Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Just about anywhere-- considering what you pay for what kids learn? You get more education for your buck homeschooling by far.

Maybe that wasn't so 40 years ago when it only cost $1500 to send your kid to the most exclusive private country day prep school. Now the same school charges $28k! I know because I went to one of those schools. There is no way the education I got there is worth $28k per year. No education anywhere is worth that much. It is highway robbery. Yet taxpayers are paying $17k for mediocre education at best for public school.

Regarding Ron Paul not being "right" for America? Who would you suggest instead that is MORE "right"?

Of those who are running, except for maybe Gary Johnson or a third party candidate he is the best we can do by far. The others including the President can't hold a candle to his knowledge and experience in areas where we need a President to have knowledge and experience.
I do not agree with your education statement at all. If feel that if you are home schooled you will (most of the time) get a biased education and in public schooling they are at least held to standards of what to teach. It integrates kids better and makes them more rounded. If you go to a public school, you have to pay for it anyway whether or not you have a child who goes there.

Plenty of third party candidates, and even though these people aren't running for the upcoming election, they did last time:

Hillary Clinton and Dennis Kucinich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ron Paul believes no nation can remain free when the state has greater influence over the knowledge and values transmitted to children than the family does.
I don't care if someone home schools, I don't see it being better than public schooling in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 01:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post

I don't care if someone home schools, I don't see it being better than public schooling in most cases.

There is a lot more to it than just baby sitting.

That is what a lot of public schools are. Baby sitters.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:06 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
I do not agree with your education statement at all. If feel that if you are home schooled you will (most of the time) get a biased education and in public schooling they are at least held to standards of what to teach. It integrates kids better and makes them more rounded. If you go to a public school, you have to pay for it anyway whether or not you have a child who goes there.

Plenty of third party candidates, and even though these people aren't running for the upcoming election, they did last time:

You'd think that would be the case -- if the government really wanted to give kids skills. It turns out it is just the opposite and the sad thing is, it has been part of the elites plan for a long long time...and there is lots of PROOF it is going on.

You can see the results of our education system right here in City-Data. Look at how many SHEEPLE there are! They couldn't form an opinion, research it and defend it to save their lives!

I'm sure you've heard the phrase "Dumbing Down of America". Well it turns out that is exactly what the purpose of public school is. To teach an agenda and to make sure kids won't be able to think for themselves because of course, they are easier to control and manipulate if they can't think.

the deliberate dumbing down of america

‪Charlotte Iserbyt - Deliberate Dumbing Down of the World‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-05-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
You'd think that would be the case -- if the government really wanted to give kids skills. It turns out it is just the opposite and the sad thing is, it has been part of the elites plan for a long long time...and there is lots of PROOF it is going on.

You can see the results of our education system right here in City-Data. Look at how many SHEEPLE there are! They couldn't form an opinion, research it and defend it to save their lives!

I'm sure you've heard the phrase "Dumbing Down of America". Well it turns out that is exactly what the purpose of public school is. To teach an agenda and to make sure kids won't be able to think for themselves because of course, they are easier to control and manipulate if they can't think.
I'm not saying that the education system hasn't gone down, but as long as you go to a middle of the road school or better I see it being much better than home schooling.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying that the education system hasn't gone down, but as long as you go to a middle of the road school or better I see it being much better than home schooling.
But the point is, the taxpayer is getting a bad deal. Look at what they have been paying for the quality of student that the school systems are turning out. For a $500 investment. It is better that kids turn out a little biased but better able to THINK for themselves than for the taxpayer to pay $17k so they can have objectivity or socialization and not be able to read and write and think half as well as the kid who was home schooled.

Our schools used to be the best in the world. Now they are 15th or maybe 30th? It is frightening. Yet we don't demand any better for our kids. We accept the mediocrity and we accept being ripped off. The whole thing is atrocious! It is REALLY sad when parents don't get the big picture and side with teachers and think giving public schools more money is the answer.
The problem isn't the money. It is the Pavlog's Dogs methods they are using to teach the kids that is the problem.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
But the point is, the taxpayer is getting a bad deal. Look at what they have been paying for the quality of student that the school systems are turning out. For a $500 investment. It is better that kids turn out a little biased but better able to THINK for themselves than for the taxpayer to pay $17k so they can have objectivity or socialization and not be able to read and write and think half as well as the kid who was home schooled.

Our schools used to be the best in the world. Now they are 15th or maybe 30th? It is frightening. Yet we don't demand any better for our kids. We accept the mediocrity and we accept being ripped off. The whole thing is atrocious! It is REALLY sad when parents don't get the big picture and side with teachers and think giving public schools more money is the answer.
I always see schools saying to think for yourself, and you still are paying for the public school so why not utilize it?

I do agree, though, that our rank for education is scary. Although our universities are the best of the best surprisingly.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:34 PM

313 posts, read 833,922 times
Quote:

Quote:
I always see schools saying to think for yourself, and you still are paying for the public school so why not utilize it?

I do agree, though, that our rank for education is scary. Although our universities are the best of the best surprisingly.
How is sending your children to public school not going to produce a biased education?

The public schools are biased. If parents don't believe in what the public schools are teaching they should not have to send their kids there. They are their children and they have the right to educate them how they want.

Why utilize the public school system if it will not produce a good education? I think most parents that home school feel that it is worth it to have to pay for education supplies in addition to the taxes that they pay for the system.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:

I'm including universities in the dumbing down. They have also had to lower their standards. Ivy League Schools now are accepting kids that can barely construct a complex sentence! Needless to say that if kids aren't getting the education they should in high school, colleges if they want a student body are going to have to lower their admission standards considerably.

Read Charlotte Iserbyt's book since it is free and on-line now or listen to some of the interviews on her site. I think you'll be shocked and want better for our kids.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
How is sending your children to public school not going to produce a biased education?

The public schools are biased. If parents don't believe in what the public schools are teaching they should not have to send their kids there. They are their children and they have the right to educate them how they want.

Why utilize the public school system if it will not produce a good education? I think most parents that home school feel that it is worth it to have to pay for education supplies in addition to the taxes that they pay for the system.
It's the closest you'll get to not being biased. I keep saying that I don't care if you home school.

Public schools > home schooling. Let's say you major in math and education. You can teach your child math fairly well, that's all. You go to a public school, you have many people who majored in what they are teaching your child.

Quote:
I'm including universities in the dumbing down. They have also had to lower their standards. Ivy League Schools now are accepting kids that can barely construct a complex sentence! Needless to say that if kids aren't getting the education they should in high school, colleges if they want a student body are going to have to lower their admission standards considerably.

Read Charlotte Iserbyt's book since it is free and on-line now or listen to some of the interviews on her site. I think you'll be shocked and want better for our kids.
I was in agreement for the most part in the beginning. I'm not really big into conspiracy theories. Our higher education is not a problem, it really is something to be proud about.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:07 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
It's the closest you'll get to not being biased. I keep saying that I don't care if you home school.

Public schools > home schooling. Let's say you major in math and education. You can teach your child math fairly well, that's all. You go to a public school, you have many people who majored in what they are teaching your child.

I was in agreement for the most part in the beginning. I'm not really big into conspiracy theories. Our higher education is not a problem, it really is something to be proud about.
Colleges are not exempt.

Liberal bias in colleges bleeds into classroom - Campus Watch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections