Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,412,944 times

Advertisements

How do you justify supporting him when he instituted healthcare reform in Massachusetts that is nearly identical to your side's oft-hated "Obamacare"?

I just want to know... because it still makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
How do you justify supporting him when he instituted healthcare reform in Massachusetts that is nearly identical to your side's oft-hated "Obamacare"?

First, I havent decided who I will support, but how one would justify this is that healthcare is a state responsibility, not a federal one. He did his job as governor, but as president, the responsibilities are completely different.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,429,306 times
Quote:

Makes no sense to me either.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 AM

326 posts, read 870,234 times
That's just one issue. There are others out there, too.

I'd rather see a Huntsman candidacy.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Makes no sense to me either.
No surprise to see the left not understand the difference between a state, and the federal government. Its like you guys have never heard of the Constitution..

Old 06-09-2011, 11:17 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,978,585 times
I did not realize that healthcare is a 'state responsibility'. Live and learn.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:18 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,707,977 times
Quote:

Easy. Romney TRIED it a the state level where the people WANTED it. It was an EXPERIMENT and it FAILED. Unlike Barry, Mitt Romney did not push for it to be rolled out for the entire nation. The needs for people in one state are not the same in all states. That is why Arizona does not have a Coast Guard.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:18 AM

1,027 posts, read 823,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No surprise to see the left not understand the difference between a state, and the federal government. Its like you guys have never heard of the Constitution..

So in "Some cases" making a law that is "unconstitutional" is ok?

As long as its at the State level?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
So in "Some cases" making a law that is "unconstitutional" is ok?

As long as its at the State level?
This should be good.. Why is the law unconstitutional at the state level? I'll put this comment right in the trash can like the one you posted above.. Thats where they belong..

Old 06-09-2011, 11:20 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,412,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
First, I havent decided who I will support, but how one would justify this is that healthcare is a state responsibility, not a federal one. He did his job as governor, but as president, the responsibilities are completely different.
I actually agree with you on one point here: I support allowing each state to determine, in a referendum, if they will support universal single-payer, private healthcare, cooperative healthcare, etc. with the federal government providing a network that ensures compatibility between the 50 systems and ensures fairness so that if one state goes bad, a neighboring state isn't flooded with healthcare requests from the other.

However, with that said, it still doesn't make sense. The Republican mantra is for government to stay out of people's lives, yes? State government is still government, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections