Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:49 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,513,836 times

Advertisements

What do you think of Jon Huntsman?

Not much. I lived in Utah when it was under his control as governor.

Unimpressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:53 PM

27,857 posts, read 29,668,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I question though, if he's socially liberal enough to support mandates, is he really a fiscal conservative?
Yes he is.
Here's some good information on him. From that article:

Huntsman was elected twice as Governor of Utah, including in 2008 with a record percent of the vote, including the majority in all 29 counties. As Governor, Huntsman governed with his eye toward maintaining Utah’s unparalleled quality of life, continually increasing the state’s economic competitiveness and maximizing funding to Utah’s public education system.

During his tenure as Governor, Utah was repeatedly recognized by many prestigious organizations for its dynamism, business climate and quality of life. Perhaps most importantly, Utah was named by the Pew Center as the Best Managed State in America. Even in times of economic hardship, Huntsman worked collaboratively with stakeholders to minimize impacts to critical human services while maintaining job-stimulating construction projects and keeping the State's Rainy Day Fund intact as a tool for any future fiscal distress.

While he was Utah's Governor (5 years), he implemented a statewide flat tax, business incentives and private school vouchers, all of which were very appealing to fiscal conservatives. It is true, though, that he is socially more moderate (but I personally like that). When he stepped down as Governor, it was with an 80% approval rating.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:29 AM

37,728 posts, read 40,764,681 times
What made Obama owe him an ambassador job...and a REALLY big one at that - China? That's what I'd like to know. You know those ambassador jobs are given out like party favors to loyal supporters. China is a plum assignment. Very prestigious. You mean to tell me no Democrat wanted it and was qualified for it? Hard to believe...so I think something is rotten in Denmark with Mr Huntsman Jr (who was very qualified for the job, just suspicious that it was given to him). When Mr Huntsman got the job, were a lot of Democrats upset the President gave it to a Republican? If not, why not? Too suspicious.

Wrong eagle scout.

I say the Democrats will secretly connive to get our GOP candidate to be Obama-lite so that in the general election people think, why vote for Obama lite when you can have the real thing? Watch the national liberal media on this guy compared to the way they treat some of our more contrastable candidates to Obama.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:45 AM

“You are a remarkable leader,” Huntsman wrote to Obama in an Aug. 16, 2009 note, underlining the word “remarkable,” “and it has been a great honor getting to know you.”

In an Aug. 10, 2009 letter to former President Bill Clinton, Huntsman was similarly effusive. “I have enormous regard for your experience, sense of history and brilliant analysis of world events. Please save some time for me when I’m next in New York,” Huntsman said.

“I must report that Sec. Clinton has won the hearts and minds of the State Dept. bureaucracy — no easy task. And after watching her in action, I can see why. She is well-read, hard working, personable and has even more charisma than her husband! It’s an honor to work with her,” Huntsman wrote."

Jon Huntsman | Obama Letter | Huntsman's 'remarkable' letters to Obama, Clinton reveal adulation for chief executives | The Daily Caller

Yeah....that's going to make Republicans run right out and vote for him. In the last 20 years, I have NEVER heard Hillary Clinton described as personable and charismatic. Of course, now that Huntsman wants the GOP nomination, Obama is a dirty dog.

But Obama says of Huntsman, "I'm sure him having worked so well with me will be a great asset in any Republican primary." (Jan 2011)

Obama Jokes About Running Against Huntsman in 2012 | Video - ABC News

Maybe Obama will do a campaign ad for him.

Last edited by LauraC; 06-18-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 06-18-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yeah....that's going to make Republicans run right out and vote for him.
It would make me more inclined to. I absolutely detest the constant mud-slinging that goes on in both parties. When someone can say something nice about his opponent, it actually makes me respect them more. Yeah, I know I'm in the minority but that's how I feel.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:14 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
No, worse. I work for the public school system. I'm just asking a question. How about answering it instead of simply putting up a link?
I believe by posting the link you are being given an answer to your question. What more do you want?

Nita

Old 06-18-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It would make me more inclined to. I absolutely detest the constant mud-slinging that goes on in both parties. When someone can say something nice about his opponent, it actually makes me respect them more. Yeah, I know I'm in the minority but that's how I feel.
Well, let's put it this way, after 7 months in office what would make Mr Huntsman think President Obama was a remarkable leader? He must have been talking to those same people that hand out nobel peace prizes based on what they hope you will do to earn it. And do you know anyone, anyone at all besides maybe her daughter, that has ever described HILLARY Clinton as personable and charismatic. I've seen her called some nice things (not being facetious) but never those two things. Sounds more like someone sucking up, at that time, for a job he wanted.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:00 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,217,421 times
I am just starting to like Huntsman. I can get over the Remarkable comment. Obama did reach out to Huntsman who was probably the most competent mandarin speaking candidate for Ambassadorship. Can you imaging a leftist going into China harranging them about Human Rights and Pollution day in and day out?

Unless Obama is going to outright say he made a big mistake in selecting Huntsman to be ambassador to China, arguably the most important Ambassadorship in modern times, Obama is going to have some difficulty ripping on him.

I am looking forward to seeing more.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:52 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,897,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes he is.
Here's some good information on him. From that article:

Huntsman was elected twice as Governor of Utah, including in 2008 with a record percent of the vote, including the majority in all 29 counties. As Governor, Huntsman governed with his eye toward maintaining Utah’s unparalleled quality of life, continually increasing the state’s economic competitiveness and maximizing funding to Utah’s public education system.

During his tenure as Governor, Utah was repeatedly recognized by many prestigious organizations for its dynamism, business climate and quality of life. Perhaps most importantly, Utah was named by the Pew Center as the Best Managed State in America. Even in times of economic hardship, Huntsman worked collaboratively with stakeholders to minimize impacts to critical human services while maintaining job-stimulating construction projects and keeping the State's Rainy Day Fund intact as a tool for any future fiscal distress.

While he was Utah's Governor (5 years), he implemented a statewide flat tax, business incentives and private school vouchers, all of which were very appealing to fiscal conservatives. It is true, though, that he is socially more moderate (but I personally like that). When he stepped down as Governor, it was with an 80% approval rating.
Just going out on the limb here to say that you are Mormon like huntsman.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Just going out on the limb here to say that you are Mormon like huntsman.
I'm a Utahn. I'd vote for Huntsman, because I like his politics. It has nothing to do with his religion. I would not vote for Romney (at least not in this election). If it ends up being Romney vs. Obama, I'll vote Obama. Do you choose to vote or not to vote for someone based on his religion? If you do, you should be ashamed of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections