Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Democrat Janice Hahn defeated Republican Craig Huey in a bitter contest for a Southern California House seat Tuesday, preserving the party's hold on the district and surviving an unusually tough race in a Democratic stronghold.

With 100 precincts reporting, Hahn, a Los Angeles city councilwoman, had 41,585 votes, or about 55 percent, to 34,636, or about 45 percent, for Huey, who owns marketing and advertising companies and largely bankrolled his campaign with nearly $900,000 in personal funds.
Democrat Janice Hahn wins Calif. US House race - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/07/13/general-us-california-special-election_8562085.html - broken link)

This was the seat held for many years by Jane Harman. Republicans had high hopes to win it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Democrat Janice Hahn wins Calif. US House race - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/07/13/general-us-california-special-election_8562085.html - broken link)

This was the seat held for many years by Jane Harman. Republicans had high hopes to win it.
I would have been shocked had it gone Republican. To beat a Hahn would be the first I think. They are a strong hold name in So Ca, have been for over 50 years.

Nita

Old 07-13-2011, 08:56 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would have been shocked had it gone Republican. To beat a Hahn would be the first I think. They are a strong hold name in So Ca, have been for over 50 years.

Nita
The Hahn family is L.A.'s version of the Kennedys (only without all the drama )

Janice's father is the late Kenneth Hahn, long-time L.A. Co. Supervisor. Her brother James is a former Mayor and City Attorney for L.A. I believe Janice is the first Hahn to make it to the national political stage.

Sadly, the family matriach, Ramona Hahn, passed away the night before the election, so she didn't get to see her daughter elected to congress. She was 86.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
The Hahn family is L.A.'s version of the Kennedys (only without all the drama )

Janice's father is the late Kenneth Hahn, long-time L.A. Co. Supervisor. Her brother James is a former Mayor and City Attorney for L.A. I believe Janice is the first Hahn to make it to the national political stage.

Sadly, the family matriach, Ramona Hahn, passed away the night before the election, so she didn't get to see her daughter elected to congress. She was 86.
it is sad Ramona passed away so close to the election. I am very much aware of the family history. My husband was a reporter for a large daily newspaper in the early 60s when Kenny was a county supervisor. I would say, they are a family diynesty (spelling) like the Kennedy's yes, but like you said, not the drama or scandal.

Nita

Old 07-13-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:

Did you follow the election at all?

A GOP media group called "Turn Right USA" came out with a viral video ad, depicting white, blond Janice as a pole dancer with "jungle fever" for L.A.'s black and Hispanic gang members. It's a hilarious piece of agit-prop, utterly devoid of propriety!

It also sets a new low standard for the GOP campaign tactics (quite a trick). I'll post a link in a sec.

Meanwhile, here's Janice's "Welcome to Congress!" message from the RNCC:

Washington --- National Republican Congressional Committee Communications Director Paul Lindsay today made the following statement in response to the special election results in California's 36th Congressional District:

"Janice Hahn is now Nancy Pelosi's problem. Between her pattern of unethical behavior and close ties to LA's most dangerous gang members, Hahn is adding to the pollution in the swamp of Washington corruption built by Nancy Pelosi's Democrats."

LOL! I want to say "welcome" to Ms Hahn too, as California sends another female to congress, and adds another (likely) member to the Progressive Caucus! (Hahn's a lot more liberal than Harmon)

Old 07-13-2011, 09:23 AM

Default Re: "Trun Right USA"

Here's the GOP guerrella media outfit responsible for the Janice Hahn pole dancer ad. They specialize in attack ads "unsafe for TV". Their mailing address is a drop box in a check-cashing store in Gardena, Ca

We'll be hearing more from this group in 2012.

Director Of CA-36 "Stripper" Ad Says He Reset Hahn Election | TPMMuckraker

Old 07-13-2011, 11:17 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:

You.are.joking....right?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:21 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:

Considering all the conservatives are high-tailing it out of CA, leaving the state to the progressives, not really a shock.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:35 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You.are.joking....right?
It was a seat the GOP was targeting quite heavily, it wasn't that realistic, but they made a hard play for the seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections