Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 07:43 PM

5,996 posts, read 7,050,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
So you people are telling me that there is no discrimination on the basis of race in the United States?

Way to man up and apologize.

Anyway, to deny that would be to deny lying, pride, infidelity, etc. All of things are the product of a flawed man, and sadly will always be with us as long as we are here on this earth. But, by and large, I would say that racism has been pretty much eradicated from main stream America and I praise God for that. We are far and away the least racist country in the world, and i can say that with confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 07:49 PM

7,160 posts, read 4,714,965 times
I don't know why Maddow (I don't watch her) is bringing this up now.

It is OLD news.

Ron Paul has always held that "property rights" trump "civil rights" every time. It basically translates as "If you have property, you have rights. I you don't have property, then you are a gnat."

This topic has been previously discussed in C-D as well.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,789,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
The rights of the many Trump the wishes of the few, if the rights of the many are morally correct all the better.
You believe in tyranny of the mob then....the same as was involved in institutional segregation.Interesting huh?

Quote:
In your world I would have to walk three miles down the street to get a cold drink instead of around the corner from where I live. Why because dark skin people can't mix with the white people??
Why would you have to do that,do you think everyone is really racist and wanting to discriminate but the law is stopping them?

Quote:
My civil rights are such that if you claim to operate an establishment open to the public it means all citizens not just the ones you deem worthy to be called citizens.
Again,why do you think your rights trump another persons?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,789,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

Ron Paul has always held that "property rights" trump "civil rights" every time. It basically translates as "If you have property, you have rights. I you don't have property, then you are a gnat."
Really,could you post where the second part was stated?

Or are you simply manufacturing statements?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,824,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
The rights of the many Trump the wishes of the few, if the rights of the many are morally correct all the better.
I stopped here because under what part of the constitution, do you have a right to enter someone elses property that doesnt want you to be there and why doesnt this involve violating the owners right of that property?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,181,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Listen; if any store in America was blatantly discriminatory,(with the possible exception of being anti-Christian) there would be such a backlash that it would go outta business immediately. I would venture to guess that very few people are aware of African on African genocide. Why do you need the government to tell you what you already know? I believe in you more than you do.
Yes, people do know about these things. You think that with all the publicity, there are people who don't know about diamond mines or cobalt or chocolate and coffee plantations? You'd have to live under a rock to not know about sweatshops. The point is that when measured against their convenient lives, people generally don't care about people that they've never met. You could scream at them about these things until you're blue in the face, but they wouldn't go so far as to actually inconvenience themselves or alter their lifestyles for the sake of others.

If a business discriminated against an ethnic group and this was common knowledge, enough people would patronize it if it was convenient to do so to keep it afloat.

You've yet to demonstrate that people are as altruistic about these sorts of things as you say they are.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:44 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
^^Agreed. Many businesses are accused of unethical business practices, yet people continue to shop there. Wal Mart and Whole Foods come to mind as two that are hardly hurting for business. Even people who think they're unethical shop there b/c "it's convenient" or "everyone does it" or "I like their stuff and I don't care".

Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,796,393 times
Whole Foods turned me off a while ago. Some eerie feeling there. Weird people or something. I never shop there anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Agreed. Many businesses are accused of unethical business practices, yet people continue to shop there. Wal Mart and Whole Foods come to mind as two that are hardly hurting for business. Even people who think they're unethical shop there b/c "it's convenient" or "everyone does it" or "I like their stuff and I don't care".

Old 05-15-2011, 09:53 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,441,324 times
if you want to be a racist..............that's your right

free country?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,980,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Ummm... Am I the only one who notices that the man in the video that Rachel Maddow is showing and refering to, is RAND PAUL. Not Ron Paul?

Frozenyo, the original thread starter, needs to change the title of this thread to "RAND PAUL Believes Businesses Should Be Allowed To Put Up A 'NO BLACKS' Sign!"

Not Ron Paul.

Did anyone in this thread actually take the time to watch the video and listen to what Rachel Maddow actually said in the video????
The first part of the video goes to Rand Paul and Rachael a year ago, the latter part of the video goes to May 2011 Hardball interview with his father Ron Paul - asking the same questions about supporting 1964 civil rights act. But your right, Ron Paul does not even talk about a no blacks sign in Chris Mathews interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections