Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:54 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,841,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Yeah it must have to do with race and not the fact that farm subsidies are not needed

I agree with her, farm subsidies to anyone (whether black, white, green, purple, red with polka dots) should not be handed out by the government.
According to the article that is not her position.

"that money [government farm subsidies] can be used to benefit the people along the Mississippi River and the Missouri River."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:12 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,924,117 times
Lets see, she has insulted gays, she has insulted blacks, and she has insulted every American with more than two brain cells to rub together and she wants to be President of the United States of America. Hmmmmmm, as the Dems would say to the GOP, PLEASE pick Bachmann as your candidate, Pleeeeease.
Casper

Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,245,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
I didn't say that. I'm saying that anyone who thinks blacks would vote republican is high on something.
You mean like Cain and Steele? What are you smoking?

Last edited by Ecovlke; 07-19-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,245,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Bachmann was speaking specifically about the Pigford settlement, not farm subsidies in general. She's echoing an oft-repeated assertion that a settlement of redress for USDA's decades-long discriminatory lending practices towards black farmers was unfair. In Bachmann's world, when black farmers get compensated to make up for USDA not granting them loans, it's, in her words, "fraud".

And you should change your statement to, "I disagree with her, farm subsidies to anyone (whether black, white, green, purple, red with polka dots) should not be handed out by the government."

Because Michele Bachmann is not against government farm subsidies, both for Minnesota farmers and herself.

"Your efforts to stabilize prices through direct government purchasing of pork and dairy products are very much welcomed by the producers in Minnesota, and I would encourage you to take any additional steps necessary to prevent further deterioration of these critical industries, such as making additional commodity purchases and working to expand trade outlets for these and other agricultural goods."

Bachmann, in a letter to USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack in 2009.
Well stated! And frankly, this 'woman' cannot fade fast enough. I'm beginning to think it will be her husband who cracks first, as the pressure mounts, so too, will her migraines.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,904,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Michele Bachmann Criticizes Black Farmer Settlement
Alienating the African Americans and the Agricultural community at once? But surely endearing herself to the white racists.
Do you prefer a candidate that enables such fraud as the Pigford Settlement largely was?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:36 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,904,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post

"that money [government farm subsidies] can be used to benefit the people along the Mississippi River and the Missouri River."
You are aware that there has been massive and devistating flooding this year along this country's two longest rivers, right?

Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,401,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post

It is her position. "That money" is referring to the Pigford settlement, not to farm subsidies in general. It's classic dog whistle tactics, it's needlessly divisive, and suggests that Bachmann has no respect for our system of checks and balances, because "that money" was to finally settle a fully and fairly litigated case in the federal courts.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,137,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Yeah it must have to do with race and not the fact that farm subsidies are not needed

I agree with her, farm subsidies to anyone (whether black, white, green, purple, red with polka dots) should not be handed out by the government.
But BACHMANN thinks FARM subsidies handed to HER by government are just fine!

You disagree with her???

Old 07-20-2011, 08:29 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,279,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
But BACHMANN thinks FARM subsidies handed to HER by government are just fine!

You disagree with her???
This is just a lie and factually inaccurate. She received money from a trust fund her father-in-law set up for her before she died. Yes, her father-in-law was a farmer and received subsidies, some of which went into the trust fund.

Let me ask you-- do you have access to your father-in-law's bank account? I sure as hell can't tell my father-in-law what to do with his finances.

Her father-in-law received farm subsidies. Her father-in-law had set up a trust in her husband's name. The money went into a trust and was paid out to Bachmann and her husband after his death.

Are you responsible for your father-in-law's actions? You expected her to tell her father-in-law to go shove it? Would you talk to your father-in-law this way when he is on his deathbed? Let's not be ridiculous-- it isn't like she filled out forms and requested farm subsidies from the government herself.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,629,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Do you prefer a candidate that enables such fraud as the Pigford Settlement largely was?
But of course there was nothing wrong with the decades of discrimination that led to it..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections