U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 PM

34,692 posts, read 33,700,331 times

Advertisements

Newt Gingrich was an army brat and lived in several places in his youth including France.

"We left Pennsylvania when I was 10 years old. And I liked Pennsylvania. We had relatives in the mountains just below State College. We would go up and stay there during the summer and go looking for deer. It was fun...Orleans was the most interesting in the sense that my dad was too low in rank to live in Army housing. So we lived in a beautiful little town by a river about 18 miles west of Orleans toward the sea."

Military Kids Speak: Interview with former Army Kid Newt Gingrich for Military Kids Speak (http://blog.militarykidsspeak.com/2011/05/interview-with-former-army-kid-newt.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 AM

71,983 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Newt Gingrich was an army brat and lived in several places in his youth including France.

"We left Pennsylvania when I was 10 years old. And I liked Pennsylvania. We had relatives in the mountains just below State College. We would go up and stay there during the summer and go looking for deer. It was fun...Orleans was the most interesting in the sense that my dad was too low in rank to live in Army housing. So we lived in a beautiful little town by a river about 18 miles west of Orleans toward the sea."

Military Kids Speak: Interview with former Army Kid Newt Gingrich for Military Kids Speak (http://blog.militarykidsspeak.com/2011/05/interview-with-former-army-kid-newt.html - broken link)
If I remember correctly he was adopted as an infant. Not that is important, just interesting I think. Maybe I pay more attention to stuff like that because 2 of our 4 kids are adopted and one is a foster child.

Anyway, thanks for doing this, it is interesting and shows something some may not even pick up on: Republicans, just like Democrats come from all walks of life. Some are raised in working class families, others in privledged famlies. How many hear, all the time< the Republicans are the party of the rich.

NIta

Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 AM

58,188 posts, read 41,002,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Anyway, thanks for doing this, it is interesting and shows something some may not even pick up on: Republicans, just like Democrats come from all walks of life. Some are raised in working class families, others in privledged famlies. How many hear, all the time< the Republicans are the party of the rich.NIta

About as many who hear all the time Republicans are the ones with 'family values' and live on higher moral ground than Democrats. I guess ol' Newt's good at dispelling a number myths.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:14 AM

71,983 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
About as many who hear all the time Republicans are the ones with 'family values' and live on higher moral ground than Democrats. I guess ol' Newt's good at dispelling a number myths.
nothing to do with my comment sir..I am simply pointing out: both parties have candidates that come from all walks of life, I was not referring to any one person and I certainly wasn't nor would I ever support Newt. I could have posted the same to anyone of the candidates. I just happened to have read this one last.

Nita

Old 07-28-2011, 12:54 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,564,141 times
Quote:

Where's the proof?

I want to see official documents( no copies), sworn statements, real records, dates ....otherwise it's just a bunch of BS.

I mean, not that Newtsie isn't just the dang most honest little ol' politician.....:roll eyes:

Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 AM

25,235 posts, read 14,054,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Where's the proof?

I want to see official documents( no copies), sworn statements, real records, dates ....otherwise it's just a bunch of BS.

I mean, not that Newtsie isn't just the dang most honest little ol' politician.....:roll eyes:
The whole idea is ludicrous, since when does crawling out from under a rock mean your were born, I say hatched.
Casper

Old 07-30-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The whole idea is ludicrous, since when does crawling out from under a rock mean your were born, I say hatched.
Casper
Ludicrous is hogging a forum with "They Were Born and Grew Up So We Repugs Will Support Them 'Cause that's All We Need"...threads.

Or Repugs vote for any sleazy Republican who had an outhouse and /or saw a deer and/or had parents....

Old 07-30-2011, 09:45 AM

34,692 posts, read 33,700,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ludicrous is hogging a forum with "They Were Born and Grew Up So We Repugs Will Support Them 'Cause that's All We Need"...threads.

Or Repugs vote for any sleazy Republican who had an outhouse and /or saw a deer and/or had parents....
It's important to me to know my candidate for President is not an urban bubble boy, that the issues of suburban, small town and rural America are ones he knows not that he read about in textbooks or saw portrayed on TV. I like Rudy Giuliani but for that reason, I could not vote for him.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
It's important to me to know my candidate for President is not an urban bubble boy, that the issues of suburban, small town and rural America are ones he knows not that he read about in textbooks or saw portrayed on TV. I like Rudy Giuliani but for that reason, I could not vote for him.
Well, if you're saying your Republican candidates haven't progressed past the age of ten, you may have a point.

You're saying if someone is born in a city they can't be a president....now THAT'S a great way to pick a candidate.. Heaven forbid you should check their ADULT experience, platforms, ideas, published writing, debates, voting record, ....just whether or not they had an outhouse...OK! OMG! Republicans! LOL!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:01 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,781,794 times
Quote:
Giuliani will never get the southern vote. A sad and true fact, as you already know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections