U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 AM

2,618 posts, read 5,159,935 times

Advertisements

Tea Party's Pick: Michele Bachmann or Ron Paul?

Great article about why Ron Paul is about to pull over a major upset, and how all these polls and ratings of Bachmann and Romney are meaningless this early in the game.

The people want Ron Paul. The media, big business, and government do not. That is why we need him to be president because he is the people's ace in the hole. He is the only one that can save this nation from monetary and financial collapse.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 05:29 PM

9,035 posts, read 13,620,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post

Great article about why Ron Paul is about to pull over a major upset, and how all these polls and ratings of Bachmann and Romney are meaningless this early in the game.

The people want Ron Paul. The media, big business, and government do not. That is why we need him to be president because he is the people's ace in the hole. He is the only one that can save this nation from monetary and financial collapse.
Great article. I hope the writer is right. I would LOVE it if Ron Paul got the nomination. Imagine watching the debates between Ron Paul and Obama! Obama wouldn't be able to hold a candle to Ron Paul on the issues EVEN THO HE HAS BEEN PRESIDENT.

I knew Bachman was a RINO but reading that she voted for the stimulous bill just reaffirms my decision not to vote for her. How can any taxpayer ever trust someone who did that? Also I don't think we need any attorney's or accountants as president. They will be the LEAST likely to simplify and reduce the size of the Federal Register or cut back or get rid of the IRS.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:00 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,570,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post

People who don't think Ron Paul has a chance are delusional... They fail to see the overwhelming support he has. It doesn't help that the media constantly tries to ignore him though.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:26 AM

22,200 posts, read 9,273,920 times
Bachmann is slowly coming around based on her rhetoric. She has changed her tune and voted against the bailouts.
However, I don't like the fact, at one time she supported bailouts (Pelosis' plan), still supports the Patriot Act and wants to war monger in Afghanistan.
So shes good (conservative) on the economy, bad on civil liberties, bad on foreign policy. Although when you say economy, the money spent on the military in areas having nothing to do with protecting our borders is hurting our economy.

LMAO I'm reaching so much to find a conservative besides Ron Paul and Gary Johnson. It's a big drop from those two to Pawlenty and Bachmann as far a being conservative imo. I don't quite understand someone who says they are for smaller government while some of their important policies are the opposite.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:34 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,570,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
LMAO I'm reaching so much to find a conservative besides Ron Paul and Gary Johnson. It's a big drop from those two to Pawlenty and Bachmann as far a being conservative imo. I don't quite understand someone who says they are for smaller government while some of their important policies are the opposite.
Its sad we have to reach to find a conservative in the party that is supposed to be conservative! In this country it feels like every four years you get a choice between two establishment candidates who have the same agenda...

Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 AM

33,480 posts, read 31,519,090 times
He seems to have no problem raising money and I think he'll last longer than some other candidates who won't be able to afford to go the distance. Which state primaries do you think he has a shot of carrying?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 AM

9,604 posts, read 14,055,894 times
If I were conservative, I would agree he'd be the best candidate. As a liberal, even I like Ron Paul a lot.

But, he has no chance.

He's too old. Too many people also see him as strange, which is a real shame.

If you want a Paul running for president, groom Rand for a later election. He's your best shot.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,897,252 times
Quote:
Which state primaries do you think he has a shot of carrying?
The West is his strongest area by far. North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho, Washington,and Oregon are his to lose. He has a good chance of sweeping most of the non-Mormon votes in Utah and Nevada although Romney will probably prevail there. I have no clue about California or Arizona, they seem more neoconish than the rest of the West.

If Paul wins though, he will have to ramp it up in the Midwest - his second strongest region. The Midwest has a strong history of anti-war conservatism, even isolationism. See Robert Taft and Charles Lindbergh. Iowa is a must win. He will have to do very well from Minnesota to Ohio.

Ironically, the South and Northeast are his worst regions despite him growing up in Pittsburgh and living in Texas most of his life. Neither region is very friendly to the libertarian wing of the party. The South because of social issues and the northeast because the GOP there dominated by big government favoring Wall Streeters and foreign policy hawks.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:04 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,897,252 times
Quote:
If you want a Paul running for president, groom Rand for a later election. He's your best shot.
That's the plan. If Ron doesn't break through now, Obama will probably cruise to victory against an establishment candidate with no enthusiasm. After the country is still in a malaise, it will be ripe for Rand in 2016. And he will have a ready made base to push him through thanks to his father. And unlike his father, he is trusted by many of the generic Republicans who he'll need.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:47 AM

67,297 posts, read 77,014,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
The West is his strongest area by far. North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho, Washington,and Oregon are his to lose. He has a good chance of sweeping most of the non-Mormon votes in Utah and Nevada although Romney will probably prevail there. I have no clue about California or Arizona, they seem more neoconish than the rest of the West.

If Paul wins though, he will have to ramp it up in the Midwest - his second strongest region. The Midwest has a strong history of anti-war conservatism, even isolationism. See Robert Taft and Charles Lindbergh. Iowa is a must win. He will have to do very well from Minnesota to Ohio.

Ironically, the South and Northeast are his worst regions despite him growing up in Pittsburgh and living in Texas most of his life. Neither region is very friendly to the libertarian wing of the party. The South because of social issues and the northeast because the GOP there dominated by big government favoring Wall Streeters and foreign policy hawks.
He will not come close in NM unless Johnson is out by primary time (which may very well happen) even then it is unlikely. NV will go Romney or more mainstream. There are a lot of Mormons in NV. This is true about Idaho as well. The midwest will not even come close to supporting him, again, they are very traditional and main stream. A lot is going have to do with how he does in the early going. If he is carrying any states he might be able to surprise people and pick up Ca. States like Co, the Dekotas, etc I wouldn't even venture a guess.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or