Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I do understand he doesn't believe in gay marriage. Do you believe he will try to overturn New York's decision?

My point is, I can play the "under my watch" game as well as the conservatives can. And both sides know it's a game independents love to play.
of course he will not, no Pres would: again, most Pres realize this is not their place, not to mention a Pres can not overturn such a law. I just talked to my gay daughter a few minutes ago. She lives in Or with her partner of 18 years. I asked her, if OR passed a law legalizing Gay marriage would they get married? SHe said probably not, marriage is a religious ceremony between a man and woman. SHe thinks all these laws are really dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course he will not, no Pres would: again, most Pres realize this is not their place, not to mention a Pres can not overturn such a law. I just talked to my gay daughter a few minutes ago. She lives in Or with her partner of 18 years. I asked her, if OR passed a law legalizing Gay marriage would they get married? SHe said probably not, marriage is a religious ceremony between a man and woman. SHe thinks all these laws are really dumb.
y

My gay sister-in-law is un-political that way too.

But the issue is one of equal opportunity, not individual preference. Your daughter and my sister-in-law don't want to get married, but plenty of gays do. Shouldn't everyone have the same opportunity to choose for themselves?

Oh yeah, Perry sux (Don't want to be accused of thread hi-jacking )

Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No Pres would?? Have you listened to the GOP field on this issue?? They basically all would overturn the law (Huntman, Paul and Johnson seem to be the only ones hat wouldn't)

Old 06-27-2011, 08:42 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,692 times
Quote:
So you think Perry would have a chance to beat Obama? Please delineate how you believe this would happen in light of the fact that the rest of the country is much more socially liberal than Texas.
Seriously, when was the last time a former governor from Texas was president?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
Perry doesn't like the USA. He was threatening secession just last year. Why would the GOP nominate someone who hates the USA?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
y

My gay sister-in-law is un-political that way too.

But the issue is one of equal opportunity, not individual preference. Your daughter and my sister-in-law don't want to get married, but plenty of gays do. Shouldn't everyone have the same opportunity to choose for themselves?

Oh yeah, Perry sux (Don't want to be accused of thread hi-jacking )
I think you are missing the point, but that is my opinion, maybe I am wrong. I believe, like our daughter, marriage is a religious ceremony between a man and a woman, that is what the ceremony says. As long as everyone has equal legal rights the marriage issue shouldn't be one.

I will repeat, this is my feeling plus I don't think any Pres would make this an issue. All some of the candidates are giving us, is their personal beliefs and views. None would try to overturn a law on the books, nor could they, without the support of both houses or the people.

Nita

Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
No Pres would?? Have you listened to the GOP field on this issue?? They basically all would overturn the law (Huntman, Paul and Johnson seem to be the only ones hat wouldn't)
i think you need to really pay more attention. That is not what is being said. In fact Bachmann, the most socially conservative of the bunch in my view has said, she would not interfer with states rights. She said that on the debate and on the interview with Chris Wallace. You know enough about politics to know one person can not overturn a law anyway.

Nita

Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You must not be listening to Bachmann then. She says that while she personally believes that marriage should be between and man and a woman, she thinks it should be up to the individual states to decide.

Anyone that says "basically" is just someone that is stretching the truth to fit their agenda.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:13 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Go ahead and nominate him. Here's more legislation passed under his watch that most certainly is a turn-off to independents.

House further restricts abortions with health bill | AP Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/7628754.html - broken link)
Rick Perry is a 10th amendment guy. He thinks the feds need to get out of the way on a lot of issues and let the states decide with their state and locally elected politicians. What works for Texas doesn't necessarily work for Vermont and vice versa. You have the freedom to vote with your feet by deciding where you want to live. He wrote a whole book on it. Read it.

I can't speak for Bachmann. I wouldn't vote for her (or Santorum, Paul, Gingrich) because they lack governing experience.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:22 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Perry doesn't like the USA. He was threatening secession just last year. Why would the GOP nominate someone who hates the USA?
Or who hates the American people and think we're all potential terrorists, since he loves the TSA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections