Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
First Read - Paul wins RLC straw poll; Romney fades to fifth

NEW ORLEANS -- Ron Paul won the straw poll here at the Republican Leadership Conference overwhelmingly with 612 votes, drawing big boos and some quieter chants of "Ron Paul." Jon Huntsman finished a surprising second with 382 votes, despite being a late scratch because of a "bad cold." Michele Bachmann was third with 191 votes.

Herman Cain was fourth with 104 votes. Mitt Romney, the presumed front runner, who won the straw poll here a year ago, faded to fifth with 74 votes. Tim Pawlenty finished with just 18 votes, fourth from the bottom of the 12-person ballot, just ahead of Gary Johnson (10), Buddy Roemer (9), and Rep. Thaddeus McCotter (2).

Paul’s ardent followers packed the ballroom here before, during, and just after his speech, but they were barely seen listening to other speeches. They have organized to win straw polls at many other conservative events as well.

Romney, who did not attend this year or last, was criticized here for not signing onto a legislative pledge from anti-abortion-rights group Susan B. Anthony List. The group released the list of presidential candidates who signed onto the pledge yesterday afternoon. Most signed on; Romney did not.
Huntsman being second and not ever attending gives an indication as to how meaningful these straw polls are.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Ron Paul is the only non-corporate candidate running.

That is his biggest vulnerability, unfortunately.
You are right, it might be unfortunate but at least you can see this, while others can not. It is time to get real about who can get the nod, possibly beat Obama and has, at least some views the Republicans can accept.

Nita

Old 06-19-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
That's why the GOP will lose in 2012. Anti-abortion is their top agenda. Well, you can add to that a long list of anti anything that assists people or planet while they want to line the pockets of the ultra rich, and corporate hoes.

The GOP has been hi-jacked by religiouscrats and fascists. Example: The new WI governor is more dictator than governor and the people are not going to forget. You really think WI voters will vote for his female mirror, Michele Bachman?
If the abortion issue was ever going to be a real issue in politics, changes would have been made while Bush was in the White House. it will not be any bigger issue now than it has been in the past 30 or so years. Do many of the candidates believe in the life of a baby? Yes, will it become a voter decision I don't think so.

Nita

Old 06-19-2011, 04:13 PM

865 posts, read 675,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Huntsman being second and not ever attending gives an indication as to how meaningful these straw polls are.
Well Huntsman bused boatloads of people in from his campaign. That's very different than a crowd of supporters that just happen to come off a bus organically, without any campaign.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:55 PM

910 posts, read 1,675,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
You're right he really should run on the Constitutionalist platform. That would be cool.
Thats really what he is. I know Ron endorsed Chuck Baldwin in 2008, and he was a Constitutionalist candidate.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:33 PM

232 posts, read 221,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
Well Huntsman bused boatloads of people in from his campaign. That's very different than a crowd of supporters that just happen to come off a bus organically, without any campaign.
I am the biggest Ron Paul supporter out there, but the results of this poll are skewed. His campaign was giving away tickets to supporters who were willing to come to New Orleans.

I'm not saying whether or not that's good or bad. I, for one, think it's just fine. But at the same time, the vast discrepancy between 1st and 2nd (a candidate that wasn't even there and hasn't announced yet) seems almost counterproductive. It doesn't reflect reality and I don't think it represents anything significant besides the organizational skills of Dr. Paul's campaign, and the loyalty of his supporters.

That being said, Ron Paul 2012.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:54 PM

865 posts, read 675,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJefferson View Post
I am the biggest Ron Paul supporter out there, but the results of this poll are skewed. His campaign was giving away tickets to supporters who were willing to come to New Orleans.

I'm not saying whether or not that's good or bad. I, for one, think it's just fine. But at the same time, the vast discrepancy between 1st and 2nd (a candidate that wasn't even there and hasn't announced yet) seems almost counterproductive. It doesn't reflect reality and I don't think it represents anything significant besides the organizational skills of Dr. Paul's campaign, and the loyalty of his supporters.

That being said, Ron Paul 2012.
Everyone's campaigns were giving out tickets. But Paul didn't bus people in. Someone said Paul's campaign only gave out around 80 tickets too... that leaves about 530 votes that weren't linked to the campaign. He really did have the best speech, so I am not surprised.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:17 PM

232 posts, read 221,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
Everyone's campaigns were giving out tickets. But Paul didn't bus people in. Someone said Paul's campaign only gave out around 80 tickets too... that leaves about 530 votes that weren't linked to the campaign. He really did have the best speech, so I am not surprised.
Me either. While not as eloquent as others, his passion, vigor, and message always inspire me to learn more, and spread the message.

I also agree that Jon Huntsman's results in the poll were more damning than Dr. Paul's. Not only does he bus 'em in, he can't even show? So now you blow it off and you still get 2nd? pffff...

FUJH

Old 06-19-2011, 06:21 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Oh how funny. Maybe read the again why Romney was criticized.
The two biggest issues are the economy and the Middle East. This has been documented many times by the GOP themselves, When I want to know what is important to the GOP I'll listen to them and not to your misguided perception.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:32 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,827,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Most candidates organize. Are they saying Ron Pauls supporters were the best at it this time?
IMHO Paul supporters have consistently been the best at grassroots organizing. I have never seen such enormous commitment to a primary candidate in either party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.