Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 01:36 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
And people and society evolved and realized how wrong and hateful these policies were. We now know that racial discrimination is stupid, so why they need to be told that by the government? If any business was so blatantly dumb as to openly discriminate based on race, there would be free and legal protests, boycotts and eventually the business would go out of business (rightfully so) all without government interference. I believe in you more than you do.
No people and society did not evolve at all!!..the idiots who supported Jim Crow, separate but equal, sit at the back of the bus, no admission to college or professional standing in any business, etc were and are still very much in favor of bringing back these practises.

The majority of southern whites and many northern whites resorted to killing, bombings, assault, and intimidation in order to maintain segregation prior to and post the passing of the civil rights act.
White politicians, Sheriffs, Police Chiefs, and Public Defenders routinely undermined the laws that granted equal access to black people.

Only after the federal government became involved and started to prosecute these people for their crimes and passed more stringent laws did things start to change.

They changed due to the enforcement of Federal Law and not the good nature of some white people.

MLK said he was never afraid of southern racist, he knew where they were coming from and could deal with their ignorance. MLK was very afraid of the racism of the North which he considered to be mostly based on blind hate versus ignorance.

There have been recent news articles of people attempting to post "white only" signs on their businesses, the attitude is still there.

Thank God America for the most part don't think like posters on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 01:36 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times
Quote:
I supported their right, but like the vast majority of Americans felt that it was the wrong thing to do, y'know, the ole, "just because you can, doesn't mean that you should" theory. Maybe you have me confused with another poster?
No, I precisely looked it up. You bashed Obama for not being against it. You are either for freedom or against it. You can't have it both ways. Its either the wrong thing to put up racists signs/build a mosque there or its up to the business/private property owners to do so. Supporting these rights does not make Obama or Ron Paul a supporter of racism or radical Islam.
Btw, Ron Paul did not have an issue with the location of the Mosque. When it comes to freedom, he does not let feelings and emotions interfere with his logic.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:38 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
im 50/50 on this.

i dont think you have a right to ban somebody by race, but i understand private property.

my hypothetical is, say no business allowed blacks to do business with them, wouldn't the government need to get involved like they did and mandate that they are required to do business with blacks?

i understand it was the government who instituted the policies. but the government in of itself was racist. it has corrected those errors as the members of the prior racist years have died off.

the same people making the laws back then were the klansmen and private property owners who denied blacks service.

essentially the fix being in from the get go.

No, because we as a society have evolved and now know that it is wrong, hateful and hurtful to discriminate against someone based on the color of their skin. We would rally, protest and boycott this racist bigoted business and it would go out of business. Problem solved, and no government intervention whatsoever.

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy
I'm not rude at all, but for over a year now Meson has been obsessively posting in support of far left American politicians and constantly bashing conservative American politicians, despite the fact to admitting to being Canadian and having no desire to ever live here. He has an unhealthy, stalker like obsession with our politicians, despite the fact that they do not concern him at all. Lemme ask you a question; if you posted in the Canadian forum over 20x's a day, despite not being a Canadian and having no desire to live there, don't you think that after a while the Canadians would wonder what you're doing constantly butting into their business?

Yes, you are very rude. And your post really does exhibit the libertarian mindset. You don't want another opinion just as you don't want the government's intrusion. But to hold it against someone that they are not American is, well, rude. And that exclusion of another person's opinion is what I find so distasteful of libertarianism. It's all about me, me, me and my freedoms and it ignores the freedoms of others to the detriment of all. We don't live in a vacuum. We have to be held accountable to each other. There needs to be a compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
WHY should the government be allowed to do so....

WHY should there be such a law?

WHY can't a private individual choose who they can and cannot cater to as customers?
I am pretty sure it has to do with America's racist history and the Civil Right Movement. You are acting dumb on purpose.
Btw, in Germany (where I live) symbols of Nazism are forbidden. Guess why?

Old 05-15-2011, 01:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Attack; seriously? No need to be a drama mama. If an American was posting over 2 dozen times a day in a specific forum about specific politicians that had no bearing whatsoever on their lives then I would hope that they would be called out on their obsessive stalker like behavior. Me thinks that if Meson were a conservative Canadian constantly bashing liberal American politicians then you would be singing a different tune.
Note the other poster had no problem when Meson called people who believe in property rights a "racist biggot", the problem about attacking another only came up when you said they were Canadian..

Ooooh noooo.. they are Canadian.. The hate

Old 05-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Isn't this an insult too?????

LOL....
Not for him, as he doesn't view such posts as insults.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Pauls position is that it SHOULD be legal to allow whoever you wanted into a property you own, a business you own, and that the federal government has no right to impeed upon your rights by demanding you service people you dont wish to service.
Exactly. And he's correct.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:40 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
No people and society did not eveolve at all!!..the idiots who supported Jim Crow, seperate but equal, sit at the back of the bus, no admission to college or professional standing in any business, etc were and are still very much in favor of bringing back these practises.

The majority of southern whites and many northern whites resorted to killing, bombings, asault, and intimidation in order to maintain segregation prior to and post the passing of the civil rights act.
White politicians, Sheriffs, Police Chiefs, and Public Defenders routiny undermined the laws that granted equal access to black people.

Only after the federal government became involved and started to prosecute these people for their crimes and passed more stringent laws did things start to change.

They changed due to the enforcement of Federal Law and not the good nature of some white people.

MLK said he was never afraid of southern racist, he knew where they were coming from and could deal with their ignorance. MLK was very afraid of the racism of the North which he considered to be mostly based on blind hate versus ignorance.

There have been recent news articles of people attempteing to post "white only" signs on their businesses, the atitulde is still there.

Thank God America for the most part don't think like posters on this board.

UH..........what year do you think this is? I'm an immigrant, in a bi-racial marriage with a bi-racial child and I live in the south. There are several mixed race couples in my church and it is not an issue whatsoever. I feel like I've gone back in time with your post.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:42 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
Quote:
No, because we as a society have evolved and now know that it is wrong, hateful and hurtful to discriminate against someone based on the color of their skin. We would rally, protest and boycott this racist bigoted business and it would go out of business. Problem solved, and no government intervention whatsoever.
thats fine in 2011. but the reason why the civil rights act was enforced was because many businesses were denying service, which was why it was necessary for the government to mandate service.

in 2011, any business that would do that would be out of business shortly.

minority purchasing power has never been more influential then now, and no company is going to be stupid enough to not get a piece for a superficial reason such as skin color.

in the 60's they just were clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections