Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 05:11 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,858,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

That said, i mostly agree with you that businesses should be able to do what they want within the law. They'll just lose money if they exclude whole groups of people.

Still though, that's a real dicey proposition.
But it should be up to the business owner to be the idiot.

Vote with your feet and your dollars,don't demand laws to restrict another's freedom,even if it is the freedom to be an A-hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,394 posts, read 15,683,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I don't mean to be a smart arse, but are you being sarcastic?
I was just gonna reply with "reagan" but that works too.

As I said in another thread, Paul is what would have been called "liberal" back in the days.

11,755 posts, read 14,639,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
T The Republicans did kick him out after tehy discovered his past.
Link, please?

Old 05-15-2011, 05:12 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,092,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. This is a public forum. Anyone can respond to any post.

And some take that to the extreme by responding to every post, even those that were specific to other posters.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:13 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,502,591 times
Ron Paul is showing his age. He's pinning for the segregated 50s. He's free to relish the days when blacks had hoses turned on them for eating at a lunch counter or riding on the front of a bus. He's totally free to harbor those feelings and we're totally free to expose his bigotry and hatred. His mouth breathing followers are free to whine and apologize for his ignorant outdated beliefs.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:14 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,198,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Businesses should be allowed to post a sign like this.

Then consumers would know whether or not they would want to do business there.

My guess: Any business that refuses people based on race would not be in business very long. Ron Paul knows this.

We don't need laws like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
It would be a pretty bad business move, though. If Blacks were specifically excluded, white people (or other races) that have a problem with racism would boycott that business. I know I would do that.
It's been more or less scientifically proven that most people don't care about things that don't directly affect them. So I think this confidence in the altruistic benevolence of man is a teensy bit unfounded.

People patronize businesses known for utilizing child labour, buy products that fund vicious wars and authoritarian regimes, even products that are produced with literal slavery. What makes you think our standards are so high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Which led to mass riots, protests and civil unrest, which led to laws being changed. The people changed the government, not the other way around.
That's only somewhat true. A minority of people protested, leading to government action. Most white southerners were either apathetic or for segregation and went total ape**** when the laws were changed, leading the federal government in some cases to have to send the military in to calm them down. Even after that, it took generations after the government forced integration for them to absorb the idea of not being a douche to your fellow man.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
And some take that to the extreme by responding to every post, even those that were specific to other posters.
If I responded to every post, I would have about 10X the posts in this thread alone. I'm sorry, if you want to carry on a private conversation with someone, do it via DM, assuming they'll talk to you that way.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:15 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,504,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I don't mean to be a smart arse, but are you being sarcastic?
Nope.

I didn't say they follow through with that.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:16 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,683,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Ron Paul is showing his age. He's pinning for the segregated 50s. He's free to relish the days when blacks had hoses turned on them for eating at a lunch counter or riding on the front of a bus. He's totally free to harbor those feelings and we're totally free to expose his bigotry and hatred. His mouth breathing followers are free to whine and apologize for his ignorant outdated beliefs.
Typical strawman, ad hominem post.

Where does Paul ever say that? Again, he would also be opposed to Jim Crow laws.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:17 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,092,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post

What a shameful garbage post; and for the record, I'm not even a RP supporter. Shame on you frozen yogurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections