Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 07:36 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There were a very few and very strong Thump supporters, the majority of the Republicans could never have even supported him. You are seeing what you want to see. The only three hopefuls (two are not running) that really spurred a lot of interest were/are, Christ, McDaniels and Perry. Yes, there are some very strong Romeny supporters but he isn't new on the scene and there are some strong Paul cheerleaders but he isn't new to the scene either. Of course there are those who are backing other Republicans which is the way it should be, but your statement is so far off it isn't funny.

Nita
I was speaking specifically about posts on C-D, Politico, WaPo, etc, where the enthusiasm for Trump as the GOP's great hope to defeat Obama was thick.

My statement wasn't far off at all. You can read through archives and find that whenever a candidate or even potential candidate was on the rise in the media's attention, conservative posters declared that person to be a shoe-in for defeating Obama.

That you claim Trump didn't spur a lot of interest really leads me to doubt your credibility from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 09:12 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Perry has a lot of baggage to overcome. The land deal scandals and the execution/coverup of an innocent man, sexual abuse at the Texas Youth Commision, fight clubs and deaths of kids at State institutions for the disabled for a start.
Now you come to his religious beliefs,.... The New Apostolic Reformation is a fundamentalist sect based on Pentacostalism. Do a wee bit of research on it. David Koresh and Jim Jones were followers of Apostolic Pentacostal sects as were Ted Haggard, Jimmy Swaggart, Lonnie Frisbee, Cedric Miller etc. etc.
Perry's Pastor's have stated that they are modern day prophets. If you had any issue with Jerimiah Wright, well,..... he was nothing compared to these nutjobs (IMO).
Because of your post, I started looking into him, and I'm not liking what I find. This pretty much sums it up. I fully expected to come back to this thread and defend him, not going to do that now.
Quote:
As a Texan I've watch Perry morph into what ever is going to get him votes. He is a professional POLITICAN, nothing else

Old 08-13-2011, 08:51 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times
Rick Perry is setting himself up as an elitest by boycotting the Iowa Straw Poll and debate and announcing his candidacy in SC today...This is a big turn-off to me. He's not a "super star" in my eyes. I might have taken him more seriously if he'd stood up on stage with the other candidates on Thursday night and taken some "heat" with everyone else.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:13 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Naturally, he'll be making his announcement 15 minutes before Ron Paul speaks in IOWA. Hopefully people will be watching C-Span and be listening to candidates speeches who bothered to go out there and compete and not be distracted by whatever networks might carry Perry.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:22 AM

It all seems like a game and scheme to me and this isn't the kind of person I want to vote for as president. We don't need any more "gamers." We already have too many in office right now. So I'm saying "no" right off the bat to Rick Perry!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I was speaking specifically about posts on C-D, Politico, WaPo, etc, where the enthusiasm for Trump as the GOP's great hope to defeat Obama was thick.

My statement wasn't far off at all. You can read through archives and find that whenever a candidate or even potential candidate was on the rise in the media's attention, conservative posters declared that person to be a shoe-in for defeating Obama.

That you claim Trump didn't spur a lot of interest really leads me to doubt your credibility from now on.
I know what you are referring to and again I will say it was only a handful that were gung hoe,Trump for instance. I don't have time to read through all the archives, but I would doubt there were more than a few who ever thought Thrump would even run, much less beat Obama, this goes for a few others as well.

Nita

Old 08-13-2011, 11:08 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
He's about to announce his candidacy.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:14 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Naturally, he'll be making his announcement 15 minutes before Ron Paul speaks in IOWA. Hopefully people will be watching C-Span and be listening to candidates speeches who bothered to go out there and compete and not be distracted by whatever networks might carry Perry.
Thank heavens for the time zone differences. Rick Perry is scheduled to announce now around 1 Eastern. Ron Paul won't start until 1:15 Central.

Evidently everything is behind schedule. C-Span is supposed to cover it all.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:19 AM

Watching Perry on TV right now...He seems a bit phony at times. He's certainly relying heavily on his notes.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:31 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Great speech, pounded obama. Plenty of red meat in there.

Notice - NO teleprompter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Watching Perry on TV right now...He seems a bit phony at times. He's certainly relying heavily on his notes.
Better than watching a tennis match with the NOTES on a teleprompter, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections