Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 01:06 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

Now some fresh pickings from the Political Grapevine:

Pet Projects

Texas congressman and Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul — who is campaigning as a critic of congressional overspending — has revealed that he is requesting $400 million worth of earmarks this year.

The Wall Street Journal reports Paul's office says those requests include $8 million for the marketing of wild American shrimp and $2.3 million to pay for research into shrimp fishing.

A spokesman says, "Reducing earmarks does not reduce government spending, and it does not prohibit spending upon those things that are earmarked. What people who push earmark reform are doing is they are particularly misleading the public — and I have to presume it's not by accident."

FOXNews.com - Ron Paul's $400 Million Earmarks - Brit Hume | Special Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 08:20 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Now some fresh pickings from the Political Grapevine:

Pet Projects

Texas congressman and Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul — who is campaigning as a critic of congressional overspending — has revealed that he is requesting $400 million worth of earmarks this year.

The Wall Street Journal reports Paul's office says those requests include $8 million for the marketing of wild American shrimp and $2.3 million to pay for research into shrimp fishing.

A spokesman says, "Reducing earmarks does not reduce government spending, and it does not prohibit spending upon those things that are earmarked. What people who push earmark reform are doing is they are particularly misleading the public — and I have to presume it's not by accident."

FOXNews.com - Ron Paul's $400 Million Earmarks - Brit Hume | Special Report

sounds like a political hit piece from one of the main news networks to hurt Paul's presidential efforts and help ensure a Hilliary Clinton victory. Make no mistake the networks are out to help Clinton win. Remember there's always two sides to every story, it's just that the news media, national and local, usually don't bother to report it.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:44 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
This isn't the first earmark by Ron Paul, but the funny thing is he votes against his own earmarks most of the time.

Its funny that Paul is IMO the Republican;s only chance of winning the election, but all the media reports are downplaying him and doing hit pieces to discredit him the best they can. The reason the conservative media members are doing it is because they don't like Paul and know that he's not from the puppet box that the other Republicans are from. The reason the liberal media doesn't like him is they know he stands a better chance than most Rep candidates if he were able to get the nomination.

Its a fine example of the total lack of objectivity and the complete takeover of bias and agendas that the media has become. There is no such thing as unbiased media anymore.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:20 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
This isn't the first earmark by Ron Paul, but the funny thing is he votes against his own earmarks most of the time.

Its funny that Paul is IMO the Republican;s only chance of winning the election, but all the media reports are downplaying him and doing hit pieces to discredit him the best they can. The reason the conservative media members are doing it is because they don't like Paul and know that he's not from the puppet box that the other Republicans are from. The reason the liberal media doesn't like him is they know he stands a better chance than most Rep candidates if he were able to get the nomination.

Its a fine example of the total lack of objectivity and the complete takeover of bias and agendas that the media has become. There is no such thing as unbiased media anymore.

You are exactly right tnbound2day!! I don't like the media and don't trust the media, local and national. I know what I am saying because I worked in the news business for over 16 years until I finally got fed up with the bias. I get sick whenever I hear media defenders (you know who you are) saying there's no bias. Give me a break You have to remember that most, if not all media, from small to major markets are owned by a select few mega companies, Clearchannel, Viacom etc. All IMO are left leaning, big government, big brother control types. This includes the so-called conservative media Some, such as Rush and Sean Hannity, will make pronouncements against Hiliary etc but they essentially work for one of these select few mega media companies. Many of their shows are heard on stations owned by these major companies in small and major cities. The conservative talk show hosts are somewhat beholden to these companies to keep them on the air and have the ratings high and the money flowing in. They tow their political line, but it's a fine political line. They know where not to cross that line or threaten to do so otherwise they'll be "Imus-ed". IMO they all have one goal and that's to get Hilliary elected. Make it a race of course, but the outcome must be another Clinton in the W-H Someone like Ron Paul gains any traction, especially if he's under, for now, the GOP banner, that must be stopped. So the full discredit campaign from the media, including so called conservative Fox news, gets into high gear. When have you heard Rush or Sean mention Ron Paul except to maybe discredit him. Heed what I say. If anything must be stopped it's the BUSH/CLINTON INC PRESIDENCY. It'll be a tough task but if enough people become aware a different outcome will result..it will have to.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:39 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
it's the BUSH/CLINTON INC PRESIDENCY. It'll be a tough task but if enough people become aware a different outcome will result..it will have to.
Holy shtt!! I just thought about that, if Hillary were to get elected and then re-elected, that would be 28 years total of America being presided over by 2 families. Not f'n cool at all. I swear in this day and age I'm almost to the point where I would support a term limit of ONE for the president.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:51 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
As another issue not discussed concerning Paul, he favors the disestablishment of the Federal Reserve and FDA food inspectors:

More of the Same at the Federal Reserve by Ron Paul

Congressman Paul's Legislative Strategy? He'd Rather Say Not. - washingtonpost.com

Old 08-10-2007, 10:43 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Holy shtt!! I just thought about that, if Hillary were to get elected and then re-elected, that would be 28 years total of America being presided over by 2 families. Not f'n cool at all. I swear in this day and age I'm almost to the point where I would support a term limit of ONE for the president.

Let's not totally forget the off chance that Willie could be her VP. That's a whole new level of skeery.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
One mans pork is another man's salt. Earmarked money is spent somehow and I think research on shrimp fishing or preferably farming is a good use of Federal money. Congressman Paul would be doing his district a disservice if he did not try and get some Federal dollars allocated at home. So long as he does not directly benefit form the earmark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections