of the systematic imprisonment of a generation, and the destruction of the inner city?

Makes zero sense to me.
To what are you referring? Your statement is overly vague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Ron Paul neither tolerates or encourages racist behavior. To say so is dishonest. Many times he has spoken out against racism.
Giving a business, particularly those that accommodate the public, the freedom to discriminate based on race, is tolerant of racism. That is not acceptable.

Quote:
It is not the role of government. We've seen from their past history, government is the worst offender of all. Society solves that problem not government.
What is not the role of the government? Enforcing social policy? Why is that? I do believe our constitution actually states repeatedly that it is the in the interest of the federal government to do so, for the welfare of the nation--amongst other things.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:26 AM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Quite frankly, Rick Perry and Michele Bachmann's "States Rights" and "Taking our country back" mantras scare me more as a black person than Ron Paul's concerns over protecting property rights.

I doubt they would try to pass Laws similar to the Jim Crow Laws passed by the Democratic Party before them.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:29 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I doubt they would try to pass Laws similar to the Jim Crow Laws passed by the Democratic Party before them.

OMG, now you're bringing up actual history! Careful, there - you'll destroy peoples' preconceptions and faith-based initiatives!

Nah, never mind - that's their "Inconvenient truth".

Old 10-03-2011, 06:08 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Giving a business, particularly those that accommodate the public, the freedom to discriminate based on race, is tolerant of racism. That is not acceptable.
lol I disagree. It's practicing freedom, freedom of choice, without force. freedom is always acceptable because freedom does not discriminate, every. people will but not freedom.
By your definition I'd think every business accommodates the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
What is not the role of the government? Enforcing social policy? Why is that? I do believe our constitution actually states repeatedly that it is the in the interest of the federal government to do so, for the welfare of the nation--amongst other things.
Enforcing social policy like allowing slaves, like freeing people in order to make them 3/5 equal? Like forcing people into concentration camps because they are of Japanese descent? Tyranny is evil.

General welfare has been discussed many times. Specific, meaning targeting certain people to receive welfare, is different than general welfare. Plus the word welfare has changed. Back in the day, when the constitution was written, it NEVER meant government handouts.

"Judicial verbicide is calculated to convert the Constitution into a worthless scrap of paper and to replace our government of laws with a judicial oligarchy."

"That definition of “welfare” would have been unknown in 1776. Welfare was, in truth, the exact opposite of poor relief. If you have “welfare” today you would be on the government dole. If you had “welfare” in 1787 you had health, wealth and happiness. Such a system of government aid would only have been known as “poor relief” and a law requiring a tax to support “poor relief” would have been called a “poor law.”

“Poor laws” were first enacted in England following the Reformation, and because of the loss of church property the government established the Elizabethan Poor Law of 1601. The Speenhamland System of 1785, continued on with the poor laws. It was a system of out-door relief contrived by the Berkshire Justices of the Peace meeting at Speenhamland. The Elizabethan Poor Laws provided the pattern for the poor laws in the American Colonies, and the original thirteen states.

There were other “poor laws” and poor reliefs of the time. None were ever called “welfare.” Two of them were known as “The Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834,” and the “Formation of Dungarvan Poor Law Union - In 1838” "

“Welfare” is defined in Noah Webster’s original 1828 Dictionary as:
WEL’FARE, noun [well and fare, a good going; German wohlfahrt; Dutch welvaart; Swedish valfart; Danish velfoerd.]
  1. 1. Exemption from misfortune, sickness, calamity or evil; the enjoyment of health and the common blessings of life; prosperity; happiness; applied to persons.
  2. Exemption from any unusual evil or calamity; the enjoyment of peace and prosperity, or the ordinary blessings of society and civil government; applied to states.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:30 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Ron Paul is a fool and will never be elected President! The sign in front of my business would say the only color I accept is "GREEN"! What a racist moron!

....and ignorance breeds fear.

Why are you so scared?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Wow, people just dont listen ...

demagoguery -
the methods, practices, or rhetoric of a demagogue

Demagogue -
a leader who makes use of popular prejudices and false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Paul was just being the same old consistent constitutional republican he has always been. His view has nothing to do with racism ... Wake up people, don't let them play on your emotions and listen to what the man is saying not to what they are telling you he is saying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections