Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:30 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
In order to compromise you have to have THE MUTUAL INTEREST OF ALL PARTIES INVOLVED as your interests. The Republican Party clearly doesn't have everbody best interest involved. It's obvious they have the oil industry, the health insurance industry, and the interests of the rich and other corporations. When it comes time to pull the voting lever they have the interest of social conservatives in mind. But everybody else in America? Not so much.
It is strange that the GOP has no problem cutting Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, but it's just too much of a stretch to repeal special tax breaks for oil corporations.

The GOP is full of sick people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Academic success means nothing in the real world without real experience to back it up. We can thank Obama for using his cabinet and czars to prove the point. The policies of the academics has failed miserably. Most return back to academia because the real world is too tough for them.
And I see your point in bold. But I would still vote for someone that showed a strong intellectual streak than some guy who didn't study much, and uses the term "common sense" as code word for "I'm winging it and don't know what I'm talking about".

Call me an elitist, but there you are.

Quote:
Originally posted by summers73
I'm wondering whether anyone considers Michael Munger an anti-intellectual? Tenured professor at Duke and former chair of poli sci dept, libertarian/conservative voice and Austrian school thinker.
But you see, he not only went to college, but he actually works at one. Therefore he isn't worth listening to, at least according to some posters in this thread.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:36 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
It is strange that the GOP has no problem cutting Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, but it's just too much of a stretch to repeal special tax breaks for oil corporations.

The DNC had control of all 3 houses for how long before 2010? Why didn't THEY remove the oil subsides and other subsidies if you guys hate them so much? Got milk?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:38 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
For the record, I think conservatives can be intellectuals. I know some smart conservatives, but for some reason most rank and file conservatives don't listen to those types, unfortunately.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:39 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The DNC had control of all 3 houses for how long before 2010? Why didn't THEY remove the oil subsides and other subsidies if you guys hate them so much? Got milk?
So why not get rid of them right now?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
And I see your point in bold. But I would still vote for someone that showed a strong intellectual streak than some guy who didn't study much, and uses the term "common sense" as code word for "I'm winging it and don't know what I'm talking about".........
The only current 2012 GOP candidate who uses the phrase "common sense" consistently is Herman Cain. He has both intellect and business as well as monetary policy experience. So, your point would be what exactly?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
For the record, I think conservatives can be intellectuals. I know some smart conservatives, but for some reason most rank and file conservatives don't listen to those types, unfortunately.
We don't listen to them because they too don't know what they are talking about. You see it's an ego thing. As soon as someone can put half of the alpphabet after their name, they think their shyt don't stink and they know EVERYTHING and are never wrong. You will NEVER hear a supposed academia intellectual admit they were wrong. NEVER!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
So why not get rid of them right now?
Your anger is false. You guys had how many years to put something forward? How many?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:43 PM

1,019 posts, read 590,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Conservative Columnist Fears Republican Movement | CJOnline.com

Brooks is the New York Times’ conservative columnist. He was schooled at the late William F. Buckley’s National Review, William Kristol’s Weekly Standard, and Murdoch’s Washington Times.

He lists in successive paragraphs movement beliefs that distinguish it from a normal political party. Brooks refrains from calling today’s GOP a cult, but that is what it sounds like.

First evidence is ”members of this movement do not accept the logic of compromise, no matter how sweet the terms.”

Brooks next writes “members of this movement do not accept the legitimacy of scholars and intellectual authorities.”
Pure Bunk.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 PM

1,019 posts, read 590,032 times
Quote:

The Constitution doesn't authorized Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid. They are beyong the bounds of any rational reading of the Constitution. Ergo, they SHOULD be elimiated. As far as special tax breaks for oil companies, I will assume you mean oil depletion allowance, which seems to me to be just a formm of depreciating an asset, i.e. and oil field..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections