Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
do you realize, most Americans, especially independants consider themselves conservatives. So you are saying, the Republicans should run someone who is middle of the road, thus giving us not much of a choice as to who we would support. Sounds to me like a sure win for the Democrats which of course they are hoping a moderate or RINO will run.

In 2010 (the latest data avail) 42% consider themselves conservatives: 40% moderates and less than 20% liberal.

Nita
Not a problem.

The GOP has my permission to run a goose-stepping ultraconservtive if they so desire.

They will also lose if they do so. Not a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Reading through this thread, the most feedback has been from people trying to convince themselves and others that Ron Paul is not a joke candidate. He's the quitessential joke candidate imo because there's no way he can win. Let's put that aside for a second though. Who else is a non joke candidate?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:10 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Reading through this thread, the most feedback has been from people trying to convince themselves and others that Ron Paul is not a joke candidate. He's the quitessential joke candidate imo because there's no way he can win. Let's put that aside for a second though. Who else is a non joke candidate?
High School is over, this isn't a football game, at this stage we need to advance an argument that exposes the system.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,315 times
americans also have to think do they want the republicans to have control of all 3 branches. presidency, senate, and house.

the house could stay republican.
the senate could also swing republican with dems defending so many seats.
the prospect of one party controlling all 3 branches is enough for me to vote for obama regardless.

i like split government.

if the republicans end up with all three, a generation of them will be wiped out like the dems were in 10.

i still say dems and repubs are the same for the most part.

every other week one of them switches affiliation.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I hope the Republicans run the most extreme right wing candidates they can find. Ms. Palin and Ms. Bachmann are good examples. I hope they spend absolutely enormous amounts for their corporate sponsors’ money. I hope they LOSE at the highest possible price.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:54 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I hope the Republicans run the most extreme right wing candidates they can find. Ms. Palin and Ms. Bachmann are good examples. I hope they spend absolutely enormous amounts for their corporate sponsors’ money. I hope they LOSE at the highest possible price.
The only people that lose in corporate sponsored candidates is you and I.

If you do some googling, you'll find that these corporate sponsors invest in BOTH candidates. They hedge their bets so that no matter who wins, they have a stake in their presidency. There really isn't much difference between the parties when it comes to corporate matters, it's just a matter of making sure you're "in" with the one that wins.

If government officials and congressman would uphold the rights defined by the constitution and defend liberty, there wouldn't be as much incentive for big businesses to invest in their campaigns. The reason Obama had a $1 Billion campaign was because investors knew they could get what they wanted in heavily investing in him. So far, their investment is paying off: The stock market is getting better and they got their bailout money. All the while inflation continues to rise, prices are still increasing, and unemployment remains at over 9% for the 3rd year in a row.

I'd say we're all losing at this point.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:44 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
With the weak field of potentional candidates, the huge divisions in conservative ranks and the enormously unpopular Medicare stance, does the GOP have any chance whatsoever in 2012? Should they even bother putting up a candidate? Or should they just run a "just for laughs" candidate like Ron Paul?

If they had an intelligent, viable candidate instead of the flavor of the month.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:07 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times
Quote:
With the weak field of potentional candidates, the huge divisions in conservative ranks and the enormously unpopular Medicare stance, does the GOP have any chance whatsoever in 2012? Should they even bother putting up a candidate? Or should they just run a "just for laughs" candidate like Ron Paul?
Right. It's like 1998 all over again. The economy is on fire and my house price is skyrocketing. And we aren't trapped in 3 useless wars.

What are you smoking?? A write in candidate could beat Obama and his pathetic track record. I'm curious what he is going to tout in his campaign. About the only positive I can think of is he got Osama.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:28 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
No sitting President with an unemployment rate as high as it is now has ever been re-elected, and Obama is in deep trouble in several states that he won in 2008.

Furthermore, he's lost the independent vote forever; they were suckered once in 2008, as were millions of the rest of us, and he can't win without them.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:48 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
No sitting President with an unemployment rate as high as it is now has ever been re-elected, and Obama is in deep trouble in several states that he won in 2008.

Furthermore, he's lost the independent vote forever; they were suckered once in 2008, as were millions of the rest of us, and he can't win without them.
depends on the nominee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections